Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite veggie sausage?

What's the best banger?

• Total voters
I love veggie hotdogs but struggle to to find them. I bought a box of 4 in Sainsbury’s yesterday for a whopping £3.50 reduced from £4.25! Will report back with brand & taste.

Aye, I haven't been able to get veggie hot dogs for ages either - been looking since summer when OH fancied hot dogs.

Are they still ludicrously expensive? I remember them in the late 80s (in a box rather than a bag) and they like 15 times more expensive than a tin of meat ones - looking at the ingredients and the only difference is that the Tivall ones were 95% soya and the meat ones were 85% soya and 10% 'reclaimed meat'.

The Tivall ones aren't cheap, but I don't think any are, and a little goes a long way.

The Tivall ones aren't cheap, but I don't think any are, and a little goes a long way.

Tbh, the time I'm thinking about, the Tivall ones were the only veggie frankfurter/hot dogs you could get, so I guess they could charge what they liked. They also were only sold in health/veggie shops which are generally more expensive than supermarkets.

The best veggie frankenfurters I've had were these, from a German sausage company. I used to buy them in bulk to sell at my cafe, but they were still quite pricey - 20cm long though! Which, tbh, I found too much

The Tivall ones are a boycoters nightmare, being manufactured in Israel by an Israeli company that got taken over by Nestle, so I’m surprised they were common in health shops. Now in Sainsbury’s etc....I think they’re about 3 quid for 250g.

The only other ones I’ve tried are the Quorn ones which were a bit meh iirc.

The Tivall ones are a boycoters nightmare, being manufactured in Israel by an Israeli company that got taken over by Nestle, so I’m surprised they were common in health shops. Now in Sainsbury’s etc....I think they’re about 3 quid for 250g.

The only other ones I’ve tried are the Quorn ones which were a bit meh iirc.

I'm sure they weren't Nestle at the time or I wouldn't have bought them... I've just realised I'm talking about 30 years ago! :eek:

I love veggie hotdogs but struggle to to find them. I bought a box of 4 in Sainsbury’s yesterday for a whopping £3.50 reduced from £4.25! Will report back with brand & taste.
I'm such a veggie sausage loser I can tell you they were Moving Mountains brand. Let us know what they are like, I have a ridiculously fussy veggie child who will only eat enough to stop themselves from starving if the menu is veggie hotdogs. Which are now very expensive and hard to find. Tempted to get a tin of Ye Olde Oak in but reckon he would find out somehow;)

Not tried them all, but stuffed between two bits of bread and smothered in sauce, Cauldron are pretty much as good as the real thing.

I must be the only person to not love the Richmond meat free ones- so salty...ok as a treat but prefer the old fashioned quasi healthy seeming Cauldron

Little Willies are on offer in Sainsburys currently. I assume they've just started stocking them as I've only seen them in Co-op up to now. £2

I'm such a veggie sausage loser I can tell you they were Moving Mountains brand. Let us know what they are like, I have a ridiculously fussy veggie child who will only eat enough to stop themselves from starving if the menu is veggie hotdogs. Which are now very expensive and hard to find. Tempted to get a tin of Ye Olde Oak in but reckon he would find out somehow;)

They are & will do. I used to buy supermarket own brand say Asda or Sainsbury’s but not seen for ages.

Yep, trying ordinary moving mountain veggie sausages. If I remember rightly, they had a very course texture, like they were trying too hard. Were ok though.
It's great there are so many different ones available these days. There was a time it was almost Linda McCartney only.

M and S had in their freezer section loads of their vegan range reduced from a fiver to 1.25- their 'chorizo' pigs in blankets are great :)

I've got these in the oven at the moment. Anyone tried them? They sound nice but Aldi can be a bit hit and miss.
1610903998839.png

I didn't rate the other veggie sausages I had from Aldi (cauliflower / curry flavour I think). Maybe because as not a vegetarian, it didn't match my idea of a sausage.

I liked the Caldron / Quorn ones though.

Iceland used to make frozen vegan sausages and I liked them because they were great for making my gluten free sausage rolls and tasty too, contained beetroot. I've been unable to find any other wheat free veggie sausages (apart from the Heck green snail trail ones mentioned eariler). I got some Meatless Farm ones, they're made with pea protein rather than wheat rusk. They were absolutely disgusting to handle, totally slimy, worse than using animal mince, tbh. Just made sausage rolls with them, with a bit of cranberry sauce in each one (running down the xmas leftovers). Verdict: very meaty and filling, not as greasy as some veggie sausages that I've used, but a bit of a metallic aftertaste. Don't know if I'd buy again.

Got the richmond meat free sausages as sainbury's had them in.
Really good, very much like standard pork sausages in both taste and texture. Cauldron lincolnshire will remain my favourite but everyone on this thread whose said these are good is right, of course I was skeptical knowing richmond's meat sausages aren't the best but I'm going to agree with them for sure.

I didn't rate the other veggie sausages I had from Aldi (cauliflower / curry flavour I think). Maybe because as not a vegetarian, it didn't match my idea of a sausage.

I liked the Caldron / Quorn ones though.
I hated them! As a veggie, love vegetables or love sausage shaped things that can go with veg- not this lumpy mixture

Got the richmond meat free sausages as sainbury's had them in.
Really good, very much like standard pork sausages in both taste and texture. Cauldron lincolnshire will remain my favourite but everyone on this thread whose said these are good is right, of course I was skeptical knowing richmond's meat sausages aren't the best but I'm going to agree with them for sure.
I loved Cauldron when I could still eat wheat.

Had a delicious vegan hot dog on my walk today. If I was an actual vegetarian, rather than someone who tries to eat little meat, I would have had to go back to the stall and double-check, because it tasted very hot-doggy! Only the last couple of bites had a slight tell-tale cardboard flavour. Now I wish I had gone back to ask what they were so that I could buy them again.

Gave the Richmond veggie sausage a so-so review a while ago. After the glowing recommendations I had read for them, I was a little underwhelmed when I first tried them, but they have become a firm staple for me now. Great in a potato-veg-sausage tray bake, or a Ziti-style pasta bake. Yum!

I've now tried Little Willies. They're nice, they're more like a classy sausage whereas the Richmond ones are more like a cheap sausage (though I do like them).

They're not kidding though, they are little. Personally I'd prefer big willies...

Back
Top Bottom