Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite veggie sausage?

What's the best banger?

• Total voters
I tried mini veggie spring rolls the other week...Similarly disappointing and the last day of my stew went a bit more grey mush than usual...:hmm:

The Richmond meat free sausages look so convincingly like pork sausages that I have had to be really careful about labelling the bags when I freeze them - I think I've had veggie ones by mistake a couple of times. Fortunately making the opposite mistake is impossible, as I have just been assuming that everything in a freezer bag rather than the original packaging contains meat, following my sausage glut over summer - I really need to get some colour coded reuseable freezer bags though due to some meat free sausages looking exactly the same as their meaty counterparts these days!

Tried these Birdseye ones:

Capture.JPG

They were quite sausage-like in their texture and consistency, but were too salty and the flavour was too strong with a lingering aftertaste. They also exuded oil when cooked and so were very greasy.

Little Willies are great. We have Heck Vegfurters sometimes, which are the only ones that look remotely palatable from the range, and aren't too meaty.
I like Wicken Fen, but you don't see them very often, and I've just bought a kilo of Sosmix, so let the good times roll.

I couldn't eat anything made by Richmond * shudder *
I remembered you said Little Willies were good moose and bought some this week. They're bloody good. Like herby little chipolatas in texture and flavour. I might take some next time I'm with the folks and see if I can smuggle them past Pa Mogden in a fry up cos I reckon he'd be hard pressed to know they were veggie.

I'm still a fan of Linda McCartney rosemary and red onion if I want a veggie sausage butty or bangers and mash. However, I'm now addicted to Quorn mini cocktail sausages. When I saw them, I was thinking of using a packet to make cassoulet. I wanted to make cassoulet, but thought that bunging some Linda McCartney's in my slow cooker would lead to mush, they'd fall apart.

I liked the way the Quorn mini sausages look cooked. But I didn't get as far as making cassoulet, because I opened the packet to have a nibble on a couple of sausages while waiting for something else to cook.

And now I keep buying packets of Quorn mini cocktail sausages with the intention of making cassoulet but in reality, they're my go to snack, if I'm bored or have the munchies or want something to nibble while waiting for my dinner to cook. They're very more-ish.

I remembered you said Little Willies were good moose and bought some this week. They're bloody good. Like herby little chipolatas in texture and flavour. I might take some next time I'm with the folks and see if I can smuggle them past Pa Mogden in a fry up cos I reckon he'd be hard pressed to know they were veggie.
They are perfect breakfast sausages.

We're fans of the Richmond veggie sausage in this house. The veggies and carnivores are fine with them. I was wondering if anyone has tried them in the slow cooker?

I'm still a fan of Linda McCartney rosemary and red onion if I want a veggie sausage butty or bangers and mash. However, I'm now addicted to Quorn mini cocktail sausages. When I saw them, I was thinking of using a packet to make cassoulet. I wanted to make cassoulet, but thought that bunging some Linda McCartney's in my slow cooker would lead to mush, they'd fall apart.

I liked the way the Quorn mini sausages look cooked. But I didn't get as far as making cassoulet, because I opened the packet to have a nibble on a couple of sausages while waiting for something else to cook.

And now I keep buying packets of Quorn mini cocktail sausages with the intention of making cassoulet but in reality, they're my go to snack, if I'm bored or have the munchies or want something to nibble while waiting for my dinner to cook. They're very more-ish.
I agree about the Quorn minis. I often buy some in the supermarket and start eating them on the way home. I've been known to eat the whole packet before reaching my doorstep. :oops:

I agree about the Quorn minis. I often buy some in the supermarket and start eating them on the way home. I've been known to eat the whole packet before reaching my doorstep. :oops:
I have a packet in my fridge now, which I'm resisting the urge to open, because godammit I will try to make that cassoulet. And I know that I can't be trusted. If I open the packet just to have one or two, I'll finish it off within 24 hours.

Veggie hotdogs are generally very good, though I find they are not as widely available as they used to be, with only Tesco selling them locally. The Quorn ones I don't like, as they have a horrible skin on them.

This is the best thing I've had recently:

pb-bacon-new.png

I can’t even entertain the idea of eating anything made by Richmond, given what they did to their meat sausages, and their veggie ones look exactly the same. Taifun Wieners dead good. Used to like Tivall’s veggie frankfurters (and burgers) till we discovered they were Israeli, so we had to stop buying them.
We finally bit the bullet and tried Richmond veggie bangers. Actually very nice indeed. One word of warning. If you are frying them they need turning regularly as they burn easily. Mrs K says a big thank you to all those who recommended them.

Bought a couple of packets of Quorn mini cocktail sausages over lockdown 1 and it felt like they'd changed the recipe, to reduce fat, maybe. they were really dry/ almost dried out in comparison to the ones I'd been getting up to that point. Haven't bothered since. Maybe I was just unlucky?

Anyone had Iceland ones? Their veggie range is pretty good atm but I can't remember anything specific about their sausages. My local Home Bargains does the Meatless Farm ones for about £1.50 which is pretty good value, would recommend giving them a look.

Tonight's sausages are "Vegan Bites" Sage & Marjoram ...

... :hmm: ...

I can't say it's lighting up my world this weekend as a stew addition ... I wish I could get Cauldron near me ...
Second thoughts ...I think it needed for me to make things a bit less wholesome.
They're quite enjoyable combined with spuds, carrots, sprouts, parsnip and hummus ... tonights reheats will have baked beans ...

Thought I'd try the Vemondo vegan sausages from Lidl, they are new according to the box, don't remember seeing them before.
chickpea based with carrot and broad bean providing most of the rest of the bulk/protein.

taste wise way too peppery for me but I'm extremely sensitive to these things and other people might well not even notice, but this totally drowns out any other taste for me. If it's meant to mimic some traditional suausage like lincolnshire or cumberland I have no idea what it's meant to be (and tbf they don't sell it like that either).

texture wise it's, unsurprisingly really, a falafel in sausage shape. It really doesn't have anything like the texture of a pork sausage so if you're after that kind of substitute this isn't for you, it's really more like a sausage shaped falafel than a straight sausage substitute.

Personally if I want falafel, I'll make it myself and have it in a wrap rather than sandwich or salad rather than as part of a "meat and two veg" type dish, and I don't like the peppery taste, so definitely not going back to this one but those reasons are definitely down to personal tastes so might be great for other people.

OH got some sag aloo sausages from Morrisons yesterday, will report back when he's had some

We finally bit the bullet and tried Richmond veggie bangers. Actually very nice indeed. One word of warning. If you are frying them they need turning regularly as they burn easily. Mrs K says a big thank you to all those who recommended them.
Really like these cooked in the oven and surprisingly are my new favourite.

Tesco frozen plant based mini sausage rolls are great. Neat eating OH says he can hardly tell the difference just less greasy.

These literally taste like actual frankfurters, in fact I doubt many people could tell the difference in a blind taste test:

View attachment 244246

Are they still ludicrously expensive? I remember them in the late 80s (in a box rather than a bag) and they like 15 times more expensive than a tin of meat ones - looking at the ingredients and the only difference is that the Tivall ones were 95% soya and the meat ones were 85% soya and 10% 'reclaimed meat'.

I love veggie hotdogs but struggle to to find them. I bought a box of 4 in Sainsbury’s yesterday for a whopping £3.50 reduced from £4.25! Will report back with brand & taste.

Back
Top Bottom