Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

favourite type of apple

I think the most prolific tree is some sort of Scrumptious forerunner, not seen those in the shops for decades....
Still see them every year. They're an early variety though so only a very short season (it varies but as a general rule the earlier an apple is ripe, the less time it'll keep for)

I've identified one of the trees in my garden as Laxton’s Superb - anyone tried? They seem to be a small sour pudding apple.

I think the most prolific tree is some sort of Scrumptious forerunner, not seen those in the shops for decades....
Was there a particular ‘how to identify your apple tree’ site you used? I have a cooker that I would say isn’t a bramley in the veg plot here, that’s been here for years.

Was there a particular ‘how to identify your apple tree’ site you used? I have a cooker that I would say isn’t a bramley in the veg plot here, that’s been here for years.

I sent it off to Brogdale's ID service. In their reply they recommended "The New Book of Apples” by J. Morgan and A. Richards 2002.

I have a tree that I assume are Bramelys and haven't bothered checking otherwise just because they are on occasion so ginormous I assumed there weren't any other varieties that came close in size.

You can try IDing yourself based on fruit appearance / taste / how the fruit holds its shape when cooked, tip or spur bearing, when they flower and when they're ready to pick. Otherwise apple days wil often have someone there who can try to ID fruit - wrong time of year now but look out for one near to you in the late summer / early autumn. Brogdale collection (and a few other places iirc, have a google) can do IDs either from fruit samples or genetic testing, for a charge.

Last edited:
Still see them every year. They're an early variety though so only a very short season (it varies but as a general rule the earlier an apple is ripe, the less time it'll keep for)

That's interesting. My tree is much older than the Scrumptious variety but shares most of the characteristics, ripening at the end of August.

That's interesting. My tree is much older than the Scrumptious variety but shares most of the characteristics, ripening at the end of August.
There's a fair few varieties ripe around that time tbf. Do you have any idea which yours is?

The other indicator of a good keeper is skin that turns greasy. Mostly cookers but some eaters will do this too.

(For anyone looking to plant a very early variety I really recommend a fairly new one called Sunrise btw. Excellent flavour and it keeps really well for an August variety - mine are still proper crisp two weeks after being picked at full ripeness, without being kept in the fridge)

I sent it off to Brogdale's ID service. In their reply they recommended "The New Book of Apples” by J. Morgan and A. Richards 2002.

I have a tree that I assume are Bramelys and haven't bothered checking otherwise just because they are on occasion so ginormous I assumed there weren't any other varieties that came close in size.
This one has pink/ red flushed fruits and cooks down much slower than a bramley, but really great strong flavour.

We've got some very old trees here, a little over 100 years, don't know the varieties but they're delicious. Same with the pears, they might be conferencia but I'm not certain.

We tried kissabel apples recently
Not keen. They seem immortal though, we've had two remaining on the bowl for a couple of months.

Prolly Charles Ross.

Nearly always Discovery...or possibly Katy

I have a Golden Delicious I bought when I thought I might try hybridising (GD has been in the parentage of a surprising number of commercial apples). Kept because it produces copious apples which tasteNOTHING like the sorry abominations seen in supermarkets. A really good tree whereas the Coxes are long gone (scab, biennial bearing, rubbish).

Nearly always Discovery...or possibly Katy

I have a Golden Delicious I bought when I thought I might try hybridising (GD has been in the parentage of a surprising number of commercial apples). Kept because it produces copious apples which tasteNOTHING like the sorry abominations seen in supermarkets. A really good tree whereas the Coxes are long gone (scab, biennial bearing, rubbish).
Yeah the early variety Sunrise I recommended upthread is a cross between (iirc) McIntosh Red and Golden Delicious but FAR nicer than either of those.

GD does seem to be quite variable, I've had nice ones from non commercial growers but also know of a couple of trees in people's gardens that produce fruit barely as good as the supermarket ones.

In flavour, I agree. But I do understand that some people just aren't down with the skin on them. (and the early ones I have here are a bit more tart than I'd like)
I can’t eat them with the skin on but agree the flavour is lovely, and they’re delicious peeled and poached
I’ve got loads on my tree but would have to brave the enormous triffid stingers to get to them otherwise I’ve said friend down the lane welcome to get them for his cider press

Back
Top Bottom