Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

favourite type of apple

I've never tasted this one, but I'd love to.
It would also go in my virtual orchard.

www.enlli.org/english/subs/apples.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2773633.stm

The best apple I ever tasted was at Arbor Day Farm. It was this thing that looked like tree bark on the outside, but was sweet and nice on the inside. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the variety.

If you ever find yourself in Nebraska, Arbor Lodge is a good place to check out if you're into tree varieties. They have a preservation farm with a couple of hundred legacy varieties of apples.

Does cider count?

If not, then Braeburn.
I was just about to start a thread on apples mainly because I have just discovered Braeburn which are scrummy. They are nothing special to look at, their skin is quite firm, but underneath they are on the soft side and very juicy - no trouble for your gums which harder apples can be. They are a real pleasure and I hope my local Morrissons has more when I next go back.

Last edited:
I like Bramleys even though they are classed as a cooking apple. I hate red shiny apples

I wish I had a better memory, I worked on a fruit farm as a youth and there were endless varieties all with different characteristics. Painted lady springs to mind as one … wonder if there is a list of English apples online …

I had a favorite when I was a kid. I can remember the tree in an old orchard where they grew. No idea of the type, greeny yellow crunchy and sweet. Went and got a few every year.

1578613168264.jpeg
miss direct I’ve never been more tempted to press the “Report” button in all my years here!

they look nice but taste of cotton wool.

i miss Bramlies.

when I lived in the US I picked up a packet of frozen puff pastry. It had a recipe for apple strudel on the back. I like a nice apple strudel. Basically the method was to buy a tin of apple pie mix and wrap it in pastry. That counts as “making it from scratch” in America. They don’t have cooking apples there. Long story short, I surrendered my green card voluntarily.

Braeburn and coxes. Loved easting bramleys as a kid - me mam always let us have one when she was making apple pie/crumble.

Have you seen/tried that new variety grown in in the US Yuwipi Woman - cosmic crisp? It has to be better than that awful shiny red monstrosity that tastes of nothing.

Braeburn and coxes. Loved easting bramleys as a kid - me mam always let us have one when she was making apple pie/crumble.

Have you seen/tried that new variety grown in in the US Yuwipi Woman - cosmic crisp? It has to be better than that awful shiny red monstrosity that tastes of nothing.

I haven't, but I planted a new Canadian variety called "Starlight." It produced apples its first year that weighed the tree down to the point that I had to take apples off of it to keep the branches from being permanently bent. I have a Granny Smith that I'm still working with to get it to produce reliably after several seasons. I've been tempted the last two just to root it out and start over.

Last edited:
I haven't, but I planted a new Canadian variety called "Starlight." It produced apples its first year that weighed the tree down to the point that I had to take apples off of it to keep the branches from being permanently bent. I have a Granny Smith that I'm still working with to get it to produce reliably after several seasons. I've been tempted the last two just to root it out and start over.
I'd love to have an apple tree. We used to go and nick crab apples from someone's back garden at the end of the back alley when I was a kid (we called it oggy raiding - no idea why). I loved them - very sour and tart little apples, which probably explains why I love bramleys and like eating lemons by themselves.

I'd love to have an apple tree. We used to go and nick crab apples from someone's back garden at the end of the back alley when I was a kid (we called it oggy raiding - no idea why). I loved them - very sour and tart little apples, which probably explains why I love bramleys and like eating lemons by themselves.

I love the tart varieties too. The tarter, the better. Can't stand those overly sweet, mealy ones like Fujis.

Last edited:
Braeburn Developed in New Zealand and grown to perfection in England. Visually exciting, juicy and delivering a great balance of zing and sweetness.
December to May

Just out of my supply, must get more!!

I’m extremely partial to a Russet if I can find one. Some years ago I set up a community cider co-op and each Autumn put out a call for spare fruit. Last Autumn, someone who hadn’t contacted me before got in touch to say I could help myself from their 3 trees. I was pleasantly surprised to find one of these trees was laden with Russets. Up until that point I hadn’t seen them for years so filled my boots and probably ate as many as I used for scrumpy. Lovely leathery skinned beauties :thumbs:

Love apples! Royal Gala or Jazz/Pink Lady. Royal Gala is more affordable so I buy that, mostly. Didn't realise Jazz was developed in New Zealand and Pink Lady from Australia (according to google).

Also, if you want to keep your apples crisp and fresh from longer, keep them in the fridge. I HATE crumbly apples bleurgh!

Love apples! Royal Gala or Jazz/Pink Lady. Royal Gala is more affordable so I buy that, mostly. Didn't realise Jazz was developed in New Zealand and Pink Lady from Australia (according to google).

I always got the feeling that Jazz apples are some sort of lab-created monstrosity.
But I like them, so I don't care.

I always got the feeling that Jazz apples are some sort of lab-created monstrosity.
But I like them, so I don't care.

Ah, well, most of the fruit and veg we eat has been engineered by us, either slowly or quickly... ;) So, don't worry about it :D

I mean, look at broccoli! "is native to the Mediterranean. It was engineered from a cabbage relative by the Etruscans—an ancient Italian civilization who lived in what is now Tuscany—who were considered to be horticultural geniuses. "

Laxton's Fortune - best eater
Charles Ross- best cooker although homegrown Bramleys are also decent (not shop bought - there is a difference. Golden Delicious, when grown well, are surprisingly good...but from a commercial orchard, well, nope)
Idared - worst
Catshead for cider
Katy or Discovery for juice

also partial to James Grieve and Reine d'Orleans...but, given the choice between a perfect apple or perfect pear, the pear wins every time.

I mean, look at broccoli! "is native to the Mediterranean. It was engineered from a cabbage relative by the Etruscans—an ancient Italian civilization who lived in what is now Tuscany—who were considered to be horticultural geniuses. "

"Engineered from cabbage?" - didn't know that. :)

I gather the supermarkets aren't fond of Russets because they look very... meh, compared to other apples. But the flavour and crispness of them is unbeatable.

One thing I miss dearly from Canada is a cider made from Granny Smiths. I love a good, tart cider. Even though my usual tipple is the semi-sweet Katy.

Back
Top Bottom