Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

favourite type of apple

My favourites are definitely Braeburn, especially when they are slightly softer and almost crumbly and extra juicy inside. For some reason they are not always that way.

I have found that within the type Braeburn there are sub types, some are quite small, some large, some have that lovely juicy cool crunch which attracted me to them in the first place - while others vary. On balance I still look out for Braeburn but the variety makes it hard to be sure which version I am going to get.

Braeburn for me!

And I looked them up:

The Braeburn is a cultivar of apple that is firm to the touch with a red/orange vertical streaky appearance on a yellow/green background. Its color intensity varies with different growing conditions.

It was discovered as a chance seedling in 1952 by the farmer O. Moran from Waiwhero in the Moutere Hills near Motueka, New Zealand. It was then cultivated by the Williams Brothers nursery as a potential export variety. A study published in 2020 indicated Braeburn is the offspring of Delicious and Sturmer Pippin, with Lady Hamilton as a sibling.[1] The apple itself is named after Braeburn Orchard near Motueka, where it was first commercially grown.

Braeburn apples have a combination of sweet and tart flavor. They are available October through April in the northern hemisphere[2] and are medium to large in size. They are a popular fruit for growers because of their ability to store well when chilled.[3]

Braeburn apples are useful in cooking as they hold their shape and do not release a great deal of liquid, making them ideal for tarts.[4] According to the US Apple Association website it is one of the fifteen most popular apple cultivars in the United States.

Had an absolutely delicious Granny Smith earlier. Crisp and tart and juicy all at the same time. And got four left. Mmm.

Managed to bag a few cox's yesterday myself :thumbs:

IMG-20210926-160931.jpg

Not much choice where I am.
Gala are pleasant enough.
Jazz are like sherbet. Pink Lady are odd - OK if I have one in the morning, taste weird in the afternoon for some reason ..

Aldi have quality Cox's at a good price :)
It's been a while ...

After eating Gala for weeks, to my palate they're quite a lot more sweet and acidic - so actually leaning towards Jazz territory ...

I was arguing with some woo-woo people about fruit vs sugar the other day and it struck me that a key reason berries are highly regarded as "healthy" is largely because they have a higher skin to flesh ratio in addition to more diverse chemistry ...

I miss Gala now.
I got into the habit of punctuating my breakfast toast with a small Gala and the Cox's are too sweet and acidic for that.
I bought some small apples that are "Red Windsor" and they're leaning that way too ...

Egremont russets are perfect just now. Only grabbed a few to tide me over but I'm back working in that garden tomorrow and there's a whole row of espaliers to be picked :cool:

I went apple shopping in Aldi earlier and they had ginormous bags of monster "Zari" apples.
I wasn't trying them side by side, but not massively different from the more expensive Coxs...
Quite daunting though - one is enough ...

Last edited:
The co op have started doing “family apples”. It isn’t even a kind of apple. It’s just a minuscule apple of unknown provenance.

I bet they will be wearinf derisorily tiny poppies in the coming weeks too.

Their tiny poppies bring shame upon is, upon them, and most especially upon our fallen heroes (remember them).

Darn.
I thought they looked a bit small.
Today's big bag of apples turned out to be Gala rather than "Zari" - I thought they looked a bit small ...
But I actually quite like Gala.

fruitsins.jpg

I've identified one of the trees in my garden as Laxton’s Superb - anyone tried? They seem to be a small sour pudding apple.

I think the most prolific tree is some sort of Scrumptious forerunner, not seen those in the shops for decades....

Back
Top Bottom