Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

favourite type of apple

Still like cox's orange pippins, if I can get them.
failing that, I quite like Braeburns.
I prefer a slightly sharp taste and a crisp texture with plenty of juice.
For various reasons, I like the smaller sized apples.

Can't stand golden delicious (according to one of my great aunts - the one who was a cook/housekeeper - they should be done under the Trades Descriptions Act, being neither golden nor delicious, more like chewing cotton wool.

For cookers, you can't beat a Bramley ...

Is it just me or are all the apples shit this year? All dry or unripe or overripe and bruised and just generally like they’ve fallen off the back of last year’s lorry.

Braeburn seem quite variable. I had some from New Zealand that were soft crunchy and juicy on the inside, while some later UK ones were much harder inside.

There is something special about crunching into a fresh apple, the juice seems super cool and refreshing as if the apple just came out of the fridge.

Would not know where to buy Beauty of Bath but I know where to find them in Worcestershire at the right time of year and they are quite special.

Russets....Mrs Tag says she hasnt seen any in the shops. Was it a poor harvest this year?
They're just really late this year, only just showing up now round my way. I may have overreacted very slightly :oops: First russets of the season is the thing I look forward to more than anything else all year.
IMG-20201220-WA0000.jpg

I had some last month, but they were quite small - even for Russets.
I intentionally bought small ones coz I'm giving some to a mentalist who often only manages to eat half an apple and leaves the rest on a plate to go brown and manky :rolleyes: but they had MASSIVE russets today.

I have a huge sheet of bubblewrap and strong enough feelings about this subject that I'll happily post a few russet apples to anyone struggling to get decent ones :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom