Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite Horror Film

Just watched two M Night Shyamalam films on Netflix, I am a sucker for his style of story, old fashioned twists. "Devil" was ok, not really very scary, but "the visit" was excellent. Really good acting and the twist was very effective, it was a proper heart drop.

Just watched two M Night Shyamalam films on Netflix, I am a sucker for his style of story, old fashioned twists. "Devil" was ok, not really very scary, but "the visit" was excellent. Really good acting and the twist was very effective, it was a proper heart drop.
The Visit is good fun and it's the only time Shymalan has shown that he can have a sense of humour. After several big budget flops he went and made a low budget found footage film and got his groove back. Devil isn't really a film by him, he produced it and came out with the story, but he didn't write or direct it.

The Visit is good fun and it's the only time Shymalan has shown that he can have a sense of humour. After several big budget flops he went and made a low budget found footage film and got his groove back. Devil isn't really a film by him, he produced it and came out with the story, but he didn't write or direct it.
Right I wasn't quite sure exactly what he did for either film, glad to hear the visit was properly his film. I like his big budget flops too though I don't get why they got reviewed so badly. E.g. I loved "the happening".

Wanted to watch House of 1000 Corpses, but it's nine fucking quid! Should've bought a 2nd hand bluray in good time tbf
h4qI89X.gif

Wanted to watch House of 1000 Corpses, but it's nine fucking quid! Should've bought a 2nd hand bluray in good time tbf
h4qI89X.gif

I had the good fortune to see this in the cinema when it came out. Save yourself £9 and recreate the experience by watching The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Last House on the Left whilst slowly inserting a corkscrew into your urethra.

Just posted this in the Netflix Recommendations thread but worth mentioning here:

Just watched His House - a slightly surreal horror film which is as much about the trauma of civil war, grief, and ending up as an asylum seeker in the gears of the system here in the UK as it is about the supernatural. It is very well done with striking visuals and a claustrophobic atmosphere, and the main actors turn in a good performance. Well worth watching IMO, it might not be to everyone's taste (OH found it really depressing), but if you like horror that is in a different vein than the usual offerings, give it a go.

h4qI89X.gif

You can get it on Shudder. Coincidentally I have just watched it for the first time. Not sure what I make of it, very campy and some very … distinctive …, artistic/directional choices. I really liked the opener, but it didn't sustain my interest. Not half as shocking as it probably thinks it is.

House of 1000 Corpses is lame.

Anyone seen "the dead dont die" (comedy horror from last year, bill murray is in it)? I was considering watching tonight.

House of 1000 Corpses is lame.

Anyone seen "the dead dont die" (comedy horror from last year, bill murray is in it)? I was considering watching tonight.
Jim Jarmush making a zombie comedy is great if you've never seen a zombie comedy before.

I'm watching with my 10 year old, its between that and original night of the living dead if that makes a difference.

I know night of the living dead very well of course... it might be a bit slow for him. (We both watched The Visit last night and he Loved it, it was a bit scarier than I anticipated but he really enjoyed that and slept fine etc)

I'm watching with my 10 year old, its between that and original night of the living dead if that makes a difference.
Than he might find The Dead Don't Die more entertaining. Night of the Living Dead is a bit on the nightmarish side, would have freaked me out, but kids today....

I know night of the living dead very well of course... it might be a bit slow for him. (We both watched The Visit last night and he Loved it, it was a bit scarier than I anticipated but he really enjoyed that and slept fine etc)
Little Monsters, Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland would be fun zombie films for a kid who can handle a bit of gore.

Watched Poltergeist today.

It's the best Steven Spielberg horror film which isn't a Steven Spielberg horror film although I strongly suspect its really a Steven Spielberg horror film, if you catch my drift.

Watched Poltergeist today.

It's the best Steven Spielberg horror film which isn't a Steven Spielberg horror film although I strongly suspect its really a Steven Spielberg horror film, if you catch my drift.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and....

I love Poltergeist. :)

I find some of the Final Destination ones quite enjoyable simply because of the ludicrous and amazingly improbable chain of unfortunate circumstances that leads to each of the characters’ deaths :D

Back
Top Bottom