Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite Horror Film

Trailer here.

Any film about a kid being abducted is onto a frightening premise so hopefully it delivers. I thought I'd seen Sinister but couldn't remember it and mentioned it to my lad who said he didn't think it was that good.

Sinister isn't bad, but I think it falls apart in the last third. The film having recently been burdened with the reputation of being "the scariest movie ever according to science" doesn't do it any favours and sets up false expectations. Horror, like comedy is an individual experience and no one size fits all.

corpses.png

House of 1000 Corpses

Finally got round to watching it (reluctantly bought the DVD, though I now know why there is no Bluray or HD streaming option). Hugely enjoyable, but started to drag towards the end. Disappointed with the final reveal. Devil's Rejects downloaded for Thursday night.

Stitches-Ross-Noble-with-a-knife-in-his-face.jpg

Stitches
Downloaded this ages ago and forgot about it, but as it was on Prime I thought I would give it a go. Ross Noble as a psychotic vengeful clown carving up teenagers? Why yes 🤡 🗡️🩸

Trailer here.

Any film about a kid being abducted is onto a frightening premise so hopefully it delivers. I thought I'd seen Sinister but couldn't remember it and mentioned it to my lad who said he didn't think it was that good.

This is taken from a great Joe Hill story, from his collection 20th Century Ghosts which I heartily recommend.

Stuck to the old favourites today: Addam's Family Values, Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus. Still gonna squeeze Trick 'R' Treat and Tales of Halloween in the next couple of days before I turn into the Christmas Creature
h4qI89X.gif

Favourite horror films of 2022 so far:

Speak No Evil
The Innocents
You Won't Be Alone
Men
X
You Are Not My Mother
The Sadness
Scream 2022

Watchable:

Watcher
The Black Phone
Bodies Bodies Bodies
Fresh
See for Me
Prey

Looking forward to:

Pearl
Barbarian
Hellraiser 2022
Smile

I might watch the the new Scream and Hellraiser (if I have access to them). I enjoyed the first two Scream films, but feel no loyalty to the franchise, so I don't especially care if the new one is shit. Hellraiser is another matter. Doug Bradley IS Pinhead, and it'll take some persuasion to convince me otherwise. Incidently, I just read that Candyman is meant to be a Cenobite
h4qI89X.gif

You won't be alone is amongst my top films of the year. Shame it doesn't seem to be getting a cinema release.

Most genuinely horrific? Martyrs, Audition or Irreversible. Mind bleach for all those please.

Favourite? The Exorcist or American Werewolf in London.

Just watch Smile. Wanky but watchable. The young cinema audience weren’t put off by cheap jump scares, though there was a pretty good one in amongst the trash. Some even clapped at the end. Deprived youth of today.

Trailer here.

Watched this on Saturday and thought it was pretty good. Interesting filters used, enough of the storyline kept me guessing to the end, an intriguing vibe...

Favourite horror films of 2022 so far:

Speak No Evil
The Innocents
You Won't Be Alone
Men
X
You Are Not My Mother
The Sadness
Scream 2022

Watchable:

Watcher
The Black Phone
Bodies Bodies Bodies
Fresh
See for Me
Prey

Looking forward to:

Pearl
Barbarian
Hellraiser 2022
Smile

I haven't seen X but I've heard good things about Pearl, want to watch both of those now.

You won't be alone is amongst my top films of the year. Shame it doesn't seem to be getting a cinema release.
Other than a quibble about one of the bad things that happen, I’d say the same about The Innocents, absolutely brilliant movie.

After watching the tedious mess that is Halloween Ends a couple of nights ago, Terrifier 2 is the Halloween set slasher sequel which truly delivers. The first Terrifier was an ultra low budget splatter movie with impressive gore effects and a ruthless way of going to extremes. This sequel is a big step up in terms of filmmaking, it's on a larger scale and better made and acted, while still going as far with the gore as possible (there have been reports of audience members passing out and puking, see below). Some have complained about its 2 hours 20 minutes running time but I was sitting there in shocked delight for the entire time. The effects work is very impressive, the heroine is among the more likeable final girls I can remember and it has a great retro-synth score. If you like your horror extreme, aren't easily offended and have a strong stomach, this is for you.

:edit: I just read that this was made on a paltry budget of $250.000 and it looks almost as good as Halloween Ends, which was made for around $25 million. I have no idea how they pulled off the elaborate prosthetics and make-up effects, let alone deliver a professional looking movie with decent production values. Colour me well impressed.

View attachment 348244

Last edited:
The always cyncial RLM guys really liked Halloween Ends and felt it waranted a two part analysis to boot

they make a strong case for a clever well-made film with a studio pressure ending forced on it

I never have the patience for youtube videos, I prefer podcasts, so won't watch this. They certainly are in a minority of those who think this is a good film, the movie got slated. I wrote a little about Halloween Ends here:

David Gordon Green started out as a filmmaker of well regarded indie movies, then he made a few Hollywood comedies and dramas to mixed success and now has turned his attention to horror franchises. He certainly is a more skilled filmmaker than many of those behind previous Halloween sequels, it's just that with Halloween Ends he didn't seem interested in making a Halloween sequel. He also never seems to have grasped what is great about the original Halloween. So why didn't he make that film without any connection to Halloween instead ? The film is frustrating for Halloween fans as anything Halloween (Michael Myers, Laurie Strode) is pushed to the sidelines. It also doesn't work as the "revenge of the oppressed" horror film in the tradition of Christine, Willard or Carrie, he wants to make because eventually this has to tie into Halloween, which isn't suited to that type of film. Even if this had been a stand alone about the character of Corey Cunningham, it probably wouldn't have been a very good film of its type. With H20, there already exists a superior Halloween sequel which brought back Laurie Strode to deal with her PTSD in a more complex and realistic manner than the plot line Green conceived for her over the last 3 movies.

Last edited:
I never have the patience for youtube videos, I prefer podcasts, so won't watch this. They certainly are in a minority of those who think this is a good film, the movie got slated.
I have only heard the plinket one so far, but they don't say they love it, they just point out interesting ideas (that may or may not have worked) and make a case for it. . . they also amusingly tack on the sum up of the end in one throwaway sentence.
In regards to podcasts vs you tube. . . most (including RLM) are really just podcasts painted with moving pictures pasted over the top. I never 'watch them'.

I recommend the free Roku Channel on your tv box if you can get it, it is packed with trashy horror films. Hells Highway is a strong recommendation
images.jpeg

I have only heard the plinket one so far, but they don't say they love it, they just point out interesting ideas (that may or may not have worked) and make a case for it. . . they also amusingly tack on the sum up of the end in one throwaway sentence.
In regards to podcasts vs you tube. . . most (including RLM) are really just podcasts painted with moving pictures pasted over the top. I never 'watch them'.
I'd agree that there are interesting ideas in Halloween Ends, but they aren't executed well and good intentions alone don't make a good film. BTW. has anybody here actually seen it (or the previous two) apart from me ?

Last edited:
Halloween started out with a movie made on a miniscule budget, which has since become a classic due to paring down the horror film to its essentials (three girls, two houses, one killer) and because of John Carpenter's sparse, stylish direction. None of the sequels came close, but some are better than others. Now it's become this (for horror films) big budget Hollywood money maker, divorced from its low budget roots, with a prestige director imposing his thematic sensibilities on a franchise which is poorly suited to them. I think they still are watchable as Green has talent but they are frustrating films, pulling in different directions.

Terrifier 2 on the other hand is far more in the spirit of the original Halloween, with a young, talented filmmaker eager to show what he can do on next to no money. Terrifier 2 may go down a different direction, more focused on excess than style, but its can-do spirit and movie making passion are far closer to the original Halloween than the Hollywood machinery which now pushes out these bloated sequels.

...it's also the film Rob Zombie thinks he is making, instead of the horror-fanboy drivel he churns out.

Last edited:
I'd agree that there are interesting ideas in Halloween Ends, but they aren't executed well and good intentions alone don't make a good film. BTW.
Indeed, and it doesn't say that they are or that it is a good film (far from it).
has anybody commenting on it here actually seen it apart from me ?
No, I've not actually seen any Halloween films. . . but equally you are dismissing the review and appear to be imagining what it contains.
Don't get me wrong, it's not a 'must' see, or a 'work of genius' review. . . (and having not seen any of the films I can't say if I agree with any of it or not), just making an observation

Back
Top Bottom