Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite Horror Film

I caught up with Terrifier 2.

What a piece of absolutely unremitting garbage. Witless, brainless, pointless. Its single merit is that most people involved seem pretty competent. The fx dude clearly got a new 'innards' box to play with and he enjoyed doing so. But the 'script' - it would be almost interesting to see how some of that incoherent drivel was written, if there was any appearance of making sense. The film is meant to last a bit over two hours (!) but it was even longer as I had to keep rewinding to go 'eh, where did that come from? It's just jumped from one scene to another as if it were the same one. wtf?'

Not even so bad it's good. Just bad. Very, very, bad,

I caught up with Terrifier 2.

What a piece of absolutely unremitting garbage. Witless, brainless, pointless. Its single merit is that most people involved seem pretty competent. The fx dude clearly got a new 'innards' box to play with and he enjoyed doing so. But the 'script' - it would be almost interesting to see how some of that incoherent drivel was written, if there was any appearance of making sense. The film is meant to last a bit over two hours (!) but it was even longer as I had to keep rewinding to go 'eh, where did that come from? It's just jumped from one scene to another as if it were the same one. wtf?'

Not even so bad it's good. Just bad. Very, very, bad,

what were your thoughts on the first one? and, assuming you saw the first one, what on earth would lead you to believe the second wouldn't be an utterly terrible movie?

i've not seen terrifier 2 yet - been on the fence about watching it, bc i enjoy gore, but the first was a very, very bad film. i enjoyed it well enough though, because i knew what i'd signed up for - which was little more than a very well done exercise in practical effects. i've heard that the sequel is a bit more irritating in that it thinks it has an actual story on its hands, and focuses a lot more on trying to flesh out annoying characters that no one gaf about - but also that it has 'possibly one of the top 5 gore scenes of all time,' and at the end of the day, that's what people are watching terrifier for. i'll likely catch it eventually, for that reason alone.

what were your thoughts on the first one? and, assuming you saw the first one, what on earth would lead you to believe the second wouldn't be an utterly terrible movie?
Hadn't seen the first one, having heard I didn't really need to and that this one was much better.

It does not have one of the top five gore scenes ever, I have only a vague idea which one they mean and it wasn't really that gory, I've seen far worse.

I have probably said here before but I have only seen the first Terrifer and I just found myself baffled.
I didn't care about any of the characters at all, I wasn't remotely routing for anyone.
I wasn't grossed out or scared at all.

I'm not going to bother with the second one.

Hadn't seen the first one, having heard I didn't really need to and that this one was much better.

It does not have one of the top five gore scenes ever, I have only a vague idea which one they mean and it wasn't really that gory, I've seen far worse.

oh, really? well that's kind of disappointing. it's been quite a while since i saw the first one, and as i said it's a terrible film, but i thought the gore was extremely well done, was hoping to be able to look forward to that aspect at least if i caught the second one. there was also a scene in the first that i found to be absolutely hilarious, although i think it was intending to be more disturbing than anything - and then, i may just have a bizarre sense of humor and been the only person who found it funny. i was going to say if you enjoyed the gore (and you're a 'fan' of it) then the first is worth watching, as that's truly all the movie brings to the table. plus it's apparently far shorter, and doesn't presume to take itself as seriously (so i've heard).

i also heard that it was better than the first one, but if you'd seen the first one then you'd know that doesn't really mean much. i was fully expecting a terrible, terrible movie with creative, well done gore scenes before i heard even the first review.

a clown killer/monster movie that's actually pretty good - not great, but a masterpiece compared to terrifier - is 'clown' from 2014. pretty sure it's still on netflix. the description on imdb doesn't give it away, just says 'a loving father finds a clown suit for his son's birthday party, only to realize that it's cursed,' so i won't spoil it - not that the premise is groundbreaking or anything, but. i'd recommend it, if clown movies are your thing for whatever reason.

The first Terrifier was made on next to not budget and pretty much revolves around its gore sequences and those were incredibly well done. Terrifier 2 had a budget, even if it was a minuscule one and in terms of filmmaking it's a big step up from the first one. I cared about the family at its centre, thought it had one of the better "final girls" in slasher movies and the gore still is gnarly as fuck. I can see why that type of film isn't for everybody, but there is filmmaking skill there. Terrifier 2 looks like a labour of love for its maker, however counterintuitive this may seem.

Whenever I say I love horror films I have lost all cultural credibility in the eyes of many (especially here in Germany, where culture has to be so bloody high minded and they don't have a grasp on pop culture at all) and at best they'll counter, "I don't mind them if they are subtle, it's much more effective if you don't see anything" which makes me want to strap them down Clockwork Orange style and have them watch Braindead or Re-Animator. There is a place for poor taste, balls out gore films, they are the punk cousins of the genre. For me horror films are a safe way of confronting my mortality and I enjoy a film that is able to shock me in the way Terrifier 2 does, not because I wish harm on others, it makes me laugh because I go "well, I hope it's not going to be that bad!"

Braindead and Re-animator do actually have some wit about them tho. This was just shit for idiots. And just not gory.
Obviously I must be an idiot then (as are all the critics who gave this surprisingly good reviews). Always a pleasure conversing with you.

Each to their own. I didn't find it shocking in any way at all and am utterly bewildered as to how anyone could. It's was boring.

The first Terrifier was made on next to not budget and pretty much revolves around its gore sequences and those were incredibly well done. Terrifier 2 had a budget, even if it was a minuscule one and in terms of filmmaking it's a big step up from the first one. I cared about the family at its centre, thought it had one of the better "final girls" in slasher movies and the gore still is gnarly as fuck. I can see why that type of film isn't for everybody, but there is filmmaking skill there. Terrifier 2 looks like a labour of love for its maker, however counterintuitive this may seem.

Whenever I say I love horror films I have lost all cultural credibility in the eyes of many (especially here in Germany, where culture has to be so bloody high minded and they don't have a grasp on pop culture at all) and at best they'll counter, "I don't mind them if they are subtle, it's much more effective if you don't see anything" which makes me want to strap them down Clockwork Orange style and have them watch Braindead or Re-Animator. There is a place for poor taste, balls out gore films, they are the punk cousins of the genre. For me horror films are a safe way of confronting my mortality and I enjoy a film that is able to shock me in the way Terrifier 2 does, not because I wish harm on others, it makes me laugh because I go "well, I hope it's not going to be that bad!"
I agree with most of what you say.
Recently my mum was talking to me about a TV drama, Industry, about young people breaking into the banking world.
I said I would rather watch the Texas Chainsaw Massacre than a programme about bankers.
And that is true.
I love horror films and agree with you about low budget gore films and being the punk cousins of the genre. Braindead and Reamimator are great examples.

I just don't personally agree about Terrifer, I thought it was baffling and like belboid ,a bit boring.

Maybe it's because I'm older now, my tastes a changing a bit 🤷

I agree with most of what you say.
Recently my mum was talking to me about a TV drama, Industry, about young people breaking into the banking world.
I said I would rather watch the Texas Chainsaw Massacre than a programme about bankers.
And that is true.
I love horror films and agree with you about low budget gore films and being the punk cousins of the genre. Braindead and Reamimator are great examples.

I just don't personally agree about Terrifer, I thought it was baffling and like belboid ,a bit boring.

Maybe it's because I'm older now, my tastes a changing a bit 🤷
Terrifier or Terrifier 2 ?

I watched the first Terrifier just recently and thought it was great. Pretty disturbing/creepy and looked just like an 80s video nasty.

The first one.
After I first wrote about big ass post on Terrifier 2 here you asked whether the sequel is different from the first film and I answered you that I think it is. In everything I wrote about Terrifier 2 I pointed out what a step up from the first movie it is. I wasn't a huge fan of Terrifier either, I thought it was a decent show reel for impressive make-up effects but I think Terrifier 2 is a movie with well developed characters and an actual plot.

Also belboid has a chip on his shoulder when he disagrees on a film with me, throwing around insults like I must be an idiot for liking something he doesn't, as he did above in the post of his you "liked" (on a film you haven't seen).

After I first wrote about big ass post on Terrifier 2 here you asked whether the sequel is different from the first film and I answered you that I think it is. In everything I wrote about Terrifier 2 I pointed out what a step up from the first movie it is. I wasn't a huge fan of Terrifier either, I thought it was a decent show reel for impressive make-up effects but I think Terrifier 2 is a movie with well developed characters and an actual plot.

Also belboid has a chip on his shoulder when he disagrees on a film with me, throwing around insults like I must be an idiot for liking something he doesn't, as he did above in the post of his you "liked" (on a film you haven't seen).
My apologies, I was going by you saying that you thought stuff about the first one was incredibly well done.

I was also sort of replying to belboid but didn't really write and quote very well.

Appologies again

I was unaware you'd watched it until you made your post. I simply, detested it with a vengeance. It's okay to have different opinions (even from lots of reviewers).

You might all find this useful. Just a list with no judgement, short clips and a short summary. The great and the terrible. 100 2022 horror films. She has Reno levels of knowledge.

I've just caught up with Men and I feel I need to say something about it. It's a very direct, uncomplicated me too era film about abuse, harassment and stalking and the way men effectively close ranks. The talking point is the third act where the narrative structure breaks down and metaphor takes over completely. It's very on the nose and really paint by numbers in terms of messaging but there is something else going on and I think it's to do with the decentering of the various creepy characters which is the opposite of the usual horror style where the monster becomes more and more the central threat and I think the intent is to show how structural the problem is.

Alex Garland did something a bit similar in his previous film Annihilation but this goes all out and there's some ... interesting imagery, I think there's now a definite Garland style that's been developed of metaphorical visual poetry and I'm looking forward to any future work.

Not sure if it made a good horror film as such. It also didn't make me think very much, as it's so very plain in its objectives. But there's a lot imagery to process, some of it very obvious, some of it not obvious at all. I'm inclined to compare it to Titane which had a lot going on, some of which was along similar lines but that made me think, because it's not obvious how it all fits together and there's something profound but ungraspable about it. I've seen it suggested that AG should have made some of the male characters more complex and had made a less polemical film, but that would have been something completely different. The directness was the key to the artistic vision and I'm happy to have seen this and happy it exists as it is.

The best sequence wasn't at the end btw. There is a fantastic but slow sequence near the beginning of tranquility and growing threat, absolutely excellent film making.

I am a big fan of horror movies and finding my favourite is impossible,but recent offerings are french movie called RAW

belboid & Reno and anyone else… Of all the arguments and handbags that have been had on Urban, none is sillier and more pointless than those regarding personal opinions of films and TV series :D I certainly hope no participant in this thread or any other in this sub forum stops contributing as a result of past disagreements.

Going back to the OP of this thread, I’m tempted to propose we evolve it to encompass both recommendations of one’s favourite horror film, and new horror film recommendations. The Shudder one has kind of served that purpose well, but of course it’s limited to Shudder.

We could just create a separate ‘recommend me a new horror film’ thread. But I reckon this thread could accommodate those better, as it is well established. And if from time to time someone recommends a film you think of as dreadful, take it on the chin or at least don’t start a handbag fest about it.

Bit of a fan of old school horror from the likes of Hammer and Universal so something like The Devil Rides Out is up there for me. In terms of modern stuff, Ringu is just so atmospheric throughout.

belboid & Reno and anyone else… Of all the arguments and handbags that have been had on Urban, none is sillier and more pointless than those regarding personal opinions of films and TV series :D I certainly hope no participant in this thread or any other in this sub forum stops contributing as a result of past disagreements.

Going back to the OP of this thread, I’m tempted to propose we evolve it to encompass both recommendations of one’s favourite horror film, and new horror film recommendations. The Shudder one has kind of served that purpose well, but of course it’s limited to Shudder.

We could just create a separate ‘recommend me a new horror film’ thread. But I reckon this thread could accommodate those better, as it is well established. And if from time to time someone recommends a film you think of as dreadful, take it on the chin or at least don’t start a handbag fest about it.
I've had an exceptionally shitty year topped off by an exceptionally shitty thing to happen over christmas, so I'm currently rather thin skinned and am taking a break from U75.

Have a great 2023, you all and I may or may not be back one day.

I've had an exceptionally shitty year topped off by an exceptionally shitty thing to happen over christmas, so I'm currently rather thin skinned and am taking a break from U75.

Have a great 2023, you all and I may or may not be back one day.
Sorry to hear that, best wishes and hope things get resolved 👍

Back
Top Bottom