Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite Horror Film

I've had an exceptionally shitty year topped off by an exceptionally shitty thing to happen over christmas, so I'm currently rather thin skinned and am taking a break from U75.

Have a great 2023, you all and I may or may not be back one day.
Sorry to hear this.

See you soon, I hope.

I've had an exceptionally shitty year topped off by an exceptionally shitty thing to happen over christmas, so I'm currently rather thin skinned and am taking a break from U75.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad time and my apologies for if/how much my prickliness has contributed to it. You're a good un' with lots of very interesting things to say. I hope you'll be back.

I hope 2023 is a better year.

I rewatched Soft and Quiet last night and I've coming to the conclusion that it's truly great. The characters and their dynamics, the camera work, some of the subtle artistic choices... It's absolutely fantastic. But also horrible. The second half of the film is brutal but not in an over-the-top way but in a really sickening this-could-really-happen sort of way. In part the ideology but also in part that particular combination of characters.

I think it really understands its subject matter and exposes a certain tension that people who don't follow it might not realise exists and that may go over some peoples heads. It's that best kind of polemic that doesn't straw man.

Do we just talk about general horror in here too now?

Watched Barbarian and thought it was quite good. Anyone else seen it?

Do we just talk about general horror in here too now?

Watched Barbarian and thought it was quite good. Anyone else seen it?
Yes. It went on a completely different way I was expecting from the initial 25-odd minutes, which was great because otherwise it would have been completely predictable and done to death.

And as for your first sentence, we don’t have a regular thread for horror films so this will do fine.

And on that note, I was somewhat underwhelmed by Smile. I’d heard good things about it, and it undoubtedly has a handful of properly freaky moments, but the overall plot was very formulaic imo. I correctly guessed the outcome not even at the halfway mark.

I enjoyed Smile and Barbarian but just don't find
tall, monstrous and gangly women
particularly scary. In fact I find the whole thing kind of funny undermining the terror quite a bit.

One of my favourites from the 80s is The Lost Boys,Not scary but fun.
But at the same time there are some great tense and nerve-wrecking scenes. The vamps attacking the party, when the older brother is about to go for the the kid, the incursion into the cave… Also scenes that whilst not scary per se are still memorable. Like when they’re hanging from the railway bridge and fall into the void one by one.

Good usage of the ‘less is more in horror films’, such as when the vampires are circling the house before their final assault, and the main kid runs out to rescue his dog. And then when monsters are shown, fantastic practical effects. Vintage 1980s stuff and infinitely preferable to CGI.

A bit like Fright Night. Another classic of that period, and it has one or two properly scary scenes as well.

The Fog is another fantastically good one. Superb slow-building horror and story development, and for most of the film, without the need for gore, graphic scenes, or even any actual showing on the screen of the antagonist. Just fog, knocks on the door, and a superlative script narrative :)

The Fog is another fantastically good one. Superb slow-building horror and story development, and for most of the film, without the need for gore, graphic scenes, or even any actual showing on the screen of the antagonist. Just fog, knocks on the door, and a superlative script narrative :)
Great film and incredibly atmospheric. Never been a fan of gore for gore's sake films either.

The film of The Fog annoyed me only because it was allegedly based on the book by James Herbert but the books more akin to 28 Days Later

The film of The Fog annoyed me only because it was allegedly based on the book by James Herbert but the books more akin to 28 Days Later
Shame Herbert's Rats trilogy hasn't been given decent silver screen treatment. I guess I can see why it would have been difficult to do so back in the day before CGI though. I seem to remember an interview with him where he referred to some awful low budget attempt at the first story where the rats were played by dogs in costume or something like that.

Well just watched The Sadness. It takes gore and viciousness to new depths and I can grok that. The idea it's exploring is really very plain from very early on and to be honest it's a simple pessimistic view of human nature and not a very original or interesting one, but it's taken to a certain extreme. Cynical rather than subversive.

Just watched it last week and I think Skinamarink (see above) is really worth the effort. There's a lot of online discussion about it and that's part of the appeal I think. Requires patience and focus because there is a narrative it's just very difficult to make it out and it took me a few abortive attempts to get into it. It has some quite cheap jump scares but once you're in the zone with it, it's really quite freaky. It's been playing on my mind all week.

Director Kyle Edward Ball's background is making horror shorts on youtube. I hadn't come across him before and I'm going work my way through his channel.

TBH I'm finding a lot of more recent (last two years or so) horror movies disappointing. But Skinamarink, Mad God and Soft and Quiet all brought something fresh to the table.

Back
Top Bottom