Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite Horror Film

Though obviously as scary as afternoon tea with your auntie, and predictable and cliched to fuck, some of the Amicus 1960s films are superbly satisfying and unbeatable of a late Saturday night, glass of whisky at hand. This is a particular favourite of mine

71Z9qD747sL._AC_SL1295_.jpg

Last edited:
Though obviously as scary as afternoon tea with your auntie, and predictable and cliched to fuck, some of the Amicus 1960s films are superbly satisfying and unbearable of a late Saturday night, glass of whisky at hand. This is a favourite of mine

71Z9qD747sL._AC_SL1295_.jpg

Roy Castle? He of Record Breakers fame?

Watched a Mario Bava film, Kill Baby.. Kill! (1966), that I hadn't seen before for my Halloween watch and it didn't disappoint.
Gothic horror about the ghost of a young girl who appears to villagers who soon afterwards meet a grisly ending, it has Bava's usual exquisite use of set design, colour and lighting to create atmosphere.Kill-Baby-Kill-2.jpg

I've seen this recommended in a few horror lists. The idea is a good one but I didn't find it that scary.

I assume everyone who would enjoy will already know about it but the film "The Monster Club" was amazing fun to watch last night: The Monster Club - Wikipedia

It is an anthology film with 3 stories, linked by Vincent Price as a vampire in a cool swinging new wave punk monster club with some great band performances. Super campy and stupid, if you are in the mood for something like that it is perfect. This is probably the musical highlight:

Last edited:
I assume everyone who would enjoy will already know about it but the film "The Monster Club" was amazing fun to watch last night: The Monster Club - Wikipedia

It is an anthology film with 3 stories, linked by Vincent Price as a vampire in a cool swinging new wave punk monster club with some great band performances. Super campy and stupid, if you are in the mood for something like that it is perfect. This is probably the highlight:

Fecking love that film. As a kid, the reclusive guy in the mansion and the weird village cut off by mist scared the hell out of me.

Watched Koko-Di Koko-Da last night. It's a 2019 Swedish/Danish horror film with a Groundhog Day like time loop. It's one of the very few films that has really got to me.

Dark Star Pictures Dates 'Groundhog Day'-Like 'Koko-Di Koko-Da' - Bloody  Disgusting

Just look at that guy. It turns out that the actor is one Peter Belli who is a popular Danish singer. Somehow a combination of his malicious cheerfulness, weird companions and the incongruity of his summery outfit in a dingy forest creeps the hell out of me. I hate that guy. I actually checked out some of his songs. They're alright, but I hate them. I hate everything about this guy. I think I would even hate his mother.

Anyway it's a really well made low budget film with some fantastic shadow puppetry and some emotional depth about over coming grief. It's brilliant. I hated every second of it. I may watch it again when I've built up the courage.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

a decent if not massively original mockumentary/slasher flick. The best bits are about all the training required to be a decent serial killer (eg slowing down of heart rate, acting skills for the requisite scares, woodwork and electrical engineering), and just as those parts are getting a bit boring you move into the final straight slasher parts. Entertaining enough.

Not film/TV but I thought I would post it in here in case any of you horror fans might like it.

A new series of The Lovecraft Investigations on BBC Radio 4/BBC Sounds.
I absolutely loved the first 2 series, they scared the bejesus out of me at times, especially as initially I thought it was a real true crime podcast :D
It is using several of Lovecraft's stories as a base for I guess a "found footage" style radio drama.
There is something about the medium of radio that I find a lot more scary/atmospheric that watching horror.

If you are new to it make sure you start at the begging of the 1st series The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. :thumbs:

maxresdefault.jpg

First horror movie of the season, and definately a new favourite. Bright colours, costumes, comedy gore, detestable shits due a comeuppance, and, err, the soundtrack :oops:

🍌 🎶 "Tra la la, la-la la la la, tra la la, la-la la la la...

Wasn't available on any of the 57 or so services I already subscribe to, so had to pay £8 for it, but worth it as I'll be watching it many times, err, more.

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four
All bananas make a split, so do many more... 🍌 🎶

6665may have said this before. not sure the boundaries of the genre but for me it's either aliens as pure scifi horror or evil dead 2 as horror comedy.

assault on precinct 13 is a great bridge between horror and thriller

the thing is in a league of it's own that i acknowledge is probably horror but is so transendand that i think labels are diminishing.

Mother has given me permission for a Hallowe'en tree in the front room, but it's a little late to source all the Nightmare Before Christmas shizzle I'd want for it, so poss for next year
h4qI89X.gif

Back
Top Bottom