Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite Horror Film

Finally watched Hereditary and found it good... just good. Toni Collette was awesome as always, and the daughter was freaky as fuck. Need to step up my horror consumtion, being the season an' all
h4qI89X.gif

Watched the sci-fi/horror comedy Love & Monsters last night. Good hearted and entertaining, it's about an earth seven years after a "monsterpocalypse" which has mutated many of the worlds insects, crustaceans, slugs, etc to 50s monster movie proportions. It's fun and it has a cute dog.

MV5BZTJjNTkzYjItODJhYS00NDMwLTg1OWItYzUzMGY0NzgyMjEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQWRvb2xpbmhk._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Haven’t seen this in a long time but remember it being good. Not sure if it will stand the test of time on a revisit.

4F88D62F-9FB7-43B9-A28A-4B6E8400B610.jpeg

The most memorable horror films for me as a kid were The Omen series and Amityville Horror. The Omen goes off a bit in the third film but 1 and 2 have so many standout scenes. I wasn't allowed to watch Hammer House of Horror on TV so they'd have been some of the first videos I saw at other people's houses I think.

Mum and Dad and Eden Lake are 2 British films that haven't been mentioned. Both particularly nasty if I remember right.

A recent British horror I thought was really good was Possum. Sean Harris with a spider puppet.. St Maud is well up there though, best horror I've seen for years.

Also Antichrist might have the best screaming in any film and The Woman in Black definitely deserves a mention.

Where do films like Threads, Benny's Video, Funny Games, The Seventh Continent, I Stand Alone etc fit into a horror discussion?

Things like that are way scarier than typical horror, for me anyway.

Oh and Brimstone and Treacle.

Oh I just remembered a film that I found generally freaky at times. 1408, a supernatural horror with John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson about a certain room in a hotel in which bad things are said to happen to anyone who stays in. The hotel doesn't hire out the room anymore due to said events but agrees to rent it out to Cusack, who is a journalist wanting to write a piece on it.

It's got a couple of proper jump-scare moments and a good, sustained tense atmosphere. Only seen it once but it was pretty satisfying as horror films go.

ETA: while I’m at it I might as well mention Devil. A group of (seemly unconnected) strangers riding a lift in a commercial/ office building get stuck inside due to some fault. And things start to happen whenever the light goes out for even a couple of seconds, with everyone suspecting their fellow stranded lift passengers. Very effective and gripping film, and well written as most of it takes place inside the lift, so not an easy script to write.

Sounds like a Stephen King short story I read a couple of weeks ago that was creepy as fuck

It's not really a horror film per se, but I love and have a lot of time for Warm Bodies.

It's the story of a zombie from the zombies point of view. He isn't sure how he became one, just that he is one now, and doesn't really like the whole eating brains thing.

I wouldn't call myself much of a horror fan, because so many horror films are so predictable and/or trite that you can see them coming a mile off and/or they can't hold the suspense. As such I mostly prefer "sense of building unease in everyday surroundings" horror films of which I think all of the following have probably been mentioned already.

Rosemary's Baby - still as good as it ever was
Get Out - a few pointless jump scares is all that mars this one
The Wicker Man - had the ending spoiled for me by seeing Shallow Grave first, but that didn't mar my enjoyment of this film one iota.
Kill List
The Stepford Wives
Ring - sound design alone is terrifying
The Mist - "humans are the real monsters" shocker that's a massive improvement on the original Stephen King book thanks to some inspired casting (Marcia Gay Hayden as a religious bigot and Toby Jones as a shelf-stacking badass?!)
Perfect Blue - Satoshi Kon's manga about a would-be actress undergoing an identity crisis
The Lighthouse - could also be seen as a comedy TBH as it's two brilliant actors going completely over the top but it's got psychological horror seeping out of its pores. His previous film, The Witch, is another brilliant contender
Duel - Spielberg's classic evil truck driver
The Descent - more action-ey than meditative, but one of the vanishingly few films I've ever had to stop watching (I'm claustrophobic)
In the Mouth of Madness - rather shlocky Lovecraftian knock-off that's elevated out of the mediocre by Sam Neill
Event Horizon - another shlocky outing for Sam Neill, paired rather brilliantly against Laurence Fishburne and some of the most beautiful set design I've ever seen. I probably rate it higher than I should because it feels like a WH40K prequel.

But yes Reno the original TV version of The Woman In Black is an absolute masterpiece and was one of those responsible for if not starting then cementing my love of the genre.

Along with The Signalman.
Another made for TV film that was part of the amazing Ghost Story for Christmas thing the beeb used to do so well.
It was a short story by Charles Dickens.
It has been, historically, when I have looked, been almost impossible or very expensive to get hold of on DVD

I'm lucky enough to have The Signalman on DVD (along with the rest of the ghost stories). It's a masterclass in dramatic tension based almost entirely on setting and a fantastic performance from Denholm Elliot. Network have, I believe, done a blu-ray remaster of the original Woman In Black which should be out shortly, I believe it hit some streaming service or other a few months back.

I'm lucky enough to have The Signalman on DVD (along with the rest of the ghost stories). It's a masterclass in dramatic tension based almost entirely on setting and a fantastic performance from Denholm Elliot. Network have, I believe, done a blu-ray remaster of the original Woman In Black which should be out shortly, I believe it hit some streaming service or other a few months back.
Had the Blu-ray of The Woman in Black for a couple of months now. Looks great ! :)

It's not really a horror film per se, but I love and have a lot of time for Warm Bodies.

It's the story of a zombie from the zombies point of view. He isn't sure how he became one, just that he is one now, and doesn't really like the whole eating brains thing.

Watched that earlier with the gf and we both loved it.

Back
Top Bottom