Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite Horror Film

I know I have seen it but I might have been under the influence of the 11th letter of the alphabet at the time and can't remember much.
Might have to give it another go.

It was more the psychologal element that stuck inside my head in the same way Davd Lynch films like Lost Hoghway and Mulholland Drive do.

The director's cut is worth a watch for some different scenes altogether from the original film, if you've not already seen it.
Not the directors cut, considering the director disowned the film. It’s an assembly cut, based on an earlier cut of the film, with redone special effects. It is superior to the theatrical cut with a few things making a little more sense.

The documentary on the blu-ray for Alien 3 is one of the best Making Of documentaries I’ve seen. It’s more gripping than the film itself as far as I’m concerned. It’s about the many things which went wrong with during its making and the participants don’t hold back when it comes to resentments and grudges.

Last edited:
Hellraiser: maybe a bit of an obvious choice but it is a genuine nasty film, that ramps up the scariness compared to most. It's on another level compared to most horror films. The second one is good too, if not quite like the original.
When was the last time anyone watched Hellraiser? I watched it earlier this year having had fond, scared memories...yeah the visual effects are still a lot of fun - brilliant in fact - but watching now it has zero suspense and most of it was boring low budget (bloody) melodrama set in one house that dragged on- not how i remembered it at all. I was disappointed tbh. Remember being shocked when i first saw it. Not aged well IMO

incidentally the film a year before Hellraiser based on Clive Barkers script was this:
entertaining review of it here

more sexual blasphemy goings on

according to the review Clive was so annoyed at how bad (incorrect) the monster was and poor the effects were, that he got in the driver seat for hellraiser to make sure his vision got put on screen properly

Rawhead Rex:
rawhead.jpg

My personal faves;

An American Werewolf in London
The Return of the Living Dead
Martyrs
Hellraiser (dated but I love it)

I love many classics of the genre (Exorcist, Psycho, The Thing) even though I seldom find them scary or chilly at all. So I will name those that left a lasting impression in my memory and creeped me out properly.

R.E.C. was fucking superb, one of the most tense and fucked up (in a good way) horror films ever. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a masterpiece and delivers a genuinely disturbing atmosphere with relatively little gore or OTT acts of violence.

The Evil Dead gave me nightmares when I first saw it as a teen (the thing in the basement, the characters’ voices when possessed), though now is just a horror comedy. And Creep is absurdly good and, er, creepy as the title suggests.

Final mention goes to a film that tends to be described as sci-fi-horror but certain scenes freaked me out no end: Event Horizon. Only saw it once, perhaps now it’d be no biggie...

Enjoy. Let us know what you think of it. Apparently there are two different endings so you might get a different one to the one I saw.

I liked it although I don't find John Cusack that convincing in that kind of role. I find him quite a comedic person to watch.

I liked the claustrophobic churning of it. At one point I thought to myself "oh god it's like lots of elements pf Apocalypse Now condensed into a small room :D

The ending was, he was rescued from the hotel room on fire, recovered and was back with his ex. He started listening to the Dictaphone and he heard his daughters voice. His (no longer) ex heard it to and dropped a box. They looked at each other and it ended.

I love many classics of the genre (Exorcist, Psycho, The Thing) even though I seldom find them scary or chilly at all. So I will name those that left a lasting impression in my memory and creeped me out properly.

R.E.C. was fucking superb, one of the most tense and fucked up (in a good way) horror films ever. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a masterpiece and delivers a genuinely disturbing atmosphere with relatively little gore or OTT acts of violence.

The Evil Dead gave me nightmares when I first saw it as a teen (the thing in the basement, the characters’ voices when possessed), though now is just a horror comedy. And Creep is absurdly good and, er, creepy as the title suggests.

Final mention goes to a film that tends to be described as sci-fi-horror but certain scenes freaked me out no end: Event Horizon. Only saw it once, perhaps now it’d be no biggie...

Yes I forgot about Event Horizon.
I too have only seen it once I think, I went to see it at the cinema and it left me feeling unnerved after.

Yes I forgot about Event Horizon.
I too have only seen it once I think, I went to see it at the cinema and it left me feeling unnerved after.
Yes, we’ve all seen plenty of films when a character is taken over by an evil entity and rarely I find it scary or creepy, but in this film it was bloody chilling. Can’t even remember the particulars of it and what made it so effective, but for me it felt so genuinely malevolent and threatening it made Regan off The Exorcist feel like Miss Marple by comparison.

Last edited:
I liked it although I don't find John Cusack that convincing in that kind of role. I find him quite a comedic person to watch.

I liked the claustrophobic churning of it. At one point I thought to myself "oh god it's like lots of elements pf Apocalypse Now condensed into a small room :D

The ending was, he was rescued from the hotel room on fire, recovered and was back with his ex. He started listening to the Dictaphone and he heard his daughters voice. His (no longer) ex heard it to and dropped a box. They looked at each other and it ended.

Same ending I saw I think. Elements of Jacob's ladder in there as well. Hopefully you will sleep well tonight :)

Its gone from "most disappointing sequel ever" to "interesting failure" in my book, but i'm still not on board with the "underrated masterpiece" fans. I like the bleak start and ending. Everything in between I find rather dull, with characters where I don't care whether they live or die.
totally agree, Alien 3 was sub-par and barely watchable

Back
Top Bottom