Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite Horror Film

More a drama for me.

Scared the shit out of a generation tbf
Not sure Jaws qualifies as drama when it comes to genre. It's a cross between adventure-and horror film. I wouldn't even dip my head under the water in a bathtub after I saw that as a kid. It ushered in a whole sub-genre of horror in the 70s, known as "revenge of nature" where all sorts of critters went after human prey.

Last edited:
It's fun, but I prefer the earlier Re-Animator by the same team. It's more outrageous if you've seen the uncut version and From Beyond goes off the boil somewhere around the midpoint.

We'll have to agree to disagree on From Beyond going off the boil! Uncut Re-animator definitely is outrageous and one scene in particular will elicit cries of disgust from many viewers. If the re-animated stiffs count as such they're among the best portrayals of zombies. Both films look like they might have been fun to be part of too.

Traditional type in ‘Nightmare on Elm Street’ followed by the post-modern ‘Cabin in the Woods’ which is more of a comedy per se

Another vote here for Hellraiser and its sequel, Hellbound. The first film is poorly directed in places but this is more than compensated for by Barker's original and imaginative approach to horror. Nothing like it had been seen before. Hellbound is good too, but the third sequel, Hell on Earth, is rubbish.

We'll have to agree to disagree on From Beyond going off the boil! Uncut Re-animator definitely is outrageous and one scene in particular will elicit cries of disgust from many viewers. If the re-animated stiffs count as such they're among the best portrayals of zombies. Both films look like they might have been fun to be part of too.
That was a severed head who knows how to have fun.

Last edited:
I am currently downloading Big Freaking Rat. I doubt it will be my favourite but I don't like most horror movies and this one apparently has a comedy element so who knows?

In terms of found footage films, Hell House LLC was a good one, well made and scary on a budget.

I quite enjoy the genre, even the terrible ones, as they tend to engage, even if you can tell that the actors are acting in the bad ones.

Also, I'm sure I've mentioned it on other horror threads, but Terrifier is brilliant, if only for the main character.

Another vote here for Hellraiser and its sequel, Hellbound. The first film is poorly directed in places but this is more than compensated for by Barker's original and imaginative approach to horror. Nothing like it had been seen before. Hellbound is good too, but the third sequel, Hell on Earth, is rubbish.

They're all terrible after the 2nd aren't they? I can't even say I actually enjoy watching the first two films in the traditional sense, they're that good at being horrifying.

Unfriended (Levan Gabriadze 2014)

In 2016 I worked out there was a thing called Netflix. I am slow on the uptake. Anyway, I watched this along with a load of other mostly trashy horror films. This is a trashy supernatural horror film at core, but it innovates (and properly commits to) a new style of onscreen horror. This style of film, like the found footage films, is a style that minimises cinematic artifice. There aren’t any dreamy montage sequences, or musical cues telling you what to feel or fancy camera work directing your attention. There are no polished performances or arresting images. It is pure drama. Eg. the drama of your applications not functioning the way they are supposed to or the drama of typing something and then deleting it and especially the drama of helplessly watching something unfold and of something horrible coming apparent on a busy computer screen. I find this film and its sequel to be endlessly watchable regardless of their flaws.
ohh I saw "Unfriended: Dark Web" recently, is that the sequel? Anyway I enjoyed it a lot! Cool idea.

Hereditary was probably the most impressive recent horror I've seen.
Same here, my favourite horror film of the last decade. Let the Right One In is my favourite of the decade bevor. I love horror films where the supernatural or the uncanny takes root in circumstances and characters which are believable. Like the grieving family of Hereditary, where the film really digs into the psychology of these characters or the social realist backdrop of 80s working class Sweden in Let the Right One In.

Last edited:
ohh I saw "Unfriended: Dark Web" recently, is that the sequel? Anyway I enjoyed it a lot! Cool idea.

Yeah that's the sequel. I think I prefer the first film, but there's not much in it. There's a recent film called Host out which is a similar thing, I haven't seen it but I bet Reno has. There's also Searching and I think a few others. I didn't care for Searching but I think others liked it.

Yeah that's the sequel. I think I prefer the first film, but there's not much in it. There's a recent film called Host out which is a similar thing, I haven't seen it but I bet Reno has. There's also Searching and I think a few others. I didn't care for Searching but I think others liked it.
Didn't get the acclaim for Searching, thought it was dumb and Debra Messing was hilariously miscast as the tough cop. I liked the Unfriended sequel though and thought it was better than the first. There have been a few more films which take place on a computer screen, The Den was quite good.

Last edited:
I've slightly lost interest over the last few years but still love the odd one... The last new one that really got me was "Incident in a Ghost Land", it is def not perfect but is properly horrific, particularly as I was expecting a kind of light suspense thing. Made by the same guy who did Martyrs I think, it isn't quite as amazing as that but it very effective.

Oh yeh I also enjoyed that newish one "Us", the plot is a bit of a mess but very entertaining, and I find the whole idea of doppelgangers really spooky. + it has great use of "I got 5 on it" in the soundtrack.

The use of Fuck the Police by NWA was a great gag.

Same here, my favourite horror film of the last decade. Let the Right One In is my favourite of the decade bevor. I love horror films where the supernatural or the uncanny takes root in circumstances and characters which are believable. Like the grieving family of Hereditary, where the film really digs into the psychology of these characters or the social realist backdrop of 80s working class Sweden in Let the Right One In.
hm this is one of the few films I don't share your opinion of... I thought it was ok, but nothing special. Actually I'm not than keen on vampire movies in general, maybe that was it, I can't think of one I like.

Didn't get the acclaim for Searching, though it was dumb and Debra Messing was hilariously miscast as the tough cop. I liked the Unfriended sequel though and thought it was better than the first. There have been a few more films which take place on a computer screen, The Den was quite good.

Searching didn't commit to the format. Bugged the hell out of me.

You can't be a horror fan and not like any vampire films. :mad:
I should rewatch "Martin The Vampire", that looks like I should like it, I remember it boring me when I was 13 or 14 though.

I never really explored any of the Hammer draculas.... not sure they will have dated all that well though, I've got the feeling I'd find them really slow.

I should rewatch "Martin The Vampire", that looks like I should like it, I remember it boring me when I was 13 or 14 though.

I never really explored any of the Hammer draculas.... not sure they will have dated all that well though, I've got the feeling I'd find them really slow.

Yes, to both things (as in worth watching).

Best vampire film might be the Nosferatu remake though, or maybe Let The Right One In.

Just Martin (by George Romero) and yes, it's acclaimed but I too found it a little boring when I saw it in my teens. Its approach was new, it got away from gothic horror and it made the vampire a modern psychopath who is probably just delusional.

I expect you liked "We Are What We Are" too eh. (the mexican vampire family film). Saw that at Frightfest and it was "ok" too.

Zombies, on the other hand, are nearly always up my street. but really I prefer either psychopaths or the catholic Devil as my embodiments of evil at the cinema.

Tobe Hooper's Salem's Lot is one that seems to stick in a lot of people's minds from childhood (if you grew up in the 80s).

Think it was shot as a TV show then edited into a film as well?

Yes, to both things (as in worth watching).

Best vampire film might be the Nosferatu remake though, or maybe Let The Right One In.
One of my favourite vampire movies is Daughters of Darkness from 1971, but it's more camp than scary. The Hunger from the 80s ripped it off but took itself way too seriously.

Last edited:
Tobe Hooper's Salem's Lot is one that seems to stick in a lot of people's minds from childhood (if you grew up in the 80s).

Think it was shot as a TV show then edited into a film as well?
I recently rewatched that. The horror aspects still work really well, those vampires are genuinely creepy. The character stuff is a bit of a drag (never one of Hooper's strong points)and that is 80% of the mini-series.

Anyone seen Christine (film of the stephen king book)? I spotted that on netflix yesterday and wondered if it was worth a shot tonight.

Back
Top Bottom