1410Pierre GaslyAlpine-RenaultA524
1531Esteban OconAlpine-RenaultA524
1630Liam LawsonRB-Honda RBPT01
1723Alexander AlbonWilliams-MercedesFW46
1814Fernando AlonsoAston Martin-MercedesAMR24
1924Zhou GuanyuSauber-FerrariC44
2077Valtteri BottasSauber-FerrariC44

Lando Norris cleared over ‘erratic’ driving in F1 US GP Sprint race​

The stewards have declared no further action on Lando Norris for “driving erratically” whilst battling Charles Leclerc in Formula 1’s United States Grand Prix Sprint race. Norris lost second place to Carlos Sainz heading into Turn 1 when he locked up under braking on the last lap of the truncated race, handing the position to the Spaniard. The incident occurred later on when Leclerc tried to pass Norris heading into Turn 15 and he narrowly avoided making contact with the rear of the McLaren car.

Over the radio, the Monegasque complained that the British driver moved under braking, as he had to react quickly to avoid any contact between the two drivers. The stewards investigated the incident after the race as they looked into whether Norris was “driving erratically” or not. After both drivers explained their actions to the stewards, the panel determined that no further action was required, maintaining Norris’ third-place result. “There did not appear to be any significant changes of direction under braking, and the move at Turn 15 was a legitimate defending move by the driver of Car 4,” the stewards said.

Leclerc reflects on ‘close call’ with Norris
After the Sprint Race, Leclerc gave his take on the incident: “I did not expect him to do that,” he said. “Maybe in the heat of the moment, I considered that he was moving under braking. “I’ve got to look back at the images, It seems to be on the limit with the way he took the line but at the end, it’s racing as well. So he wanted to keep that position, I tried. It was close. It was a close call. We nearly crashed but yeah, at the end, nobody crashed and he finished in front.”

His onboard showed that Norris moved to the inside to cover himself from any potential late move from the Ferrari driver. So when the 27-year-old braked later than usual, he had to take evasive action to avoid a collision into the back of the McLaren. Norris’ gap to Max Verstappen in the Drivers’ standings took a hit after the Red Bull driver was victorious in the Sprint race with his championship rival finishing behind him.

2024 United States Grand Prix grid​

Row 11. (4) Lando Norris 1’32.330
McLaren-Mercedes MCL38
2. (1) Max Verstappen 1’32.361
Red Bull-Honda RBPT RB20
Row 23. (55) Carlos Sainz Jnr 1’32.652
Ferrari SF-24
4. (16) Charles Leclerc 1’32.740
Ferrari SF-24
Row 35. (81) Oscar Piastri 1’32.950
McLaren-Mercedes MCL38
6. (63) George Russell No time
Mercedes W15
Row 47. (10) Pierre Gasly 1’33.018
Alpine-Renault A524
8. (14) Fernando Alonso 1’33.309
Aston Martin-Mercedes AMR24
Row 59. (20) Kevin Magnussen 1’33.481
Haas-Ferrari VF-24
10. (11) Sergio Perez No time
Red Bull-Honda RBPT RB20
Row 611. (22) Yuki Tsunoda 1’33.506
RB-Honda RBPT 01
12. (27) Nico Hulkenberg 1’33.544
Haas-Ferrari VF-24
Row 713. (31) Esteban Ocon 1’33.597
Alpine-Renault A524
14. (18) Lance Stroll 1’33.759
Aston Martin-Mercedes AMR24
Row 815. (23) Alexander Albon 1’34.051
Williams-Mercedes FW46
16. (43) Franco Colapinto 1’34.062
Williams-Mercedes FW46
Row 917. (77) Valtteri Bottas 1’34.152
Sauber-Ferrari C44
18. (44) Lewis Hamilton 1’34.154
Mercedes W15
Row 1019. (24) Zhou Guanyu 1’34.228
Sauber-Ferrari C44
20. (30) Liam Lawson No time
RB-Honda RBPT 01

Norris laughs at Marko after diminishing comment: 'It's amusing!'​

Lando Norris has responded to Red Bull's Helmut Marko's comments suggesting that he is not mentally strong enough to win a world title. McLaren team principal Andrea Stella has already responded to the Austrian's statement, showing his disdain for what Marko said. Norris, on the other hand, hasn't been affected by Marko's mind games, instead focusing on himself as he heads into the last six races of the season.

Norris is in the midst of a battle with Max Verstappen for the world title. Currently, the Dutchman leads by 54 points, but the Brit has not yet given up the fight. Norris won the last race in Singapore before the autumn hiatus, finishing 20 seconds in front of second-placed Verstappen. The Brit also took his seventh career pole on Saturday and will line up in front of Max Verstappen once again in Texas. In a possible attempt to get in Norris' head, Marko stated to Motorsport Magazin that Verstappen would be mentally a lot stronger than Norris. According to the Red Bull Racing advisor, the McLaren driver would have much weaker starts, not being strong enough to beat Verstappen. Marko also stated that Norris relies on certain rituals he needs to succeed on race days.

Norris laughs at Marko's statements:

That last statement, which many think would've affected him, would've most likely been misinterpreted, Norris laughingly told The Times: “He [Marko] says I have some rituals, but I think some of this is a translation difference. My only ritual is eating my chicken wraps! Just to beat them is the best way of doing it." (Getting into their heads) Norris continued to elaborate on Marko's statements: “Red Bull love a little bit more of that, trying to play games and stuff. It used to affect me … now I just find it more amusing.” he concluded.

Links

Russell hit with pit lane start for United States GP​

George Russell is to start the United States Grand Prix from the Austin pit lane. Mercedes struggled during qualifying in Texas, with Lewis Hamilton knocked out as 19th fastest in Q1, his first Q1 exit on pure pace since the 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix. He reported a suspension issue on his W15 on the formation lap from the sprint earlier in the day which could not be fixed as only Zhou Guanyu qualified slower than the five-time Austin winner.

As for Russell, he has fallen foul of the regulation that dictates parts changed in parc ferme must be of the same specification to those replaced. Russell struggled throughout qualifying on Saturday before he spun into the barriers in the dying moments of the session. His crash at the end of Q3 resulted in most of the fresh upgrades being destroyed, meaning he reverted to the old-spec, triggering the pit-lane start. “Following George’s accident in qualifying, we had to work on the car overnight during the cars covered period,” said a Mercedes spokesperson. “He will therefore start from the pit lane today. The workload involved in that was due to reverting on specification to what we ran in Singapore.”

The full adjusted starting grid
Position​
Driver​
Team​
1.​
Lando Norris​
McLaren​
2.​
Max Verstappen​
Red Bull​
3.​
Carlos Sainz​
Ferrari​
4.​
Charles Leclerc​
Ferrari​
5.​
Oscar Piastri​
McLaren​
6.​
Pierre Gasly​
Alpine​
7.​
Fernando Alonso​
Aston Martin​
8​
Kevin Magnussen​
Haas​
9.​
Sergio Perez​
Red Bull​
10​
Yuki Tsunoda​
RB​
11.​
Nico Hulkenberg​
Haas​
12.​
Esteban Ocon​
Alpine​
13.​
Lance Stroll​
Aston Martin​
14.​
Alex Albon​
Williams​
15.​
Franco Colapinto​
Williams​
16.​
Valtteri Bottas​
Stake F1​
17.​
Lewis Hamilton​
Mercedes​
18.​
Zhou Guanyu​
Stake F1​
19.​
Liam Lawson​
RB​
Pit Lane​
George Russell​
Mercedes​

Red Bull urged to 'tell the truth' or face F1 exclusion​

McLaren CEO Zak Brown has called on Red Bull staff members to sign affidavits in order to bring an end to cheating accusations. During the United States Grand Prix weekend, Red Bull confirmed it has a device that allows it to alter the front bib height of the RB20 following scrutiny from rival teams. Red Bull insisted it has not operated the device between qualifying and the grand prix as that would be illegal.

FIA single-seater director Nikolas Tombazis conceded it would be difficult to analyse when it was specifically used at previous events. In an attempt to put the matter to bed, Brown has requested Red Bull staff sign legal documents declaring the system was never used in a manner that could be considered outside the regulations. "I'd like to see the senior leadership, the former chief mechanics and the current mechanics sign an affidavit stating that they have never used or have no knowledge of it being used," Brown told reporters. "The suggestion in the pit lane from a handful of people is that it has been used in that manner, so the only way to bottom it out is the old-fashioned 'sign here', stating what has gone on. I know if I was presented with an affidavit and the consequences of not telling the truth were severe, I'd tell the truth."

[What's happened here in my view is that a member of Red Bull staff who has left and now works for a different team has told stories out of school]

Anthem watch:

We all know the words, and they say "Vote Democrat or that pus-bulging, shit-squitting, fraudster, rapist will infect the world".

Nice choral stuff.

25/10 for Kamala Harris's birthday.

:thumbs::D

Back
Top Bottom