Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction Rebellion

It would be good if they did that, a proper campaign. Instead they glued themselves to a few roads and then got bored of the whole insulation thing. Why put in the legwork campaigning for insulation when you can glue yourself to The Hay Wain or whatever.

The insulation thing was always part of a plan to have a rotating set of causes in terms of the non-XR bit. They are now Just Stop Oil. Maybe next year they’ll be something else.

Not that I think this is necessarily a good idea.

Glad this thread has popped up again. Don't want to give away my location but I've been working with a local community led campaign that's built up a bit of media profile and momentum and discovered last week the local XR group are seriously piggybacking off our work to promote themselves. Its difficult to tell if they're presenting a really similar sounding campaign or just trying to imply the community led thing is their thing. They're using very typical cobweb-left tactics like putting up a stall and asking people to "sign our petition" but to be fair they have also produced some good leaflets to educate people about the situation we're campaigning about. Whole thing feels very sectarian. I think the plan is to just ignore them but seriously how disappointing

The insulation thing was always part of a plan to have a rotating set of causes in terms of the non-XR bit. They are now Just Stop Oil. Maybe next year they’ll be something else.

Not that I think this is necessarily a good idea.

Well, it's seems they're now focusing on citizens assemblies ahead of stuff like insulation and fossil fuels.

Their citizens assemblies really are shit btw. They will be commanded by an opaquely selected "oversight panel" and run by a "co-ordinating group" selected by competitive tendering that will be responsible for selecting and structuring the evidence and developing a policy framework. The whole thing is basically XR giving a few randoms (actually laboriously selected to comply with identity politics) a Hobson's choice.

Apparently this is equally as important as their other two core demands ("telling the truth about climate change", and "acting now").

It’s an attempt to counter lobbying by big firms in a quasi-democratic way led by people who take the climate crisis seriously

Well, it's seems they're now focusing on citizens assemblies ahead of stuff like insulation and fossil fuels.

Their citizens assemblies really are shit btw. They will be commanded by an opaquely selected "oversight panel" and run by a "co-ordinating group" selected by competitive tendering that will be responsible for selecting and structuring the evidence and developing a policy framework. The whole thing is basically XR giving a few randoms (actually laboriously selected to comply with identity politics) a Hobson's choice.

Apparently this is equally as important as their other two core demands ("telling the truth about climate change", and "acting now").

Wrong on all 3 counts as it happens.
Quite impressive.

Do you know if Animal Rebellion is one of their things. Going into supermarkets and emptying the milk all over the floor. Sounds like the kind of inspirational tactics in solidarity with local workers that they like to use.

Do you know if Animal Rebellion is one of their things. Going into supermarkets and emptying the milk all over the floor. Sounds like the kind of inspirational tactics in solidarity with local workers that they like to use.

Animal Rebellion are linked to the whole shebang (more closely to XR, of which JSO/IB is an offshoot).

I think some of XR view them as the annoying little brother.

I'm not sure I agree with Animal Rebellion stealing milk and pouring it over the floor, over products. Easier to defend in places like Harrods, but this in principle is utterly counter productive and wrong headed

I know not XR, but the tipping shit over the Captain Tom statue and soup on Van Gogh painting. Utterly fuckwitted. Would not be surprised if they were groomed into such actions by state assets.
I don't think it's a good idea to throw such accusations around without evidence. The simpler explanation is surely more plausible: that they have developed a politics in which to get climate action they first need to get people to PAY ATTENTION, and thus they must do anything necessary to grab the headlines.

Unfortunately I think it's a mistaken idea, in that lack of attention isn't the problem. The problem is that those who would like to take action have no power, and those who have power don't want to take action. It's true there is a large bunch of people between those groups who don't pay much attention, but those are mostly people who would also have little power if they did pay attention - that's part of the reason they don't bother.

The problem is surely how to get leverage on those with power, or take their power away from them. I don't think XR and its offshoots are able to grapple with this problem very well, partly because they started with a duff theory of change - that if enough people get arrested the authorities will be pressured into acting.

I've only just heard that the QE2 bridge at Dartford has been closed since yesterday morning, because a couple of clowns climbed it.

I don't get why they didn't just leave them up there until they got bored, and kept the bridge open.

I've only just heard that the QE2 bridge at Dartford has been closed since yesterday morning, because a couple of clowns climbed it.

I don't get why they didn't just leave them up there until they got bored, and kept the bridge open.

I thought maybe in case they fell off and landed on a car. Seems would have been reasonable to put up a “possible falling Tarquins” sign and open the two middle lanes at least.

Back
Top Bottom