Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction Rebellion

Roger Hallam is getting much better at messaging/media stuff. Always thought he was a total liability but actually not bad at all here. Shows an understanding of his audience (readers of The Express).

Give us what we want and we'll be off motorways in a flash says IB founder ROGER HALLAM

"Everyone knows the situation - we have to cut carbon emissions and fast. So let's get to it and insulate and retrofit UK homes.
Each tax payer’s pound spent on this produces the biggest reduction in emissions compared to anything else. A construction industry expert told me this week it will be “the biggest engineering project” in British history. It will create hundreds of thousands of well-paid proper jobs for working people. Isn’t that what we’ve been crying out for, for decades? Providing people with the dignity of meaningful work that makes a real difference. What’s not to like about that?
And insulating homes will prevent tens of thousands of elderly people dying of the cold and damp in the winter. It’s about taking care of the most vulnerable in our communities who spent their lives providing for us. It’s our turn to provide for them.
All great stuff but why block roads? People are mad and quite right too. Who wants to get delayed going about their rightful business?
I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that every person sitting in the road hates sitting there and hates getting arrested. So why are they doing it? Because we have been asking the Government to get on with the job of dealing with the climate crisis for 30 years.
And we have all started to realise that this climate thing is not just another “issue” – weather from Hell is going to bring the economy crashing down if the Government does not act.
We have all seen the pictures of buildings being swept away in the German floods this summer, people drowning on the New York subway, forest fires burning down Greek holiday resorts.
What the hell is going on! It’s arrived. And it’s only going to get a lot worse if Boris doesn’t pull his finger out.
People are sitting in the road for a simple reason – it’s about taking responsibility.
Many are in their sixties and seventies, their fathers and grandfathers went over the top at the Somme and fought at Arnhem.
They don’t want to be lying on their deathbeds knowing that on their watch they squandered the freedoms and prosperity that their forefathers sacrificed their lives to provide.
They don’t want to look into the eyes of their grandchildren and say: “Sorry we just stood by and you will spend your lives trying to deal with the vandalism, the refugees, the floods and fires produced by our cowardice and greed”.
Let me be blunt – the endless delay and dithering on something as important as this is disgusting and pathetic.
What we need, and what Insulate Britain is crying out for, is one thing: leadership. Someone has to do the Churchill thing and tell the country it is facing “blood, sweat and tears” because that is the brutal truth.
It is what it is. Better out in than in. A stitch in time saves ninety-nine.
It’s basic British common sense to get on with the job. We all know Boris wants to step up, so come on man, show us what you’re made of.
And Insulate Britain will be off the road in a flash."

Last edited:
It’s “only” 82 movements a day, which is 5 an hour if the runway is operating 16 hours a day.

I’m sure a lot of super rich folk use it in preference to Heathrow.

Last edited:
It’s “only” 82 movements a day, which is 5 an hour if the runway is operating 16 times a day.

I’m sure a lot of super rich folk use it in preference to Heathrow.
I was at Farnborough a few weeks back (for something entirely different) and it didn't seem anything like five flights an hour. Although I was there on a Saturday so I guess it must be much busier during the week.

I live not far from Biggin Hill Airport and they offer a six minute heli-taxi to central London so I suppose Farnborough does something similar for the super rich travellers.

I was at Farnborough a few weeks back (for something entirely different) and it didn't seem anything like five flights an hour. Although I was there on a Saturday so I guess it must be much busier during the week.

I live not far from Biggin Hill Airport and they offer a six minute heli-taxi to central London so I suppose Farnborough does something similar for the super rich travellers.
also

also
That would make sense as during the lockdowns there were still planes flying in and out of Biggin Hill.

(Biggin Hill isn't allowed to operate scheduled or holiday charter flights)

It's an odd action this, because so much of the Black Friday extra shipping will be early Christmas shopping, so it's far too early to really piss anyone off much.
They also seem to have put very little emphasis on the tax dodging.

Two people dangling off the side of a bridge, doesn't affect the traffic on the bridge at all, the message gets out and no one is inconvenienced.

"But we want inconvenience!"

BBB.JPG

AAA.JPG

(and City of London pigs, obvs.)

From their facebook page this evening :

❗️
END FOSSIL FUELS NOW
❗️

Over the last 7 days, Extinction Rebellion and the Just Stop Oil coalition have been demanding that the UK government ends fossil fuels now. Given the scale of the climate and ecological emergency, this is not an unreasonable demand. Join us at Speaker’s Corner, Hyde Park, TOMORROW at 10am.

Here’s what we’ve been doing:

➡️
Last Friday, Extinction Rebellion and the Just Stop Oil coalition blocked 10 oil facilities across the UK: Hythe, Hamble, West London, Grays, Navigator, Purfleet, Kingsbury, BP, Esso and Buncefield. Whilst XR used boats and oil drums to block access to the terminals, Just Stop Oil sat in roads, climbed on oil tankers, and dug tunnels.
➡️
On Saturday, the Just Stop Oil coalition revealed their tunnel network beneath the Navigator and Grays terminals. 10 young people climbed on top of oil tankers, and 7 oil terminals were blocked overall: Grays, Purfleet, Navigator, Titan, Kingsbury, BP and Esso.
➡️
On Sunday, more people from Just Stop Oil climbed onto and blocked oil tankers, whilst a small number of people entered the loading bay at Buncefield terminal. One Just Stop Oil supporter glued himself to the mic in the middle of an interview on LBC.
➡️
On Monday, XR returned to block Esso’s West London terminal with 2 beacons and approximately 30 people. The Just Stop Oil coalition blocked Kingsbury terminal and an access road, and it began to emerge that petrol stations were running out of fuel.
➡️
On Tuesday, the tunnel occupation ended, and the Just Stop Oil coalition continued taking action by sitting in roads and blocking the gate to Kingsbury terminal.
➡️
On Wednesday, 25 young people from the Just Stop Oil coalition entered the Navigator terminal, climbing on top of tankers and the loading bay. 4 people from Extinction Rebellion climbed on top of oil tankers leaving Esso’s West London terminal, whilst scientists and academics took action by covering the shell building in London with fake oil.
➡️
On Thursday, the occupation at Navigator terminal continued, whilst 37 more Just Stop Oil supporters began to occupy the Kingsbury terminal. Doctors for Extinction Rebellion took action, with healthcare workers locking on to oil barrels outside HM Treasury.
➡️
Today, on the eve of our mass civil resistance in London, Extinction Rebellion hung a huge banner from Tower Bridge reading “END FOSSIL FUELS NOW”.

When scientists and doctors are glueing themselves to oil company headquarters and being arrested en masse, we should take that as a warning sign, shouldn’t we?

This week has shown that we must be courageous, determined and resilient in our actions, because we are on the right side of history. Step up, sit down and refuse to be a bystander. Join us at Speaker’s Corner, Hyde Park, TOMORROW at 10am.

277795568_292067943097182_6333653309513559982_n.jpg

277779065_292067953097181_1882752335584587358_n.jpg

277783434_292067896430520_3250649803587449983_n.jpg

277744525_292067676430542_8265103983751439027_n.jpg

278143955_292073086430001_5252627948632939799_n.jpg

Attachments

• 277783434_292067896430520_3250649803587449983_n.jpg
    277783434_292067896430520_3250649803587449983_n.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom