Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction Rebellion

Ah right, so they're not just a bunch of rich, white, middle-class wankers, like the rest of XR. I guess everyone must be wrong about them.

I'm more than happy to listen (and give) criticisms of XR, but I'd like to think they'd be grounded in some sort of reality rather than a regurgitated Spiked or Daily Mail article based on the fetid delusions of a demented Tory.

This is literally the first line on their website:

Join the Insulate Britain Campaign to force the government to insulate Britain's leaky homes starting with social housing.​

I'm more than happy to listen (and give) criticisms of XR, but I'd like to think they'd be grounded in some sort of reality rather than a regurgitated Spiked or Daily Mail article based on the fetid delusions of a demented Tory.

This is literally the first line on their website:

Join the Insulate Britain Campaign to force the government to insulate Britain's leaky homes starting with social housing.​

Must be true then, if it's written in big fonts.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fffa192de-0f06-11ea-96fb-8041210fa214.jpg

I think with specific regard to council and social housing then I would agree. Most of that housing stock is post war and a lot easier to achieve thermal upgrades, besides as mentioned upthread this has already been happening for many years.

When it comes down to the pre-war (mostly privately owned) housing stock I do think people severely underestimate some of the complexity involved and how achievable it is and I say this as someone more than familiar with the industry.
I think another complexity arises with leasehold properties whenever they were built. When I lived in a leasehold flat, my downstairs neighbour and I asked for permission from the freehold company to get get cavity wall insulation done under a discounted council scheme and they refused to agree to it.

I can't remember the exact reasons they gave. It was something along the lines of:

1 - they were responsible for the fabric of the building,​
2 - only they could initiate and authorise the work - we couldn't authorise any work ourselves which affected the fabric of the building,​
3 - the lease only covered maintenance of the building and that cavity wall insulation was an upgrade,​
4 - although we were willing to pay for the CWI they wouldn't be able to recover any costs they incurred as a result of the CWI via the service charge as it would be outside the scope of the lease​
5 - even though the walls around mine and my neighbours flats only effectively enclosed our properties there were adjoining walls for the communal stairway and they were concerned about the impact of any "spillage" or insulation into the walls of the communal stairway​

I doubt I'll get an honest answer to what you do for a living so it's hard to know but being a bit tough and not talking posh doesn't make you working class.
I had an accident at work 20 years ago. It left my neck fucked and I haven't worked since, although I do still do the occasional bit of CAD work for a friend, as it facilitates eating. It would be nice to be able to work again, as I haven't got a pot to piss in, but hey ho.

I had an accident at work 20 years ago. It left my neck fucked and I haven't worked since, although I do still do the occasional bit of CAD work for a friend, as it facilitates eating. It would be nice to be able to work again, as I haven't got a pot to piss in, but hey ho.
Congratulations, I can confirm that you're not middle class.

And Saul Goodman do you really think people involved in XR are doing it for some free insulation for themselves (or some other thing like that) or are you just trying to make the point that you don't like or agree with them or what they're doing? If so is it the whole thing on climate, what they're doing generally, or this M25 thing specifically?

And Saul Goodman do you really think people involved in XR are doing it for some free insulation for themselves (or some other thing like that) or are you just trying to make the point that you don't like or agree with them or what they're doing? If so is it the whole thing on climate, what they're doing generally, or this M25 thing specifically?
I suspect it's "I like vehicles and am deeply suspicious of people who say vehicles may cause environmental problems - especially strange English people who look funny".

I don't believe they're doing it for free Insulation. I believe they're doing it because they're bored, middle-class kids, who literally have nothing else to do, and their need to feel wanted has driven them to this, probably because mummy and daddy didn't give them enough attention as a child.

I don't agree with what they're doing because they're doing absolutely nothing of worth. All they're achieving is pissing people off. They could go and protest outside downing Street or dig up Boris Johnson's lawn but they'd rather piss off normal people.

I don't believe they're doing it for free Insulation. I believe they're doing it because they're bored, middle-class kids, who literally have nothing else to do, and their need to feel wanted has driven them to this, probably because mummy and daddy didn't give them enough attention as a child.

I don't agree with what they're doing because they're doing absolutely nothing of worth. All they're achieving is pissing people off. They could go and protest outside downing Street or dig up Boris Johnson's lawn but they'd rather piss off normal people.
So what's your excuse for pissing off people on a regular basis?

Yes, they should spend their time more usefully and join the middle aged men ranting on a message board!

If nothing else XR and Insulate both show what a non-serious country this is, so far there have been calls to run them down, claims that they're a Chinese/Russian/government backed front to destroy something or the other and endless day dreams from van drivers about how they'd go John Wick on some middle aged eco types as part of their hero fantasies about rushing half a dozen pregnant women to A&E in the back of their Transit. Good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom