Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction Rebellion

Extinction Rebellion need to do much more of this sort of thing:

I'm not sure, what is more of that going to do? That kind of thing has been done for decades about various issues to little or no effect. How will it be any different this time? Especially as it seems like the dynamic of these events have changed already in terms of how the police and media regard them (the police less tolerant and the media less interested).

Lots of the other stuff that has blocked roads has a practical utility of stopping work or something similar, or it's been about creating a space for a party/liberated space from cars. With this I feel like there's a bit of them copying that blocking bit without the context.

So is it solely a numbers game; more activists = more disruption and publicity = government change of heart? That's what the XR's stated strategy is, that 3.5% thing based on the flawed study by Chenoweth and Stephan (which I'm sure most people in XR have no clue about). Or is the plan and goal something else?

This thread is like the Full English Breakfast one but with the collapse of modern society and death of a huge proportion of humanity rather than hash browns at stake.

Full of people commenting on why people who are doing something are doing it wrong without ‘getting the fucking pans out’ themselves.

I'm not sure, what is more of that going to do? That kind of thing has been done for decades about various issues to little or no effect. How will it be any different this time? Especially as it seems like the dynamic of these events have changed already in terms of how the police and media regard them (the police less tolerant and the media less interested).

Lots of the other stuff that has blocked roads has a practical utility of stopping work or something similar, or it's been about creating a space for a party/liberated space from cars. With this I feel like there's a bit of them copying that blocking bit without the context.

So is it solely a numbers game; more activists = more disruption and publicity = government change of heart? That's what the XR's stated strategy is, that 3.5% thing based on the flawed study by Chenoweth and Stephan (which I'm sure most people in XR have no clue about). Or is the plan and goal something else?
Numbers are down this rebellion. XR has yet to really recover from Covid, which smashed it's meeting structure for a year.

However as a whole XR has been doing a lot more year round stuff .

Reactions: LDC
I think they completely overestimate the amount of people who are willing and able to get to central London for a two week - indefinite period. I was pretty fired up to do something this time, but I really could only spare a couple of days and there's no clear point of crescendo to this rebellion, eg a weekend where numbers are really needed that I could try to get to. So I fucked it off. I think they really need to find more ways of allowing people all round the country to play a part rather than these annual London performances.

I really wonder how my local ER group will function in future given quite a few of the leading members seem to have found a new passion in covid denial.

I think they completely overestimate the amount of people who are willing and able to get to central London for a two week - indefinite period. I was pretty fired up to do something this time, but I really could only spare a couple of days and there's no clear point of crescendo to this rebellion, eg a weekend where numbers are really needed that I could try to get to. So I fucked it off. I think they really need to find more ways of allowing people all round the country to play a part rather than these annual London performances.

I really wonder how my local ER group will function in future given quite a few of the leading members seem to have found a new passion in covid denial.

What city are you in?

No idea how the local group here is doing, it felt like it was struggling before covid about what to do, and I'm not on any social media so completely out of touch now. Like you said people were getting less willing to go to London for ages, and some people also seemed to be less sure about the blockading/disruption stuff for a mix of reasons (others were still very keen and saw it as the main thing XR needed to so and keep doing). There was a slight tendency to seem to move into some vague 'education' direction that was arty stuff or picnics mostly.

What city are you in?

No idea how the local group here is doing, it felt like it was struggling before covid about what to do, and I'm not on any social media so completely out of touch now. Like you said people were getting less willing to go to London for ages, and some people also seemed to be less sure about the blockading/disruption stuff for a mix of reasons (others were still very keen and saw it as the main thing XR needed to so and keep doing). There was a slight tendency to seem to move into some vague 'education' direction that was arty stuff or picnics mostly.
I'm in Calderdale. There are two groups here it seems, one for Calderdale and one for Halifax, which is bizarre because Halifax is in Calderdale - but likely has emerged like that because people in Hebden Bridge want their own thing rather than getting involved with the main urban centre. I'm probably being unfair to the Calderdale group it's probably only a couple of them who have gone covid-obsessed, and they are likely extremely grateful to be rid of them (assuming that they go down the linked rabbit hole to climate denial as well).

No idea what either group have been up to since the early days when they were more visible. I will try to make an effort to check out what the Halifax group is up to.

Reactions: LDC
I think they really need to find more ways of allowing people all round the country to play a part rather than these annual London performances.

People round the country are involved in smaller local actions pretty frequently. There was a blockade of a waste incinerator near me a couple of weeks ago (because there are plans to build a new incinerator and the carbon profile of the thing is awful).

People round the country are involved in smaller local actions pretty frequently. There was a blockade of a waste incinerator near me a couple of weeks ago (because there are plans to build a new incinerator and the carbon profile of the thing is awful).
Fair dos. I've not heard of much round here for a long time but it might be just that I'm out of the loop. And we have a waste incinerator about to be put in a geographically terrible place, rejected by the council and approved by Secretary of State...

What do you think of the idea of oil refineries being blockaded? Or those who invest in and profit from fossil fuels being targeted?

What do you think of the idea of oil refineries being blockaded? Or those who invest in and profit from fossil fuels being targeted?

Depends on how etc. I think blockading of currently operating oil facilities is likely to be very difficult (number of entrances, safety concerns, how much comes in and out by road on a daily basis rather than pipes etc.) and it will also be met with a harsh response and likely poor publicity. They also would require a good number of people that would be willing to risk getting arrested, and for it to work they would likely need to do more than just lie in the way, even if they are locked on to stuff. Also obviously strongly single location focused, so people have to travel to do anything, so that would cut involvement/numbers down. And it'd be massive amounts of planning and resources for one day that could just end up an ineffective disaster.

E2A: The people that work there could do it, but that's being possible is a different topic unfortunately.

The financial stuff sounds better, but in reality it is again largely symbolic, and often just results in local bank branches being hit with a banner or something, or maybe the roads in City of London being blocked.

Off top of my head if I were to pick an area for a target I'd hit new any oil and gas exploration. Easy demand, no new oil or gas developments in the UK. Big rolling co-ordinated attacks across the country against anyone involved in them, so decentralized stuff against suppliers, etc. as well as central things possible.

I dunno though, I fully accept it's really difficult and people are trying.

Last edited:
theres a balance of keeping the public on board i guess

Also has he any idea of who many refineries and for who long they would have to be blocked before the queues even happened?

Also people know about climate change, the idea we need to do things to bring it to their attention is years out of date.

Surely action needs to be targeted at those with the power to force change. And that is politicians and financial institutions, in the main.

And locally, I think there's much more that could be done in terms of co-ordinated pressure on the planning system. Objections to carbon-centric development, protests at meetings, pressure on councillors. It's not glamorous but could start to shift the dial in terms of how much climate is factored into local planning decisions.

And locally, I think there's much more that could be done in terms of co-ordinated pressure on the planning system. Objections to carbon-centric development, protests at meetings, pressure on councillors. It's not glamorous but could start to shift the dial in terms of how much climate is factored into local planning decisions.
It might be easier to exert pressure when planning frameworks are revised because otherwise you'll be burning people out at a rate of knots

Passed by the Covent Garden thing and chatted to a guy, was keen on building up numbers for these things but I'm not sure why. You could double or triple the numbers I saw and police would still wade through them if they chose to. Same issue with every set piece thing in Central, they all follow the same pattern, get surrounded and gradually wind down. Was also an odd place to choose, one street over by Soho would have been far more disruptive, or financial district.

It might be easier to exert pressure when planning frameworks are revised because otherwise you'll be burning people out at a rate of knots
This ^^^

It's hard work trying to get individual developments turned down as the environmental standards enshrined in the planning framework aren't particularly high and most developers manage to "tick the boxes" on their environmental obligations.

Wonder why Covent Garden was chosen?

My guess is they're reacting to all the bitching about 'shutting down London'. Oxford Circus, Covent Garden - they're both fairly famous but primarily tourist areas, not loads of people driving around up there. Probably getting longer before the police try to shut them down too than if they went to the city. That said the majority of the complaining about the disruptions comes from people who know nothing about the areas it's happening in. Thames Water cause about 10,000 times more issues to Londoners through their routine negligence than XR ever have.

e2a: Swear that topless woman has gotten more coverage than the rest of the protests combined, fair play to her.

Aren’t still only about 20% of people returning to offices in London? The protests in the City must be to empty streets, no?

The reporter on ITV the other day was saying they'd spoken to someone who was going back to the office for the first time in 18 months, and they just wanted things to get back to normal not have all this disruption, and it was like you've blatantly just made that up

Back
Top Bottom