Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction Rebellion

Yes, only like four or five people with him mind. Sorry, didn't make it clear that he was still an arsehole and hadn't had some conversion to support something worthwhile.

In his early days he was good on issues of housing in London. Back in 70s. Part of the more political squatting scene. Did a lot of good work. At the time was in the International Marxist Group along with Tariq Ali. A small but influential Marxist group.

The squatting scene in London then was big.

I've seen him at housing stuff. On that he is good.

He's gone off on a tangent about the pandemic.

Kind of sad to see as in younger days did a lot of good work.

In some ways the XR protests now have similarities to what he did in 70s. There are parallels.

Anti mainstream authority.

Not sure what to make of it. XR protests have their percentage of slightly off the wall people as well.

I don't have a problem with that.

Its what makes street protest interesting.

download.jpeg

Last edited:
I see XR are still going on about what they term "Peoples Assemblies" as part of the "Beyond Politics" agenda.

Its where I part company with XR. They aren't Peoples Assmblies. This isn't the workers and peasants taking over. Or the masses getting a bigger say in how things are run. Which Imo they should.

It more accurate to use the term Deliberative Democracy.

There are various types. Some better than others. But XR don't go into this.

There is a debate to be had about extending democracy and how to do it. Deliberative Democracy could be part of this. But it needs more discussion. XR take it as a given.

I find banners and website going on about People's Assemblies a bit misleading.

Last edited:
AFAIK there's never been an effective (or even half effective) blockade of an oil refinery in the UK by any activist group, although there have been attempts. Not saying it's impossible, but currently I'm not sure any group could manage to pull it off tbh.

it would very little to disrupt the oil stuff in the UK with action at refeineries, ie they dont need to much delay to impact the public

You clearly think his opinion is worthy of posting here, so could you offer some reasons why anyone should give a flying fuck what this curmudgeonly, moaning bloke thinks? What possible relevance does he have to anything?
The guy knows his stuff. Has been an activist for decades and has seen movements come and go over the years, including environmental movements.

The guy knows his stuff. Has been an activist for decades and has seen movements come and go over the years, including environmental movements.
But is he actually good at working with other people? That's what it takes to build movements, to work with a range of people, some of whom might not entirely agree with you. Otherwise you just end up in a tiny group of six people who do agree with you, and you're not a movement.

I've met him btw and he's a grumpy more-radical-than-you arse in real life so the first question was rhetorical.

But is he actually good at working with other people? That's what it takes to build movements, to work with a range of people, some of whom might not entirely agree with you. Otherwise you just end up in a tiny group of six people who do agree with you, and you're not a movement.

I've met him btw and he's a grumpy more-radical-than-you arse in real life so the first question was rhetorical.
I've met him too, atleast a few times. Knows his stuff and has got his head screwed on. Has a nice way about him and a great sense of humour aswell.

Unfortunately he gets a lot of ageism and unfair criticism aimed at him.

I've met him too, atleast a few times. Knows his stuff and has got his head screwed on. Has a nice way about him and a great sense of humour aswell.

Unfortunately he gets a lot of ageism and unfair criticism aimed at him.
I'm sure he does.

But he also says objectivley stupid things. The argument that voting changes nothing or that Labour and the Tories are equally bad is plainly wrong. He also refuses to engage in anything productive. Not once has he put forward any suggestions on how to achieve his goals other than, it seems, go out and riot. That didn't work so well in 2011.

I'm sure he does.

But he also says objectivley stupid things. The argument that voting changes nothing or that Labour and the Tories are equally bad is plainly wrong. He also refuses to engage in anything productive. Not once has he put forward any suggestions on how to achieve his goals other than, it seems, go out and riot. That didn't work so well in 2011.
He seems like quite a standard-order urban75 poster, at least in the politics forum, to me. People here are regularly saying/doing all of the above.

I wonder what username he goes under.

He is a total shit ime.

Absolute arsehole.

Certain things he has said and done that I will never forgive or forget.

it would very little to disrupt the oil stuff in the UK with action at refeineries, ie they dont need to much delay to impact the public

There were massive shortages the last time it was tried properly ((2005 far right bollocks with an anti lorry tax front organisation) and not a single litre was stopped at the gates but panic buying fucked the Just in Time supply chain. A bit like toilet paper last year. You could probably get shortages with not much activity. But as the Nazis found out last time I think the Security Service would be all over you in about 3/10ths of a second and collapse the movement.

Well this thread has turned into a ridiculous pile-on, so I don't think I'll participate in it any longer, for the time being.

All I did was post a video expressing a knowledgable viewpoint regarding what XR are currently up to.

I'm sure he does.

Do you really want to de-rail this thread into one all about electoralism?

I don't think that's a good idea.

I'm sure he does.

This post is objectively stupid if anything is^

Well this thread has turned into a ridiculous pile-on, so I don't think I'll participate in it any longer, for the time being.

All I did was post a video expressing a knowledgable viewpoint regarding what XR are currently up to.
That video was just that bloke slagging young people off. There was nothing knowledgeable about it - it was just bitter and sneering.

Back
Top Bottom