Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Excellent cycling routes from London?

DrRingDing

'anti-human wanker'
I'm planning a weekend cycling adventure.

I was thinking of cycling along the canal system out of London and then getting the train home.

Problems with that is it will be busy with pedestrians.....not so bad out of town.

Any ideas?

The River Lea one (canal?) seemed pretty quiet once you get up past the Olympic park. Closer to town it's a bit stuffed with joggers on a nice day.

The River Lea one (canal?) seemed pretty quiet once you get up past the Olympic park. Closer to town it's a bit stuffed with joggers on a nice day.
still fairly busy with cyclists and joggers up past Clapton and towards Tottenham/Walthamstow

Thames path to Weybridge, then the Wey navigation to Godalming, should be a pleasant 2 day ride.

I cycled along the Grand Union Canal from Paddington to King's Langley a few years ago, then caught the train back home, a few years ago. It was fairly quiet. This was during the week.

I've got a book called "Get Lost: Off-road adventures with a bicycle within easy each of London" which has a whole load of routes out of London (which is where I got the above route). The trouble is the book is really, really old now, so I don't know if any of the routes that use roads would still be suitable these days because of the increase in traffic. Of course, the canal ride is still do-able.

I cycled along the Grand Union Canal from Paddington to King's Langley a few years ago, then caught the train back home, a few years ago. It was fairly quiet. This was during the week.

I've got a book called "Get Lost: Off-road adventures with a bicycle within easy each of London" which has a whole load of routes out of London (which is where I got the above route). The trouble is the book is really, really old now, so I don't know if any of the routes that use roads would still be suitable these days because of the increase in traffic. Of course, the canal ride is still do-able.

I did something like that but backwards. We got a train to Watford and cycled back to Paddington along the canal. It was a most enjoyable ride. The path wasn't that busy, but it was a weekday.

Did you know TfL do free cycle route maps covering the whole of Greater London?

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/forms/12419.aspx

I did something like that but backwards. We got a train to Watford and cycled back to Paddington along the canal. It was a most enjoyable ride. The path wasn't that busy, but it was a weekday.

Did you know TfL do free cycle route maps covering the whole of Greater London?

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/forms/12419.aspx
I've heard of them, but never used them, as I don't do much cycling in London these days. I do have this book though: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1847739342/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't tried any of the routes yet though. I did have another similarly named, but different, book that I bought a few years ago, but reading the reviews on Amazon it's not much use now as routes have changed it sends you down a lot of busy roads, which is why I bought the new one.

Actually, a route I did when I lived in London that was enjoyable, was another from the older book I mentioned earlier: cycling from my home in Nunhead (well the actual start was Herne Hill) through south London and out into the countryside finishing at Godstone. It was very satisfying cycling from my house in inner London and ending up in the countryside outside. :cool:

Obvious one is the river Lea out towards Hertford or Harlow
Probably the best (nice cafe a bit past after Enfield Lock) although looking at this excellent interactive cycling map the LCC Route Planner
the route 6 on the union canal also looks good. The river lea one is good especially if you join around Hackney wick as it's quite fast and sparse.

Back
Top Bottom