Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ever had a negative reaction to a political T-shirt?

Yeah, used to have one with the legend 'Suicide Bomber' on it, was under a jumper as I flew to Amsterdam, had to run for the flight and after I sat down was hot and took the jumper off, stewardess saw it and said it was disgusting and refused to give me a drink. This was late September 2001.

Used to have an anti-fascist one and never had any bad experiences. Saw a guy the other day wearing a 'you're never more than 6ft from a Tory' one featuring a giant rat and it made me wonder if anyone's ever had any grief.
You needed one with "Especially if you're stood on his grave" written on it.
Yeah, used to have one with the legend 'Suicide Bomber' on it, was under a jumper as I flew to Amsterdam, had to run for the flight and after I sat down was hot and took the jumper off, stewardess saw it and said it was disgusting and refused to give me a drink. This was late September 2001.
Probably not the smartest sartorial decision ever. Friend of Son Q had a t-shirt with something witty in Arabic writing on it and got a shitload of grief off immigration for wearing it through immigration a few years back.

Not political, but have worn St Pauli stuff for years and for most of that time it was like a secret society. Most people had no idea what it was about and you'd only get approached for friendly chat by people who knew. Globalisation and the internet has changed all that and I've been glared at a couple of times in recent years but no threats or violence.

Had a reaction to a Godspeed You! Black Emperor T-shirt a few years back. It has a six-pointed star design on it (maybe a Jewish reference given the band's background, maybe not). Some obviously fash bloke was standing around outside Totnes station with his young son waiting for a lift or something. They were a distance away and I had headphones on but I saw him clock the shirt and then say something to the kid and mime some undercut punches. I'd been in the pub all afternoon and had to do that DON'T SAY OR DO ANYTHING - IT WILL NOT END WELL check on myself. I was fucking fuming.

Although I didn't have a bad reaction to the anti-fascist one which featured a swastika being trashed I did stop wearing it because one day I glanced at it and thought if you only looked at it quickly you might get the wrong idea of what it was about.

The intramural softball team I was on in college somehow picked up the name "Red Army". Our uniform jersey & cap were red with a big yellow star.

As a Navy ROTC midshipman, the uniform got more than a few angry glares when I wore it.
Someone had suggested a hammer & sickle emblem, but I think the (narrow) consensus was that was taking the joke a little too far...

You needed one with "Especially if you're stood on his grave" written on it.

Probably not the smartest sartorial decision ever. Friend of Son Q had a t-shirt with something witty in Arabic writing on it and got a shitload of grief off immigration for wearing it through immigration a few years back.
I had problems going through airport security back in the early 2000s and I think it was because of the Japanese on my Tshirt was mistaken for Arabic.

I used to wear a plain white keffiyeh tied up (properly tied up) around my head as a sun hat, while living in Tel Aviv 25 years ago. That provoked the occasional err comment.

Nobody bats an eyelid if I wear it here, though I have had people ask me where I'm from.

Although I didn't have a bad reaction to the anti-fascist one which featured a swastika being trashed I did stop wearing it because one day I glanced at it and thought if you only looked at it quickly you might get the wrong idea of what it was about.
I saw someone wearing a black long sleeve t-shirt with swastika's all over in Clwb Ifor Bach at a techno night. My mate asked him about it and he said it was anti-nazi but it was a bit weird. Never got any pictures of it.

Not in the slightest political, but I had to stop wearing my Battles T-shirt which plainly says 'I HAVE BATTLES IN MY LIFE' outside the house after a couple of sincere arm-on-shoulder 'I know exactly where you're coming from, mate' moments with strangers.

Plus there was my nephew's 'No you don't!!' reaction when he was about nine whch convinced me that it was getting misunderstood on at least two levels.

Have a Tee with the word "Arseholes" spelt out by vertically stacking various toy cunts' names.....had some glares but no actual comments (well not whilst still in earshot)

I can't think of any time or place where wearing that doesn't nake you a dick

Back
Top Bottom