Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Etiquette upon recovering from the virus

Brainaddict

slight system overdrive
So I've recovered from the virus, having luckily had a mild dose, but it was clear what it was because my housemate had the full works. Now I'm recovered I am very unlikely to get infected again and can no longer infect others. Obviously in public I will continue to keep 2m from people, but it seems a bit silly to wear a mask at this point. Would you?

Also I can now visit friends without much risk to anyone, but should I? Will it break the sense of everybody having to be in lockdown together? Will casual observers get angry with me?

There's a difference between what I expect the government to advise (because they can't be sure people who think they've had the virus have had it) and what I might think is reasonable (given that I know I had the virus). What should I do with that?

Have you definitely had the virus, and does having it mean you're definitely immune and can't infect anyone else?
I don't have much doubt. A week of viral fatigue and an aching chest and shortness of breath, with no runny nose - while my housemate had the clearest possible case of the virus.

We should all assume everyone we don't live with has the virus and people need to be free to assume that about you. You could wear a t-shirt explaining your situation but in order to read it people would probably have to come within two metres of you.

Also not only can you not be 100% certain but given the scientists aren't 100% certain about reinfection and immunity then neither are you. So just do what everyone else is doing.

I wouldn't call it etiquette rather is it safe?
Is anyone else asymptomatic in your house?
Are sure your not asymptomatic still?
Surfaces in your home free of virus?
Three of four in the house have had it now. The fourth either lucked out and didnt' get it, or was asymptomatic. Either way it's a month since it arrived in the house so she seems to be in the clear for now. We will disinfect the whole house later today to reduce the chance of us taking it out the house on hands/clothes, though obv that's not the main transmission route.

You can still be infectious even if you're no longer showing symptoms, so if you think you've definitely been exposed then you should wear a mask in any situation where you'll be near other people.
Interested in the evidence for this - it's definitely not government advice in terms of self-isolation due to infection risk. But I'm aware our government advice has been known to be wrong.

Maybe volunteer for one of your local groups. The other volunteers cant be sure they dont have it or have had it etc either so. But still distance etc.

This dilemma will only get worse. If people have had the virus, been tested and recovered how will we all self-police this thing? Can all those we know be trusted? (Difficult sometimes). Can all those we don’t know be trusted? (Nope!) Right now the answer may still be to act the same, but when 25%, 50%, 75% of the population have had the virus and no herd immunity appears? Maybe you can catch it again, maybe not, maybe a vaccine will work, maybe not. Aaaargghh!

I'm not rushing out to see my friends btw, but I am out of isolation as of today. But consider the case of my housemate, for whom there is no ambiguity - high temperature and fever for days, painful cough etc. She doesn't need to get tested to know she has had it. I don't think it's going to work to tell people they must get tested to assume they've had it when (a) testing is not available and (b) it's blinking obvious they've had it.

What do you think you / your housemate should be able to do, that isn't immediately hamstrung by it being socially unacceptable, or unavailable? Your friends aren't taking visitors. The pubs are closed. Curtain twitchers will dob you in if you go for a game of frisbee. You just have to stick with it tbh.

I'm not rushing out to see my friends btw, but I am out of isolation as of today. But consider the case of my housemate, for whom there is no ambiguity - high temperature and fever for days, painful cough etc. She doesn't need to get tested to know she has had it. I don't think it's going to work to tell people they must get tested to assume they've had it when (a) testing is not available and (b) it's blinking obvious they've had it.

I'm in the same boat. Its fairly obvious to both me and my partner that we've both had it. But you know, we've not been tested (tests are for rich people) so we can't be 100% so we still pose a potential threat to others. All we can do is follow the guidelines. Only go out if necessary and keep the 2m distancing up. That's all you can do. Its shit, but its shit for everyone.

ETA: Even if I had been tested and knew I'd already had it there is no concrete proof that I'm still not a risk to others as a carrier.

What do you think you / your housemate should be able to do, that isn't immediately hamstrung by it being socially unacceptable, or unavailable? Your friends aren't taking visitors. The pubs are closed. Curtain twitchers will dob you in if you go for a game of frisbee. You just have to stick with it tbh.
Of course we should stick to not leaving the house except for food or exercise, but I know one friend will ask to go for a walk with me soon because he's desperate for company. Nobody will know we aren't housemates so there's nothing to dob in. My housemate who has 100% had CV-19 has been apart from her partner for a month. Will she continue to not see him now that she's recovered? (I haven't asked her btw, but suspect it will become a tricky decision for her).

Back
Top Bottom