Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

The latest Ford F150 electric is capable of a 4 second 60 run yet can do all the normal pick up truck stuff including using it’s battery to power yer house from for a day. This solution surely satisfies everyone in this thread

The latest Ford F150 electric is capable of a 4 second 60 run yet can do all the normal pick up truck stuff including using it’s battery to power yer house from for a day. This solution surely satisfies everyone in this thread

It's a pick up truck so you can burn some asbestos in the back whilst you cruise the streets. A win by any measure :thumbs:

This is the problem with electric cars. Or one of the problems. The rocket-like acceleration is going to encourage the petrolheads to show off. I wonder how they'll get their loud exhaust fix? Maybe some speakers under the car for a V8 rumble? Could be quite a lucrative market. Or maybe they'll just spin their tyres.

Last edited:
That's a learner's dictionary. It has UK pronunciations for diaper, faucet and sidewalk too because you're either learning one accent or the other.

Chambers gives the same result, as does every other dictionary, odd hill you’ve chosen to die on here, seems teuchter wishes to join you an’all.

Has anyone noticed the American anti-car stickers which have appeared lately?

bsnVYLnm.jpg
QXyhd7Qm.jpg

I'd like to up the ante with some abusive anti-SUV stickers, to be stuck on SUVs. Especially the big ones. On the glass - don't want to be accused of damaging the paintwork. Can anyone think of appropriate words which SUV might stand for? Something rude like Simpleminded Unforgivable Vanity. But much better.

Shippou-Sensei suggested V for Vermin, which is just perfect. (His post has disappeared somehow. :confused:)
I can't think of anything as pithy for S and U though. I'm not very good at this.

Status-mad. Slack-jawed. Shit for brains...

U could be Urban....Something Urban Vermin.

Chambers gives the same result, as does every other dictionary, odd hill you’ve chosen to die on here, seems teuchter wishes to join you an’all.
Chambers (online), the Scrabble dictionary, doesn't give a pronunciation and says it's an Americanism. :confused:

There is clearly no law in any part of the United Kingdom that refers to 'jaywalking', nor is it a crime in the UK under any other name. It has a very clear early 20th century US etymology and is only ever used to refer to US law or by twats.

Chambers (online), the Scrabble dictionary, doesn't give a pronunciation and says it's an Americanism. :confused:

There is clearly no law in any part of the United Kingdom that refers to 'jaywalking', nor is it a crime in the UK under any other name. It has a very clear early 20th century US etymology and is only ever used to refer to US law or by twats.

It is an Americanism and there is no law in the U.K. that uses the word, but you said that it doesn’t exist in the U.K. and yet you have just acknowledged that it does, as an Americanism.

It is an Americanism and there is no law in the U.K. that uses the word, but you said that it doesn’t exist in the U.K. and yet you have just acknowledged that it does, as an Americanism.
pats Bahnhof Strasse on head

Well done

It nevertheless grates when people refer to crossing the road away from or during the wrong phase of a pedestrian crossing in this country as 'jaywalking'. Because it's an Americanism.

What snappy word or phrase do we use in this country to refer to illegal pedestrianing?

"Walking on a road contrary to section 15(1)(b) of the The Motorways Traffic (England and Wales) Regulations 1982, section 17(4) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 or of an applicable part of a relevant Traffic Regulation Order?"

... nor is it a crime in the UK under any other name.
Yes it is. It's an offence to walk across certain roads on the mainland, and there's much wider discretion to the police to issue penalties to pedestrians for crossing the road anywhere it creates a danger in Northern Ireland (see The Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1995).

Motorways certainly though it's not known as jaywalking. Any sub 70mph roads you can name?
Yes, some designated non-motorway special roads pursuant to s.17 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, and some that are subject to Traffic Regulation Orders.

Last edited:
Yes, designated special roads pursuant to s.17 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, and some that are subject to Traffic Regulation Orders.
That's a funny name for a road.

There's a no pedestrian access road sign which I may have seen but can't think of any examples of, maybe on some industrial estates somewhere? I found a report of someone being arrested for walking along a motorway which is reputedly illegal but I can't find any examples of anyone actually being charged with anything. Pretty sure that nobody who objects to similar laws being introduced here is asking for the right to cross motorways on foot.

And I've found a couple of articles that claim that 'jaywalking' is illegal in NI but again no mention of what anyone's been charged with. I'm sure it's not called that on the relevant legislation though.

That's a funny name for a road.

There's a no pedestrian access road sign which I may have seen but can't think of any examples of, maybe on some industrial estates somewhere? I found a report of someone being arrested for walking along a motorway which is reputedly illegal but I can't find any examples of anyone actually being charged with anything. Pretty sure that nobody who objects to similar laws being introduced here is asking for the right to cross motorways on foot.

And I've found a couple of articles that claim that 'jaywalking' is illegal in NI but again no mention of what anyone's been charged with. I'm sure it's not called that on the relevant legislation though.

You keep moving the goal posts. Your original claim was that "[jaywalking is not] a crime in the UK under any other name." That's wrong, it is a crime (albeit the legislation doesn't refer to jaywalking i.e. it is 'under another name') in Northern Ireland, pursuant to s.38 The Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1995 (not "a couple of articles"). Furthermore, it is known as 'jaywalking' there, including by the police, as you'll see from this FOI correspondence.

Attachments

• pedestrians_fixed_penalty_tickets (1).pdf
    50.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
You keep moving the goal posts. Your original claim was that "[jaywalking is not] a crime in the UK under any other name." That's wrong, it is a crime (albeit the legislation doesn't refer to jaywalking i.e. it is 'under another name') in Northern Ireland, pursuant to s.38 The Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1995 (not "a couple of articles"). Furthermore, it is known as 'jaywalking' there, including by the police, as you'll see from this FOI correspondence.
I've decided NI doesn't count at all now. Just so you know.

ETA: and I meant 'articles' as in newspaper articles. I'm not going to read the actual laws.

Pursuant to the original discussion undertaken in the notified thread, it is to be noted that under subsection 3(2)1.aC of the Daft Twat Act 1993.8, clarified in Athos v the world [2006] EWHC 101 a sign restricting access to pedestrians is not functionally and directly to be equivalentified with jaywalking.

Last edited:
Pursuant to the original discussion undertaken in the notified thread, it is to be noted that under subsection 3(2)1.aC of the Daft Twat Act 1993.8, clarified in Athos v the world [2006] EWHC 101 a sign restricting access to pedestrians is not functionally and directly to be equivalentified with jaywalking.

My learned friend will notice that I have not claimed otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom