Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

My silver Vauxhall Corsa is ace, a 1200cc 3 cylinder engine and economical, yet faster [1] than a Porsche 911.

1) Corsa doing 90, 911 doing 85mph

Here are some quite good explanations about why Elon Musk's various 'Loop' schemes are stupid.

At the heart of why they are stupid is that they are things designed by people completely stuck in the 'private car' mindset. They ignore decades of city planning and transport experience, which have told us that we have to use some kind of public transport, and which have shown us what types of public transport actually work.

The first video looks at the scheme where you build loads of road tunnels under LA, which are there to shuttle people's private cars around. Aside from all the technical/logistical issues, it's a great example of people being in denial of the fact that there just isn't space for this, and the fallacy of simply building more road capacity for private vehicles.

The second video is about a scheme that is sort-of public transport, designed by people who don't really like the idea of public transport so have tried to make it look like something else. And it just doesn't work anyway, and again is oblivious to all the existing knowledge about what you need to do to transport people in large numbers. It also gives a useful comparison of the immense parking space that's currently needed for a stadium in LA, compared to the minimal amount required for a larger-capacity stadium in Prague which is connected using bog standard public transport.

My silver Vauxhall Corsa is ace, a 1200cc 3 cylinder engine and economical, yet faster [1] than a Porsche 911.

1) Corsa doing 90, 911 doing 85mph

I don't think my 1.2 Corsa would do 90. Although I've never tried. Once I got it to go 82 but neither me nor the car enjoyed it much.

Article about the Bikestormz community and why it’s more complicated and positive than it first appears:

Was just on a bus from Aldgate to Strand and a bike storm stormed pass and the bus hit a kid who wheelied across its path. He was ok, bike’s ruined though. Demonstrates the inherent dangers of public transport, if I had driven none of this would have happened :(

If you emergency stop at 90mph, you’ll still be going at 70mph at the point that the car that hit the brakes at 70 would already have stopped.
If that's a literal claim I think your maths are a bit off. It's not that far off though.

If you emergency stop at 90mph, you’ll still be going at 70mph at the point that the car that hit the brakes at 70 would already have stopped.

Am struggling to picture a scenario where you, a: would need to perform an emergency stop at 70 or 90mph and b: that doing so would affect the outcome of the incident.

Am struggling to picture a scenario where you, a: would need to perform an emergency stop at 70 or 90mph and b: that doing so would affect the outcome of the incident.

An emergency stop is, by definition, something you only do in unforseen circumstances.

Some time ago on a dark and wet M4 I encountered a stationary Kia Sportage and other cars in the fast lane. I was probably doing about 70 and I had to do an emergency stop. I stopped ok, perhaps a cars length from the Kia. Behind me another car, who might have been distracted, he didn't stop in time and rear ended me, pushing my car forward into the back of the Kia.

eta my car was an insurance write off.

An emergency stop is, by definition, something you only do in unforseen circumstances.

All circumstances can be foreseen, an emergency stop is usually for an unexpected event, but if barrelling along at 70 on a motorway should something happen that requires you to stop immediately you won’t be able to cos of stopping distance.

I recommended a couple of pages back that you do a refresher course. Think you should consider it. It's one thing being an incompetent/dangerous driver, and another failing to do anything about it when advised to by people more knowledgeable than you.

I recommended a couple of pages back that you do a refresher course. Think you should consider it. It's one thing being an incompetent/dangerous driver, and another failing to do anything about it when advised to by people more knowledgeable than you.

I don’t recall you advising anything. But am all ears* as to what would require an emergency stop at 70 that would actually save the situation.

*for the next 5 minutes at any rate.

All circumstances can be foreseen, an emergency stop is usually for an unexpected event, but if barrelling along at 70 on a motorway should something happen that requires you to stop immediately you won’t be able to cos of stopping distance.

Look mate if you want to twist reality into knots to justify the fact you drive like a bellend I can't stop you.

If you are driving at 70 and there are plausible scenarios which could not be saved by an emergency stop, then you shouldn't be driving at 70. In fact this applies at any speed. This is pretty basic. Phone a driving school ASAP and in the meantime give your car keys to a responsible person, if you know any.

If you are driving at 70 and there are plausible scenarios which could not be saved by an emergency stop, then you shouldn't be driving at 70. In fact this applies at any speed. This is pretty basic. Phone a driving school ASAP and in the meantime give your car keys to a responsible person, if you know any.

Plausible scenarios don't enter into it. Drivers are not required to drive at the highest speed at which they can imagine nothing going wrong. If that were the case, we'd have all the stupidest people in the land driving the fastest.

Which granted is exactly what we do have. But at least there's a theoretical limit put in place by people whose imaginations can conceive of something as improbable as some prick in an Audi causing a pile up on the M5.

I was once doing 120mph on the A16. A car pulled out. I tried to stop. I went a long way before I’d slowed enough to feel safe. A car coming the other way swerved out of my way and hit the verge. I think that we all needed clean underwear that day. I’ve never done it again.

This is just one bit of the Highway Code that nearly all drivers think doesn't apply to them:

View attachment 271014
That* is what you should do. However it's not a legal requirement and, independently of that, the typical legal expectation of a reasonable driver is significantly less than that.

*actually "reasonably expect to remain clear" would be better than "see to be clear"

Are you asking me if, for example, there has ever been a multi-vehicle pile-up on the motorway as a result of drivers unexpectedly coming upon a need to rapidly stop and failing to be able to do so?

If that's a literal claim I think your maths are a bit off. It's not that far off though.
It’s close enough to make no difference to the point being made, which is that very high speeds don’t just result in higher stopping distances, they also leave you still travelling enormously quickly if your stopping distance turns out to be insufficient for some reason. Failure to operate within the margins for error become lethal. A single point of failure, a single misjudgement multiples up in a way that you don’t get even at 70mph. There’s a tendency to bracket everything above 70 together. In reality, every extra 10mph adds risk in a frighteningly rapid fashion.

I was once doing 120mph on the A16. A car pulled out. I tried to stop. I went a long way before I’d slowed enough to feel safe. A car coming the other way swerved out of my way and hit the verge. I think that we all needed clean underwear that day. I’ve never done it again.
You needed a lifetime ban is what you needed.

Back
Top Bottom