Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Complete misrepresentation. Hilarious.
Even by your low, miserable standards you’re on form today. Let’s get out the crayons and do this step by step.

1 - cars shouldn’t be on pavements
2 - car drivers know this
3 - they drive on pavements anyway, because fuck everyone else
4 - measures are put in place to stop them
5 - drivers produce salty tears of indignation

Even by your low, miserable standards you’re on form today. Let’s get out the crayons and do this step by step.

1 - cars shouldn’t be on pavements
2 - car drivers know this
3 - they drive on pavements anyway, because fuck everyone else
4 - measures are put in place to stop them
5 - drivers produce salty tears of indignation

Where have I disagreed with any of this? :facepalm:

All I said was the measure put in place to stop them isn't very good. It didn't even stop them did it - it just stopped them driving off the pavement.

Do you think it's better to drive a little on the pavement and then stop, or drive a lot on the pavement and not stop?

Clearly the vehicle had completed at least 50% of its pavement driving prior to being stopped. A full-hight bollard would have reduced that percentage to well below 50, and probably would have stopped it happening in the first place.

I could get on board with the idea of getting rid of all of these types of bollards but we'd need to ban all kinds of vehicles from these streets to achieve this. Pretty radical, some would say extreme.

A bigger bollard would've been better, as they'd have seen it and not driven into the pavement in the first place. But, it takes some lack of self-awareness to publicly complain about the size of a bollard when the primary cause is you driving a car on the pavement!

Last edited:
Thought you meant, imagine if the bollard was a wheelchair, pram or blind person.

And that maybe you had seen the light.

But no.

OK let's run with that. If this low-height bollard was a wheelchair, pram or blind person, they would be dead, presuming the driver hadn't seen them and taken avoiding action.

If a wheelchair, pram or blind person had been standing either side of this low-level bollard in the path of the SUV they would be dead too.

Not great is it?

What if it had been a full-height bollard vehicle-stopping that was easy for even the most oblivious driver to see? What would have happened then? Well, firstly there is high chance this SUV wouldn't have mounted the pavement, and secondly a wheelchair, pram or blind person located beyond the bollard would have survived.

This sounds to me like good argument for replacing this low-down bollard with a taller, more-visible one.

But apparently I'm wrong and there is some sort of argument for why this low-down bell-bollard is a better choice for this location. I know they're meant to deflect the tyres of large vehicles, but it's worth considering what exactly the highways authority were trying to prevent by the installation of this bollard, and who (or what) they were trying to protect.

OK let's run with that. If this low-height bollard was a wheelchair, pram or blind person, they would be dead, presuming the driver hadn't seen them and taken avoiding action.

If a wheelchair, pram or blind person had been standing either side of this low-level bollard in the path of the SUV they would be dead too.

Not great is it?

What if it had been a full-height bollard vehicle-stopping that was easy for even the most oblivious driver to see? What would have happened then? Well, firstly there is high chance this SUV wouldn't have mounted the pavement, and secondly a wheelchair, pram or blind person located beyond the bollard would have survived.

This sounds to me like good argument for replacing this low-down bollard with a taller, more-visible one.

But apparently I'm wrong and there is some sort of argument for why this low-down bell-bollard is a better choice for this location. I know they're meant to deflect the tyres of large vehicles, but it's worth considering what exactly the highways authority were trying to prevent by the installation of this bollard, and who (or what) they were trying to protect.
I don't know enough about bollard design to argue one way or the other, whether a bell type or taller type would be more effective in preventing drivers from killing innocent people on pavements with their murder machines.

Do you?

I don't know enough about bollard design to argue one way or the other, whether a bell type or taller type would be more effective in preventing drivers from killing innocent people on pavements with their murder machines.

Do you?

Is that why this bollard was installed there? That’s news to me because it certainly doesn’t look like it.

HAs install bollards for all sorts of reasons, for example preventing damage to paving, trees and buildings.

Anyway thanks for confirming you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Not great is it?

The problem isn’t the bollard it’s SUVs with shit visability and crap drivers not paying attention.

Is that why this bollard was installed there? That’s news to me because it certainly doesn’t look like it.

HAs install bollards for all sorts of reasons, for example preventing damage to paving, trees and buildings.

Anyway thanks for confirming you don’t know what you’re talking about.
You didn't answer my question - I asked if you knew enough about bollard design to argue that one type of bollard is better than another in this particular location.

It looks like you don't.

I don't, which means that I don't know. It doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, because unlike you I'm not trying to argue either way. Hope that clarifies everything.

You didn't answer my question - I asked if you knew enough about bollard design to argue that one type of bollard is better than another in this particular location.

It looks like you don't.

I don't, which means that I don't know. It doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, because unlike you I'm not trying to argue either way. Hope that clarifies everything.

Of course I know enough about bollard design to argue the points that I have argued, otherwise I wouldn't have argued them. I can back up everything I say with evidence.

I'm not like some people on this thread who just ignore actual facts and logic and start ranting about SUVs, presumably because they've been fed too much anti-car propaganda and have lost the ability to think rationally.

What is your evidence that the benefits of a taller bollard would outweigh the benefits of a bell type bollard in this particular location?

A quick look at the product literature for the Furnitubes Bell Bollards (they are the exclusive manufacturer) will tell you that they're primarily intended to keep lorries from over-running long shallow curves by deflecting the vehicle's tyres. The installation of a single bell bollard on a small pavement protrusion is obviously contrary to its intended use.

A quick look at the product literature for the Furnitubes Bell Bollards (they are the exclusive manufacturer) will tell you that they're primarily intended to keep lorries from over-running long shallow curves by deflecting the vehicle's tyres. The installation of a single bell bollard on a small pavement protrusion is obviously contrary to its intended use.
Are you a qualified highways engineer and does your assessment of the site extend beyond looking at a photo on internet discussion board "urban75"?

Product Notes​

It is highly recommended that the site is assessed by a qualified highways engineer, with placement of individual bollards taking account of vehicular sweeps, to be determined with the aid of vehicular tracking software if neccessary. A pre-construction safety audit may also be advisable in order to assess any issues such as visibility of the proposed Bell bollards, from both a driver and pedestrian points of view.

Are you a qualified highways engineer and does assessment of the site extend beyond looking at a photo on internet discussion board "urban75"?

I do enough planning work to be confident enough to bet you £10 to the server fund that an FOI request to the Highways Authority will reveal that there was no safety audit conducted for this bollard.

I do enough planning work to be confident enough to bet you £10 to the server fund that an FOI request to the Highways Authority will reveal that there was no safety audit conducted for this bollard.
That wasn't my question. Any deficiencies in the design of the installation are irrelevant to the matter of your competency.

Furthermore, your assertion that they are only appropriate for "long shallow curves" appears to be made up.

Are you a qualified highways engineer or aren't you?

Back
Top Bottom