Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Gun control would never stop the massacres in the US. Cars are just as good as weapons. Remember the Nice truck attack? 86 dead. More than any US shooting.

Self-entitled recreational cyclists causing problems again:

Gun control would never stop the massacres in the US. Cars are just as good as weapons. Remember the Nice truck attack? 86 dead. More than any US shooting.
By that logic we would ban pillows to stop people from being suffocated by them

Watching the latest Bond film last night and considering it in the context of its predecessors I noted that although casual sexism and racism are now largely acknowledged as being unacceptable, glamorising aggressive and reckless driving still seems to be fine.

Looking forward to a future where things like car chases (and car use in general) are depicted in a realistic manner which means showing things like pedestrians and others being killed or disabled for life as a result. And portrayed as selfish rather than heroic actions. We will look back in disgust at films from the current era just as we now cringe at (for example) uncritical depictions of misogynistic behaviour in films from only a few decades ago.

Everyone will agree with me on this I'm sure.

Watching the latest Bond film last night and considering it in the context of its predecessors I noted that although casual sexism and racism are now largely acknowledged as being unacceptable, glamorising aggressive and reckless driving still seems to be fine.

Looking forward to a future where things like car chases (and car use in general) are depicted in a realistic manner which means showing things like pedestrians and others being killed or disabled for life as a result. And portrayed as selfish rather than heroic actions. We will look back in disgust at films from the current era just as we now cringe at (for example) uncritical depictions of misogynistic behaviour in films from only a few decades ago.

Everyone will agree with me on this I'm sure.
The thing is, in the context of the narrative the reckless car use was entirely justified (whereas Bond's previous sexism and racism weren't). Had Bond been on a pushbike he'd have been caught and killed, and the plot to commit genocide wouldn't have been disrupted.

Why do you support genocide? :(

The thing is, in the context of the narrative the reckless car use was entirely justified (whereas Bond's previous sexism and racism weren't). Had Bond been on a pushbike he'd have been caught and killed, and the plot to commit genocide wouldn't have been disrupted.

Why do you support genocide? :(
I think you've misunderstood quite a lot. James Bond films aren't a depiction of real life events, but are entirely fictional. This means that the writers and directors can make choices about how they portray certain things. As you say, aggressive and reckless driving is portrayed as necessary to stop genocide, and furthermore it is portrayed as something without much collateral damage aside for some dead "bad" people.

They could have chosen to portray responsible and careful cycling, or walking, as necessary to stop world genocide, but they didn't.

Pretty tasteless to use worldwide genocide as an excuse to justify racing some cars around, don't you think?

I think you've misunderstood quite a lot. James Bond films aren't a depiction of real life events, but are entirely fictional. This means that the writers and directors can make choices about how they portray certain things. As you say, aggressive and reckless driving is portrayed as necessary to stop genocide, and furthermore it is portrayed as something without much collateral damage aside for some dead "bad" people.

They could have chosen to portray responsible and careful cycling, or walking, as necessary to stop world genocide, but they didn't.

Pretty tasteless to use worldwide genocide as an excuse to justify racing some cars around, don't you think?
Whilst you're right that Bond is fictional, the writers no doubt understand that it would stretch the bounds of credibility to suggest that a middle-aged man on a bike would have the wherewithal to prevent an atrocity (other than by eschewing lycra).

Whilst you're right that Bond is fictional, the writers no doubt understand that it would stretch the bounds of credibility to suggest that a middle-aged man on a bike would have the wherewithal to prevent an atrocity (other than by eschewing lycra).
I see that you are stuck in the mindset that not only are dangerously driven cars necessary to prevent atrocities, but so are middle aged men.

Fortunately we can reasonably hope that people like you will not be determining film narratives 30 or 50 years from now, which will instead recognise that 99% of atrocities are carried out by middle aged men who own cars, just like certain posters on this thread.

In fact I predict that this thread itself will one day be made into a film.

I see that you are stuck in the mindset that not only are dangerously driven cars necessary to prevent atrocities, but so are middle aged men.

Fortunately we can reasonably hope that people like you will not be determining film narratives 30 or 50 years from now, which will instead recognise that 99% of atrocities are carried out by middle aged men who own cars, just like certain posters on this thread.

In fact I predict that this thread itself will one day be made into a film.
A poor man's 'Dumb and Dumber', staring you as both the eponymous characters.

Just reading about the horrible parking murders in Taunton. Planners obviously guilty of trying to restrict car ownership through denying parking provision in the absence of alternative transport:

“Residents on the private estate, which was built seven years ago, said disputes over parking are common because of narrow roads and the lack of parking space…‘Generally, everybody has issues with parking around here. These are new built houses which only come with one parking space each. But many people have more than one car because the public transport in this area is not good. There are always issues between neighbours about cars blocking their drives or parked outside their homes. It’s a real nuisance issue on this estate. Overall, it’s a lovely area but people can get quite intense and angry about parking.’”

How about designing new-build estates for how people want to live, not how planners think they ought to be living? If you want households to have only one car, achieve that first before you start designing the place.

Just reading about the horrible parking murders in Taunton. Planners obviously guilty of trying to restrict car ownership through denying parking provision in the absence of alternative transport:

“Residents on the private estate, which was built seven years ago, said disputes over parking are common because of narrow roads and the lack of parking space…‘Generally, everybody has issues with parking around here. These are new built houses which only come with one parking space each. But many people have more than one car because the public transport in this area is not good. There are always issues between neighbours about cars blocking their drives or parked outside their homes. It’s a real nuisance issue on this estate. Overall, it’s a lovely area but people can get quite intense and angry about parking.’”

How about designing new-build estates for how people want to live, not how planners think they ought to be living? If you want households to have only one car, achieve that first before you start designing the place.

Fuck me - your take about some murders is that the planners are at fault! This thread’s finally jumped the shark.

Or maybe people learn that they can’t always park right outside their home and occasionally have to - gasp - walk a bit.

Back
Top Bottom