Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

I don't think that anyone disagrees with this though. It's a question of doing it effectively. Testing people annually wouldn't necessarily do that, for the reasons mentioned, but would add millions of driving hours to the road network, (and the attendant pollution etc). Everyone agrees that standards should be raised and maintained. You just have to come up with a way of doing it that's effective and feasible.
This, plus that there is no reason to suspect that mandating an annual online test on the Highway Code will actually improve anything either. Before I went with an online test as an idea, I’d need to see proper causative evidence showing that (a) injuries and deaths are caused by ignorance of the Highway Code rather than just a will to disobey it; and (b) that an online test would actually mitigate against this source of risk. Because in the meantime, there is plenty of evidence showing that this type of testing is systematically biased against particular segments of society. The cross-section of society that does your job, bees, is not representative of the population of drivers. If you perform online knowledge testing, you will end up discriminating against those segments who are systematically disadvantaged by this style of testing. As such doing it requires more evidence than just thinking it might be a nice idea to try it.

It wouldn't even have to be a test though. It could be as simple as something you sign in to online, with a limited number of items where you watch some kind of informational video and tick a box that says, yes I have watched this video. It would be an annual opportunity to introduce any changes to the Highway code, or emphasise things that have been identified as being commonly misunderstood or ignored.

The worst that could happen is that some people play the video, don't pay any attention to it and tick the boxes. It would still be better than nothing. The idea that there'd be no meaningful benefit as the result of some people finding out some things they didn't know about, things that ignorance of could well have an impact on safety - that just seems implausible to me. I've no problem with someone doing the proper studies to provide the "proper causitive evidence" but instead of faffing around avoiding changing the current rubbish setup, why not just implement something quite simple with a high likelihood of benefit that as far as I can see could not do any harm?

I have some thoughts about why that doesn't happen, and I don't think it's due to lack of proper causitive evidence.

It wouldn't even have to be a test though. It could be as simple as something you sign in to online, with a limited number of items where you watch some kind of informational video and tick a box that says, yes I have watched this video. It would be an annual opportunity to introduce any changes to the Highway code, or emphasise things that have been identified as being commonly misunderstood or ignored.

The worst that could happen is that some people play the video, don't pay any attention to it and tick the boxes. It would still be better than nothing. The idea that there'd be no meaningful benefit as the result of some people finding out some things they didn't know about, things that ignorance of could well have an impact on safety - that just seems implausible to me. I've no problem with someone doing the proper studies to provide the "proper causitive evidence" but instead of faffing around avoiding changing the current rubbish setup, why not just implement something quite simple with a high likelihood of benefit that as far as I can see could not do any harm?

I have some thoughts about why that doesn't happen, and I don't think it's due to lack of proper causitive evidence.
Yeah, nothing much wrong with that in principle. What about those who don’t have a computer and internet connection though?

Yeah, nothing much wrong with that in principle. What about those who don’t have a computer and internet connection though?
I don't think finding a solution for the small number of people that applies to would be insurmountable. Have an option for them to do it at a library. Or driving test centre. Or something.

As reported in the Climate Change thread, Infuriate Britain have gone into full nutjob mode. Join us, or be a 'genocide enabler' :facepalm:

No wonder the majority of the public rightly think they're twats, despite actually agreeing with their aims. It's quite spectacular to manage to turn people who agree with your overall cause against you.

Last edited:
As reported in the Climate Change thread, Infuriate Britain have gone into full nutjob mode. Join us, or be a 'genocide enabler' :facepalm:

No wonder the majority of the public rightly think they're twats, despite actually agreeing with their aims. It's quite spectacular to manage to turn people who agree with your overall cause against you.
Curious why you're posting this in this thread.

It was mainly for edcraw 's benefit, seeing as how anxious they have been to constantly pepper this thread with updates on their activities- to which you did not seem object one bit, one could add.

I would take action on climate change but someone’s compared it to genocide so let the world fucking burn! That’ll show them!

It was mainly for edcraw 's benefit, seeing as how anxious they have been to constantly pepper this thread with updates on their activities- to which you did not seem object one bit, one could add.
No, the thread has been peppered with examples of motorists physically assaulting, including with deadly weapons, those who dare to mount a protest on their precious roads.

These examples were presented as they are relevant to the thread subject.

I don't see how the details of one particular group's aims are really relevant, unless you think it's OK to drive your Range Rover into someone just because you disagree with their viewpoint.

I think your posting above demonstrates your confusion about what the point is here.

Sorry, can’t have your cake and eat it too. If we’re going to tolerate completely irrelevant posts about the sentences handed out for injunction breaches, which have nothing to do with the premise of this thread, then you can hardly complain if the odd equally irrelevant post appears later just because you don’t like it.

Anyways, it’s a bit late for you to take an interest in policing the relevance of posts in this thread in relation to its opening premise. You’d be lucky If even 25% all posts to date remotely qualify as possibly being valid arguments against ownership or private use of motor cars.

Sorry, can’t have your cake and eat it too. If we’re going to tolerate completely irrelevant posts about the sentences handed out for injunction breaches

It was comparing them to the extremely lenient sentences given to drivers killing pedestrians so relevant to this thread.

Insulate Britain was started by XR co-founder Roger Hallam as most of XR seem to think he’s too controversial and wants to go too far with things. Most people wouldn’t agree with their methods or views but to think they’re going to stop people from dealing with or taking seriously the climate emergency is ridiculous. If anything they help to demonstrate how extremely serious the situation is. We’re well past trying to win people’s support, if you haven’t worked it out yet you probably just don’t care.

Millions will die because of climate change but the use of the term genocide is factually wrong as this won’t be from a particular nation or ethnicity. It is also offensive.

No doubt you’re closely following the ongoing trial in Teeside of a pedestrian who stabbed a car driver to death. I look forward to your ludicrous assertions about that verdict.

Does it actually require the app? I don’t know. From the article, it reads like it’s an option to start it from the app and people got caught out because they had come to rely on that option.

No, once a phone is registered to act as a key it doesn't require the app to even be installed, or an internet connection, it works via bluetooth authentication only.

Perhaps the small number of people affected hadn't set up their phones properly.

Be careful guys, as undoubtedly teuchter will be along any minute now to rightly point out that posts 6197 to 6201 have virtually fuck all to do with any kind of anti-car propaganda, and therefore they have no place in this thread.

Any minute now...

Happy World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims everyone!

People don't normally wish others a "happy" day of remembrance, especially if they've given even a single moment of thought to the matter.

Back
Top Bottom