Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

I don’t need or expect to be thanked at zebra crossings by pedestrians- at the end of the day drivers are obligated to stop for them. But I’ve always believed being courteous is a good thing for all concerned, and when I cross as a ped I do raise a hand. I don’t need to thank bus drivers at the end of my journey either for doing the job they are paid to do, but I always do barring those times when the bus is unless rammed and the driver won’t hear you.

It’d be nice if at least the countless pedestrians in London who ignore the Highway Code and cross a busy road with the red man showing because waiting twenty seconds is beyond them would at least have the common decency to wave their hand in acknowledgment to the road traffic they have forced to brake for. But the select few who bother to check for incoming traffic at all invariably look flabbergasted if not actually affronted that the entire road hasn’t stopped to let them through.

That's really out of order....as in...disrespectful of the girl who died.
Actually edcraw , yes, unless it’s actually relevant to the conversation at hand it’s disrespectful, crass and out of order. Made worse by the fact that often as not when you post shit like this, you insinuate those you’re disagreeing with at the time are de facto making fun of it.

So until such time until someone actually makes light of relevant or related pedestrian or cyclist fatalities, how about you give your habit of posting links to individual fatal accidents whenever you’re bored/ feeling mischievous/ losing an argument a bit of a fucking rest, eh?

images

Actually edcraw , yes, unless it’s actually relevant to the conversation at hand it’s disrespectful, crass and out of order. Made worse by the fact that often as not when you post shit like this, you insinuate those you’re disagreeing with at the time are de facto making fun of it.

So until such time until someone actually makes light of relevant or related pedestrian or cyclist fatalities, how about you give your habit of posting links to individual fatal accidents whenever you’re bored/ feeling mischievous/ losing an argument a bit of a fucking rest, eh?
Ignore the cunt. He tried trolling me by PM today, but he's as significant as the dog shit I stood in last week.

That's really out of order....as in...disrespectful of the girl who died.

I don’t agree. It’s relevant as we as a society seem to just accept these constant road deaths as the price we’re willing to pay for a car centred society and you guys are saying people need to thank drivers for doing the bare minimum of not killing them!

You’re the guys constantly joking about this subject. If you want to have a discussion fine but if you’re going to just troll I’ll keep raising things that make you uncomfortable. You can’t suddenly get on you moral high horse.

I don’t agree. It’s relevant as we as a society seem to just accept these constant road deaths as the price we’re willing to pay for a car centred society and you guys are saying people need to thank drivers for doing the bare minimum of not killing them! You’re the guys constantly joking about this subject. If you want to have a discussion fine but if you’re going to just troll I’ll keep raising things that make you uncomfortable. You can’t suddenly get on you moral high horse.

You're a monumental idiot

I don’t agree. It’s relevant as we as a society seem to just accept these constant road deaths as the price we’re willing to pay for a car centred society and you guys are saying people need to thank drivers for doing the bare minimum of not killing them!

You’re the guys constantly joking about this subject. If you want to have a discussion fine but if you’re going to just troll I’ll keep raising things that make you uncomfortable. You can’t suddenly get on you moral high horse.
dumb-dog-pictures-u2.jpeg

Do you thank all the pedestrians giving way to you when you have the green light at pedestrian crossings?

No, because they're not giving way to me but deciding to heed the warning given by the the red pedestrian figure that, in the interests of safety, they should not cross the carriageway. I wouldn't thank them any more than I'd thank another pedestrian for not tripping me up when I'm walking along a pavement.

Not only do you not know how to use a zebra crossing, you also seem to have no clue as to how pelican crossings work. I suggest you read this book or some similar ones before you set foot outside again by yourself:

Why should pedestrians thank drivers for doing something they have to do? I can see it as a courtesy sometimes (just about), but telling kids to do it, as the original picture shows, is sending out a poor message.

Are there any times a driver might thank a pedestrian?

Why should pedestrians thank drivers for doing something they have to do? I can see it as a courtesy sometimes (just about), but telling kids to do it, as the original picture shows, is sending out a poor message.

Because according precedence to someone is quite different from blindly obeying a traffic signal, and requires a degree of human interaction. Why is it a poor message to children to encourage them to be polite?

Are there any times a driver might thank a pedestrian?

I thank pedestrians when I'm turning into a side road, when I'm prepared to give way to people about to cross the side road, but they stop on the pavement and insist on giving way to me.

It's really not rocket science. Imagine you're both pedestrians in a narrow corridor or something. You nod a thanks to someone who steps aside to let you pass or holds a door open for you. Just because someone is in a car, or you're on a bike, doesn't mean you should blank them.

Because according precedence to someone is quite different from blindly obeying a traffic signal, and requires a degree of human interaction. Why is it a poor message to children to encourage them to be polite?

But they’re not according precedence, they’re doing what they have to do. I think it’s poor messaging as it makes the driver think they’ve done something worthy of being thanked for and the pedestrian think the driver’s done something they should be grateful for.

But they’re not according precedence, they’re doing what they have to do.

Like teuchter, it appears you have no idea about how zebra crossings work. If you’re going to engage in these debates, I suggest you read The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 as well as The Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Pedestrian Crossings Regulations and General Directions 1997 for starters. Or perhaps you might be better off beginning with that children’s book I recommended to teuchter.

No need to be rude. Here’s the rule.

52D3D93B-5D54-4598-A67E-A46865DE28C7.jpeg

Thanking a driver that stops before you’ve started crossing makes sense but not one that stops when you’ve already started crossing. There is a real issue that pedestrians need to be brave enough to make that initial step onto the crossing and confident enough that the traffic will stop.

But they’re not according precedence, they’re doing what they have to do. I think it’s poor messaging as it makes the driver think they’ve done something worthy of being thanked for and the pedestrian think the driver’s done something they should be grateful for.

They literally are:

Precedence of pedestrians over vehicles at Zebra crossings
25.—(1) Every pedestrian, if he is on the carriageway within the limits of a Zebra crossing, which is not for the time being controlled by a constable in uniform or traffic warden, before any part of a vehicle has entered those limits, shall have precedence within those limits over that vehicle and the driver of the vehicle shall accord such precedence to any such pedestrian.

The law says a driver shall accord (i.e. give or grant) the pedestrian precedence (i.e. the right to precede the driver).

In any other situation, if one person grants another the right to go first, a simple thank you is warranted.

They literally are:

Precedence of pedestrians over vehicles at Zebra crossings
25.—(1) Every pedestrian, if he is on the carriageway within the limits of a Zebra crossing, which is not for the time being controlled by a constable in uniform or traffic warden, before any part of a vehicle has entered those limits, shall have precedence within those limits over that vehicle and the driver of the vehicle shall accord such precedence to any such pedestrian.

The law says a driver shall accord (i.e. give or grant) the pedestrian precedence (i.e. the right to precede the driver).

In any other situation, if one person grants another the right to go first, a simple thank you is warranted.

Shall not should. They’re not granting a right.

Shall not should. They’re not granting a right.

They literally are. Think about the difference between a pelican and a zebra. Being required to stop vs being required to let someone go first. One requires an interaction with a traffic light, the other with a human.

They literally are. Think about the difference between a pelican and a zebra. Being required to stop vs being required to let someone go first. One requires an interaction with a traffic light, the other with a human.

They are required to stop though. That’s the point.

This is a niche thing but shows the power imbalance between cars and others that people think we should be thanking drivers for doing something they have to do. Cars should be treated as guests in urban environments not pedestrians.

They are required to stop though. That’s the point.

This is a niche thing but shows the power imbalance between cars and others that people think we should be thanking drivers for doing something they have to do. Cars should be treated as guests in urban environments not pedestrians.

Treating cars as sentient and othering the drivers inside as non-human leads to the sort of conflict on the road that you supposedly are so keen to see an end of.

Treating cars as sentient and othering the drivers inside as non-human leads to the sort of conflict on the road that you supposedly are so keen to see an end of.

I’m not sure that was what I was doing. Car drivers should be very welcome in cities, just without their cars. Likewise there’s no power imbalance between drivers and others if the car isn’t there.

Looking forward to you calling out the constant othering of cyclists in this thread going forward though.

No, because they're not giving way to me but deciding to heed the warning given by the the red pedestrian figure that, in the interests of safety, they should not cross the carriageway. I wouldn't thank them any more than I'd thank another pedestrian for not tripping me up when I'm walking along a pavement.
This is the reply that I predicted and intended you to give.

It demonstrates the imbalance in power, where pedestrians are supposed to be grateful for car drivers not killing them, while car drivers don't need to thank pedestrians, because the pedestrians are forced to give way by the power imbalance. Of course there is the theoretical risk of legal prosecution for the motorist, but we know that the law seldom actually acts in defence of the pedestrian and most motorists do not consider the law to apply to them.

So in practical terms, for all you want to waffle on about legislation, all that is going on in practical terms is an encounter between two individuals, only one of whom has the power to kill the other. And that's the real reason you don't ever thank a pedestrian for letting you go first.

This is exactly analogous to a situation in a prison camp where you are a psychopathic prison guard and the prisoner is a principled individual who has been arrested by an oppressive state for trying to protect the rights of sick children and other vulnerable groups.

The prison guard wants the prisoner to thank them for their daily gruel and whines about being "othered" if sufficient deference is not displayed. Well, some prisoners decide they are not going to lower themselves to this, even if it comes at cost to them.

And this is exactly what is going on at a zebra crossing, with you angrily revving your engine and muttering that I should be meekly bowing like in those japanese videos.

This is the reply that I predicted and intended you to give.

It demonstrates the imbalance in power, where pedestrians are supposed to be grateful for car drivers not killing them, while car drivers don't need to thank pedestrians, because the pedestrians are forced to give way by the power imbalance. Of course there is the theoretical risk of legal prosecution for the motorist, but we know that the law seldom actually acts in defence of the pedestrian and most motorists do not consider the law to apply to them.

So in practical terms, for all you want to waffle on about legislation, all that is going on in practical terms is an encounter between two individuals, only one of whom has the power to kill the other. And that's the real reason you don't ever thank a pedestrian for letting you go first.

This is exactly analogous to a situation in a prison camp where you are a psychopathic prison guard and the prisoner is a principled individual who has been arrested by an oppressive state for trying to protect the rights of sick children and other vulnerable groups.

The prison guard wants the prisoner to thank them for their daily gruel and whines about being "othered" if sufficient deference is not displayed. Well, some prisoners decide they are not going to lower themselves to this, even if it comes at cost to them.

And this is exactly what is going on at a zebra crossing, with you angrily revving your engine and muttering that I should be meekly bowing like in those japanese videos.

I thought you'd come up with some diversion from your total ignorance of the most basic principles of pedestrian crossings. How can you possibly hope to have any influence on transport policy if in response to being corrected about a fundamental aspect of crossing roads you start blibbering on about psychopathic prisons guards?

And that's the real reason you don't ever thank a pedestrian for letting you go first.

I've already told your fellow ignoramus edcraw that when I'm driving I frequently thank pedestrians. Presumably as you find this concept so alien, we must assume that you yourself never do likewise when zooming about the city in a motorcar.

I've already told your fellow ignoramus edcraw that when I'm driving I frequently thank pedestrians.

You’re quick with the name calling, not sure what I’m ignorant of though.

You mentioned you thank pedestrians when they give up their right of way crossing a side street to let you go first. Do you wonder why they do that? Quite often it’s probably because they’re unsure if your going to stop and don’t want to take the chance. That’s why making these zebras as well would be a great step to reassure pedestrians of their right of way. Also, the default green men pelican crossings that angered people on here to shift the balance of power of pedestrians constantly giving priority to cars.

These shouldn’t be radical things but constantly face opposition.

Back
Top Bottom