Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

I'd be happy for such zones to expand to cover all the shopping streets and central tourist attractions, no problem. However they won't ever expand to cover residential neighborhoods
They don't need to. You just make it expensive/miserable/impossible to get a car into the centres where all the good things are.

You've not been paying attention to what's happening in London, then.

London is an exception. I've never driven into the centre of it because there's too much traffic to make it worthwhile. However if the various emission and congestion zones keep ramping up I'll soon start doing so.

You're not been paying attention then. Cites around the world are removing parking as they realise the benefits it brings.

No they aren't. They might be removing on-street parking in the very centre, but they're not removing parking on the perimeters of pedestrianized zones. Certainly not in this country where cash-strapped city councils receive a large proportion of their income from car parks.

No they aren't. They might be removing on-street parking in the very centre, but they're not removing parking on the perimeters of pedestrianized zones. Certainly not in this country where cash-strapped city councils receive a large proportion of their income from car parks.
Oh look, you're wrong.

There's another one going soon too.

London is an exception. I've never driven into the centre of it because there's too much traffic to make it worthwhile. However if the various emission and congestion zones keep ramping up I'll soon start doing so.
Unfortunately for you, London's stated policy is not to reduce congestion for private motorists. Its policy is to either reduce road capacity, or re-allocate it to public transport and active travel. This exactly what is happening with LTNs, expansion of bike lanes and changes to bus lanes.

When other cities in the UK see that this works, they'll do the same. Some of them have already started on this path. Glasgow pedestrianising its centre is an early step on it. It's the thin end of the wedge that we know you are genuinely terrified of (you think it will end up with a totalitarian state).

Oh look, you're wrong.

There's another one going soon too.

No I'm prefectly right because this car park is not on the edge of a pedestrianised zone. In any case it's not the number of city centre car parks you should focus on, but the ratio of unoccupied parking spaces to the number of people who want to drive into the city.

As long as there are spaces in nearby car parks, drivers won't be affected, and the demolition is simply a symptom of the declining appeal of Birmingham city centre as a retail and leisure destination.

Unfortunately for you, London's stated policy is not to reduce congestion for private motorists. Its policy is to either reduce road capacity, or re-allocate it to public transport and active travel. This exactly what is happening with LTNs, expansion of bike lanes and changes to bus lanes.
It must be great, knowing that people are working so hard to remove cars from the streets, in the knife crime capital of the world. :)

When other cities in the UK see that this works, they'll do the same. Some of them have already started on this path. Glasgow pedestrianising its centre is an early step on it. It's the thin end of the wedge that we know you are genuinely terrified of (you think it will end up with a totalitarian state).

Bus lanes, bike lanes and low-traffic neighborhoods have been around for decades, London is well behind in that regard. None of them have ever stopped me driving into city centres, their main function is to mollify the anti-car lobby and forestall any genuinely regressive measures.

No I'm prefectly right because this car park is not on the edge of a pedestrianised zone.
Literally the entirety of B'ham centre is about to become a giant LTN. Huge swathes of it are already pedestrianised, there are plans for more. Parking is being reduced or got rid of everywhere, tram extensions are being built*, more protected bike lanes are going in etc etc

You're a dinosaur, and your mode of transport is on its way out. Shame you can't see it.

*Shame the bloody things keep getting shut down to to being built like shite mind :facepalm:

Literally the entirety of B'ham centre is about to become a giant LTN. Huge swathes of it are already pedestrianised, there are plans for more. Parking is being reduced or got rid of everywhere, tram extensions are being built*, more protected bike lanes are going in etc etc

You're a dinosaur, and your mode of transport is on its way out. Shame you can't see it.

*Shame the bloody things keep getting shut down to to being built like shite mind :facepalm:

You seem to think some sort of fundamental change is in the air, but all these measures will do is move a bit of parking around in big cities.

If cars really are banned from everywhere within walking distance of the centre, then in the unlikely event I have to visit Birimgham ever again I'll simply drive there and park at a tram stop.

Anyone trying to apply this supposed paradigm shift to most of the towns and cities in the UK will be laughed out of town e.g. Ely where free city-centre parking is currently offered to attract visitors, and there simply aren't the numbers to sustain a tram and cycle-lane system to bring people in from the surrounding county.

Last edited:
All in favour of pedestrianisng the centres of big cities, the deepest I have ever driven into London is Heathrow Airport. If I go London, I will drive to Luton Parkway and get the train from there. I won't drive into central Birmingham these days either.
In the past few years, I have been to Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, Sheffield and York and parked at the Park & Ride. Even Nottingham which is my nearest major city I drive to Toton Lane and catch the tram. (Son Q who works in the middle of Nottingham does that every day if he goes in). The only major city I have driven in recently is Southampton when we went to see Pollyanna's parents in August because we were staying a few days and public transport wasn't practical for that.
As I've mentioned I don't mind that some of the not inconsiderable amount of money that I turn over to HMRC on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis gets spent on such good things as public transport for other people.
But I can't see the centre of True Blue Yokeltown (pop 7000ish) where I live being pedestrianised anytime soon nor public transport ever getting to the point at which any of the death machines parked outside will ever be got rid of.

Last edited:
If cars really are banned from everywhere within walking distance of the centre, then in the unlikely event I have to visit Birimgham ever again I'll simply drive there and park at a tram stop.
Never mind the tram, you could just drive yourself to the very centre of Birmingham in one of the car clubs actually sponsored by Birmingham City Council. Or take an Uber. But then again if this thread has taught me anything is that only privately owned cars cause congestion, pollution, or qualify as death machines. The hundreds or even thousands of exempt private cars owned by residents of every single LTN zone are also harmless and magically exempt from the normal laws of physics.

Also, as MickiQ and indeed most of us who have somehow been branded incorregible petrolheads have repeatedly stated, plenty if not most of us evil death machine worshippers actually are as supportive of most schemes to fully pedestrianise historical city centres as the most anti car fanatic. I suspect it must be quite grating to those posting such stories in this forum expecting to get a rise of some posters to see them being supportive of it.

But then again if this thread has taught me anything is that only privately owned cars cause congestion, pollution, or qualify as death machines. The hundreds or even thousands of exempt private cars owned by residents of every single LTN zone are also harmless and magically exempt from the normal laws of physics.

You're furiously determined to get someone to confirm that they hold the above nonsense position. You keep on repeating it. Over and over. You maniac.

Also, as MickiQ and indeed most of us who have somehow been branded incorregible petrolheads have repeatedly stated, plenty if not most of us evil death machine worshippers actually are as supportive of most schemes to fully pedestrianise historical city centres as the most anti car fanatic. I suspect it must be quite grating to those posting such stories in this forum expecting to get a rise of some posters to see them being supportive of it.

Indeed. The vast majority of people who drive, cycle and pedestrianate are in favour of reasonable adjustments to the balance between various modes of transport, especially in cities where opportunities to improve public transport are plentiful.

The extremist totalitarian car abolitionists on here are a tiny minority, and should be viewed as broadly equivalent to Richard Littlejohn ranting in the Daily Mail.

You're furiously determined to get someone to confirm that they hold the above nonsense position. You keep on repeating it. Over and over. You maniac.
I really can’t be arsed to trawl through thousands of posts to prove this, but you yourself have on numerous occasions over time supported both getting rid of all cars in cities or indeed everywhere, or actively cheering on people ditching their cars and switching to car clubs, and happily continue driving those. Depending on the thread or discussion at the time, of course. Never mind openly admitting to having driven and or/been driven in them evil death whenever you saw it fit to.

You know you have as well as everyone else. Do you actually deny this?

ETA: you’re by no means alone in doing that among the anti car crowd in here, of course.

Basic courtesy isn’t it? When driving I always thank other road users who have given way to oncoming traffic. Just because someone ought to yield to you, doesn’t mean you should charge past snootily with your nose in the air.
Do you thank all the pedestrians giving way to you when you have the green light at pedestrian crossings?

Back
Top Bottom