Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Yes, so legalise them with regulation.
Ah, now we’re getting somewhere. Your refusal to answer my previous questions had me thinking you’d realised you’d fucked right up!

So you do think that regulations (laws) are necessary in the case of e-scooters. Can we agree this?

Perfect! Probably something like e-bikes and a limit of 15mph then.
A theory test, riding test and mandatory insurance are a must, and strict enforcement of laws, especially the law regarding riding on pavements.
I'd say a 12mph limit should be the absolute maximum, as it is in France, but novice riders should be restricted to 6mph for their first six months. The speed limit should be on a trial basis, and if scooterists prove they're incapable of riding safely, the limit should be lowered to 6mph.

A theory test, riding test and mandatory insurance are a must, and strict enforcement of laws, especially the law regarding riding on pavements.
I'd say a 12mph limit should be the absolute maximum, as it is in France, but novice riders should be restricted to 6mph for their first six months. The speed limit should be on a trial basis, and if scooterists prove they're incapable of riding safely, the limit should be lowered to 6mph.

I bet you want cyclists to wear number plates as well 🤪

Rebuttal to what. They aren’t much different to e-bikes so the rules should be pretty much the same.
They're nothing like e-bikes. They're more closely related to mopeds. E-bikes are pedal assist. You have to pedal or they stop moving. E-scooters are twist and go, like mopeds. They also have tiny wheels, which makes them inherently dangerous.
They should be treated the same as mopeds, but with a lower speed limit.

They're nothing like e-bikes. They're more closely related to mopeds. E-bikes are pedal assist. You have to pedal or they stop moving. E-scooters are twist and go, like mopeds. They also have tiny wheels, which makes them inherently dangerous.
They should be treated the same as mopeds, but with a lower speed limit.

I don’t think this is all correct - I’m pretty sure you can free wheel on an electric bike for example.

Ed’s got an e-scooter, hasn’t he? :D

He’s been feeling all grown-up since he swapped his skateboard for it.

Ed’s got an e-scooter, hasn’t he? :D

He’s been feeling all grown-up since he swapped his skateboard for it.
I'm thinking maybe he has a Big Wheel, and is thinking of upgrading.

51Q6vv26a3L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Why a lower speed limit?
While fleet managers and corporate safety officers decide whether to include e-scooters in company Mobility as a Service programmes, the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety (PACTS), which advises MPs and members of the House of Lords in the UK parliament on air, rail and road safety issues, has described e-scooters as having features which are ‘inherently unsafe’.

Safety concerns

In a report submitted to the UK’s Department for Transport, PACTS raises the following concerns:

• The small wheels of e-scooters are incapable of safely negotiating the ruts, potholes and uneven surfaces of many urban streets.
  • E-scooters have neither mirrors nor indicators, which make it very difficult for riders to see vehicles approaching from behind or to signal their intentions to drivers. With the throttle on the handlebar, riders cannot lift off a hand to signal a turn in the way that a bicycle rider can.
  • The standing position of an e-scooter is unstable, putting riders in danger of being thrown forward more quickly and with more force than a cyclist. This leads to much higher rates of head injury – eight times higher than a cyclist according to the Danish Transport Authority.
  • The lights on e-scooters, if there are any, are at a very low level, which makes them much less visible than a bicycle.
If you need any more blindingly obvious answers, let me know.

No legal requirement for this it's just how most are manufactured.

Fuck me, do you not even read your own links! Or are you just a bit thick? :facepalm:
I'll highlight the important bits, for the hard of thinking.

You can ride an electric bike if you’re 14 or over, as long as it meets certain requirements.

These electric bikes are known as ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs). You do not need a licence to ride one and it does not need to be registered, taxed or insured.

Other kinds of electric bike

Any electric bike that does not meet the EAPC rules is classed as a motorcycle or moped and needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

Getting vehicle approval for your electric bike​

An electric bike must be type approved if either:

• it can be propelled without pedalling (a ‘twist and go’ EAPC)
  • it does not meet the EAPC rules

Fuck me, you're a useless windbag, edcraw. The first time you've tried to discuss anything approaching worthwhile on this thread and you immediately disappear up your own rectum.

Last edited:
An e assist bike, known as an ebike won’t go unless you pedal it. If you stop pedalling then bike stops (unless freewheeling downhill).

The ones you see Deliveroo riders using are electric mopeds and are all being ridden illegally, as are all electric scooters you see except the hire jobbies.

An e assist bike, known as an ebike won’t go unless you pedal it. If you stop pedalling then bike stops (unless freewheeling downhill).

The ones you see Deliveroo riders using are electric mopeds and are all being ridden illegally, as are all electric scooters you see except the hire jobbies.
I thought as much. And I have seen a few going at a speed that judging by my own at the time, was certainly above 20 mph. More like 25 on a couple of occasions, in fact.

At this juncture I’d be interested to hear the thoughts of the anti car crowd ITT regarding whether the users of such ‘bicycles’ should be forced to be licenced, insured, have appropriate lights, and undertake a minimum level of compulsory training (1-day CBT), like anyone riding a 30 mph limited 50 cc moped has to.

Back
Top Bottom