Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Isn't this thread supposed to be about 'anti car propaganda'?

It's been essentially handful of middle-aged men trolling each other for ages (and was intended to be that). The subject probably needs a new thread in climate change, after all there is interesting discussion to be had (e.g in the petrol panic buying thread), it's just not going to happen here. But it serves some utility by keeping all the shit stirring off other threads. It got extra shitty over the last week or so though.

Hope everyone's got over yesterday's excitement and had their cold showers and so on.

Here's another motorist assaulting a cyclist for commenting on their parking.

As far as I can determine the driver committed no offence by parking there. The cyclist admitted they fell off due to being one of those idiotic people who bolt their feet to the pedals.

As far as I can determine the driver committed no offence by parking there.
erm...

Rule 140​

Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.

erm...

Rule 140​

Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.
yes but victim blaming is a lot more fun.

erm...

Rule 140​

That's irrelevant without an appropriate Traffic Regulation Order in place.

This is a new cycle lane rushed through, possibly unlawfully, under the COVID-19 Spaces for People scheme. I suggest you carefully read the relevant Temporary Traffic Regulation Order before commenting further.

This is a new cycle lane rushed through, possibly unlawfully, under the COVID-19 Spaces for People scheme. I suggest you carefully read the relevant Temporary Traffic Regulation Order before commenting further.
man - some people just really like to defend terrible drivers. I guess the driver had already carefully read the relevant order before deciding to park there.

man - some people just really like to defend terrible drivers. I guess the driver had already carefully read the relevant order before deciding to park there.

Undoubtedly. She is a local resident and will certainly have kept abreast of the considerable public controversy associated with this scheme. LibDem Councillors were involved, there was a petition, etc etc.

btw I suggest you aquaint yourself with the legal status of this lane (and the lawful exemptions for motor vehicles entering it) before labeling her as a terrible driver - she may decide to sue for libel.

Surely still an offence to park on double yellows?

like going home to get your mobile

She doesn't have to truthfully account for her lawful actions to the succession of irate cyclists who accost her.

Notice how all the images of her vehicle are from behind, so you can't see any disabled badge that might be present.

btw I suggest you aquaint yourself with the legal status of this lane (and the lawful exemptions for motor vehicles entering it) before labeling her as a terrible driver - she may decide to sue for libel.

think I’m on safe ground calling her an awful person though

As predicted, the focus is on legal loopholes which may or may not have meant that it would not be possible to prosecute the driver, rather than the fact that the driver physically assaulted someone.

Shouldn’t all this shit be posted in the Driving Standards thread? Every single one of these type of incidents posted ITT are as much of an argument for banning cars as a drunken twat headbutting someone in a pub being justification for banning 50 million adults in the UK from drinking alcohol. But I guess it gives the car prohibitionists something to wank over at night…

As predicted, the focus is on legal loopholes which may or may not have meant that it would not be possible to prosecute the driver, rather than the fact that the driver physically assaulted someone.

It's clear from the tweets that the driver grabbed the cyclist to try and stop her falling over when she stopped but was unable to take her feet off the pedals. The kind driver even offered the inept cyclist a cup of tea, so there’s no need for you to act as if some sort of violent assault took place, unless of course you’re trying to engineer an argument.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t all this shit be posted in the Driving Standards thread? Every single one of these type of incidents posted ITT are as much of an argument for banning cars as a drunken twat headbutting someone in a pub being justification for banning 50 million adults in the UK from drinking alcohol. But I guess it gives the car prohibitionists something to wank over at night…
Feel free to put it in the driving standards thread too. Arguably the entire driving standards thread (which I've never read but presumably contains lots of examples why people shouldn't be put in charge of vehicles any more than necessary) should be contained within this thread.

Dunno why you keep going on about cars being banned. If you want only to talk about "banning cars" why not start a "banning cars" thread. This is the unashamed anti-car propaganda thread.

Feel free to put it in the driving standards thread too. Arguably the entire driving standards thread (which I've never read but presumably contains lots of examples why people shouldn't be put in charge of vehicles any more than necessary) should be contained within this thread.

Dunno why you keep going on about cars being banned. If you want only to talk about "banning cars" why not start a "banning cars" thread. This is the unashamed anti-car propaganda thread.
I see you’ve conceded defeat on this argument. Then again, as someone who (I believe) drinks alcohol, I can see how embarrassing it must be to tirelessly campaign against motor vehicles based on the laughably feeble case of individual instances of misbehaviour, when your particular lifestyle choice results in far more cases of antisocial, criminal and reckless behaviour than all car users could ever muster.

There should be some kind of special award for "poster who consistently comes up with the most stupid analogies".
There is, to be presented right before the ‘Urban hypocrite of the year award’, which I believe you have won for ten years running and are the bookies favourite for this year’s gong too. Though credit where it’s due, you have beaten strong challenges this year from fellow anti car enthusiasts around here.

Do you have any evidence the cyclist was assaulted, or is this just another teuchterism?

Surely still an offence to park on double yellows?

Not if she was loading/unloading or has a blue badge - there has to be yellow markings on the kerb to rule out all stopping.

Not that I am defending her, she sounds like an entitled twat TBH.

Actually blue badge holders aren't supposed to park in a cycle lane.

Of course, in this case it was probably all fine because of some obscure loophole relating to a local implementation that means there's no obligation to abide by the spirit of the highway code or the law. And if someone challenges you on that, you'd be within your rights to assault them.

Back
Top Bottom