Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Imagine coming up with the idea of privately owned cars now.

“Got a great idea for getting us all about. You can go anywhere you want, anytime. Freedom! No drawbacks at all. Apart from you’ll need to pay a huge amount of money for it. And then constantly more money to run it. Oh, and it will sit unused for most of the time. Ah, also we’re going to need to give up most of the public space in our cities for it. Plus there’s the tiny issue of the poisonous fumes that come out the back. Which are generated from burning oil. Oh, nearly forgot, they’ll kill over a million people every year”

You’d be laughed out the room.
What an absolute load of nonsense. As if people consider the negative aspects of everything they or others do. If that were the case cigarettes and alcohol would have been banned decades ago and Class A narcs wouldn't exist. All things which kill and maim exponentially more people than private motoring but are engaged in with gusto by your average U75 cycle wally.

Not long before you lot are in the minority too though. I can smell the fear in the tone of the posts from the petrolhead clique. Kidding themselves it's all a bit of a laugh. Thread's already at 13 pages - panic is setting in.
That's because for the last 10 it's mainly been you lot polishing each others helmets!

Working for a living isn't nearly as appealing as burgling some houses and then spending the day gouching out on some strong fucking drugs. For some reason society has decided that I'm not allowed to live like that though.

A van is useful for a burglar. Not sure what TfL’s rules are on carrying swag on buses...

Not long before you lot are in the minority too though. I can smell the fear in the tone of the posts from the petrolhead clique. Kidding themselves it's all a bit of a laugh. Thread's already at 13 pages - panic is setting in.

I'm not a petrolhead; I don't like cars per se, but appreciate their utility. And I'd love to see public transport improved to the extent that people choose not to use cars (I'd be one of them). But, currently, 80-odd% of people in the UK have household access to a car; for many of them it's essential, and for almost all it massively enhances their quality of life. And let's not forget that, of the remainder, many still benefit from the use of a car e.g. cadging lifts etc., and many more would have a car if they could afford one. The Idea that we're anywhere near a public or political will to do away with private car ownership is crackpot stuff. And, frankly, there's other things we could do to reduce emissions that'd provide more gain for less pain e.g. banning diesel, moving to green energy including household production, better insulation, tree planting.

It's funny how people who usually drive everywhere are actually enjoying walking since lockdown. It's almost as if it's an enjoyable activity. But don't let that put you off calling people Hitler for suggesting cities might be much improved with less cars.

When your not allowed to go anywhere, it's easier to get there on foot!

But, being serious, of course it'd be good if people walked more, and of course a city with no cars and good public transport is the ideal. But banning private car ownership (which is what's proposed in this thread) wouldn't work outside those urban areas, or even for many within them. Which is why there's almost no political or social will to make it happen (outside a crackpot lycra-clad fringe).

And look - It still has cars. But...

Also - not one helmet, no lycra, no special clothing. Just a normal, practical way to get a round a city that's been designed around the needs of people.
How on earth are no helmets a good thing? You can still come off a bike even with no cars on the road.

I'm not a petrolhead; I don't like cars per se, but appreciate their utility. And I'd love to see public transport improved to the extent that people choose not to use cars (I'd be one of them). But, currently, 80-odd% of people in the UK have household access to a car; for many of them it's essential, and for almost all it massively enhances their quality of life. And let's not forget that, of the remainder, many still benefit from the use of a car e.g. cadging lifts etc., and many more would have a car if they could afford one. The Idea that we're anywhere near a public or political will to do away with private car ownership is crackpot stuff. And, frankly, there's other things we could do to reduce emissions that'd provide more gain for less pain e.g. banning diesel, moving to green energy including household production, better insulation, tree planting.

'For almost all it massively enhances their quality of life' is a huge assumption, and is only relevant if there isn't an alternative. It's a financial burden. It's a pain in the arse in many ways. As it happens I think we're still some way from the technology needed to completely get rid of cars as they are now - that would require a kind of EV self-drive grid transit system. But there are interim things you can as you move toward that goal... Change models of car ownership. Encourage WFH (or local shared office space). And yeah, encourage cycling, improve public transport.

When your not allowed to go anywhere, it's easier to get there on foot!

But, being serious, of course it'd be good if people walked more, and of course a city with no cars and good public transport is the ideal. But banning private car ownership (which is what's proposed in this thread) wouldn't work outside those urban areas, or even for many within them. Which is why there's almost no political or social will to make it happen (outside a crackpot lycra-clad fringe).
An out and out ban isn't feasible or desirable I agree. But a scaling down of car use and creating car free parts of cities is. Perhaps a nice start would be creating car free routes to schools for those who are able to walk or cycle. When I lived in Holland as a kid it was a joy to have car free routes to cycle, walk or sled to school. Safer, cleaner and healthier.

An out and out ban isn't feasible or desirable I agree. But a scaling down of car use and creating car free parts of cities is. Perhaps a nice start would be creating car free routes to schools for those who are able to walk or cycle. When I lived in Holland as a kid it was a joy to have car free routes to cycle, walk or sled to school. Safer, cleaner and healthier.

The problem with saying that areas are car free except for disabled people, which is what a lot of people say, is that it's not actually physically possible - the area ends up being arranged in such a way that driving a car is extremely slow and dangerous.

I know this is what some people want, of course, it being extremely inconvenient to drive, and to them it really doesn't matter if the inconvenience affects everyone, not just wasteful bastards.

Ghent is the same as other Dutch and Belgian cities - fantastic for cyclists, absolutely fucking shit for people in wheelchairs.

I don't know why they decided to just completely fuck over people with mobility problems when changing to priority for cycles, but they did.

But everyone holds those cities up as examples to follow.

Majorly improving public transport is the main change to make. There's not much point talking about banning cars or even massively discouraging them until there's a viable alternative on offer. The cost of driving lessons, fuel, etc is already a pretty major disincentive.

Majorly improving public transport is the main change to make. There's not much point talking about banning cars or even massively discouraging them until there's a viable alternative on offer. The cost of driving lessons, fuel, etc is already a pretty major disincentive.
Yes, this seems right, plus I'd add looking at making working from home the default and a company maybe having to prove it couldn't set you up there for most work (maybe a one day a week in the office for the social side etc) and some sort of community delivery service so people with mobility issues could have stuff brought to them if they wanted, maybe tied to a general welfare check for e.g. elderly and isolated/ Bit pie in the sky I realise and probably issues haven't occurred to me but we need to be thinking of different ways of doing stuff.

Ghent is the same as other Dutch and Belgian cities - fantastic for cyclists, absolutely fucking shit for people in wheelchairs.
Can you expand on this or give a few links to read? AFAIK people with adapted vehicles or whatever the Belgian equivalent of our blue badge is can register and take their car into the city. And then with areas pedestrianised/no cars everywhere it’s easier to get around in a chair?

Last edited:
From what I have seen on this thread the pollution is the main objection to cars. Electric, hydrogen or hybrid would sort that wouldn't it?
Well that electricity has to be generated somewhere. But no, pollution is but one part of a bigger picture of how cars strangle our spaces.

Back
Top Bottom