Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Belgium (Group G) - 19:00 - 28/06/2018

Final Score

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ska invita

back on the other side
Looking forward to this.
Cant see Belgium not scoring...I dont think the England defence can take any proper pressure.
Even if England lose they'll go through so not the end of the world.
Im going England 1 - Belgium 2

a draw most likely. neither side are going to bust a bollock cos qualification is assured. plus players will be rested. On tonight's evidence, columbia are the team to avoid in the next round - but we dont know where they will finish in their group.

iirc this game is the last group match. So in theory we could wait and see how the make up of the knock out draw is, and then aim for the easier path.
I'd personally make avoiding Colombia in the next round a priority*, but seeing as their group positions won't be known until an hour or two before the Belgium game, Southgate would have already named the team and called the tactics... Tricky.

*Cuadrado, Rodrigues & Falcao look like they's rip any defence to pieces, going on yesterday's performance against Poland.

Seems it won't matter much who tops the group in terms of who they face for the next round, not much between Japan, Senegal (although Colombia looked on the up yesterday), but it's more important about the draw after that. Finishing first would likely have us facing Germany or Brazil in the qtrs, but finishing second could lead to Mexico or Switzerland.

Seems it won't matter much who tops the group in terms of who they face for the next round, not much between Japan, Senegal (although Colombia looked on the up yesterday), but it's more important about the draw after that. Finishing first would likely have us facing Germany or Brazil in the qtrs, but finishing second could lead to Mexico or Switzerland.

We'll not get anywhere without beating someone good though. I'd love to see an England Germany match, not least because I reckon we could beat them on a good day.

I'll take a draw as long as we keep playing well, but there's issues with that Belgium defence we should be able to take advantage of.

Mind you Belgium will be thinking the same thing.

Vardy and Rashford need some more game time too.

Would be interesting if both England and Belgium went looking to lose... Has that ever happened before (outside of match fixing)?

i dont see that route as "easier". Brazil have been a bit meh and mexico look dangerous. The easier route will be the one that avoids Columbia in the next round - and that wont be known until after England have played.

England should and will just go for it. They won't want to lose momentum and Belgium are a good yardstick against stronger teams. In fact Belgium look like they could give any of the best teams a go right bow.

Will probably see some earlier substitutions but neither side will be playing to lose. Also the World Cup is great marketing for the transfer window so players will want to impress every game.

Last edited:
i dont see that route as "easier". Brazil have been a bit meh and mexico look dangerous. The easier route will be the one that avoids Columbia in the next round - and that wont be known until after England have played.
The Columbia match is at 3, Englands at 7, it's the very final group match so everything else will be known.

England should and will just go for it. They won't want to lose momentum and Belgium are a good yardstick against stronger teams. In fact Belgium look like they could give any of the best teams a go right bow.

Will probably seem some earlier substitutions but neither side will be playing to lose. Also the World Cup is great marketing for the transfer window so players will want to impress every game.
Yeah, there may be fewer crunching tackles or professional fouls, which might make the game wide open.

I reckon a drab 1-1 and group winner will be decided on fair play, that England will lose after Sterling gets a dubious yellow in the second half. Sun readers will burn effigies of him and the mail will put something borderline racist on their front page.

Would be interesting if both England and Belgium went looking to lose... Has that ever happened before (outside of match fixing)?
Not quite what you're asking for, but I learned of this match recently
When Grenada scored late in normal time to bring the scoreline to 2–1, Barbados deliberately scored an own goal to force extra-time, where they could get the two-goal winning margin they needed thanks to the unconventional golden goal rule. This meant that for the last 7 minutes of the match, Grenada was trying to score on either their own goal, or the Barbados goal, as either outcome (either 3–2 or 2–3) would have advanced them to the finals.

Back
Top Bottom