Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v France - Saturday 10/12 - 19:00, ITV

One observation (which I took much pleasure in how I describe it :) ) is that Foden plays like he's done a John Terry (shagged a team-mates partner) or done something massively obnoxious to make everyone hate him. But the boss has put him in the side (maybe he doesn't know and/or can't be told about the indiscretion) and they will do what the boss asks for, and have him in the team but they all adopt a "but that doesn't mean we have to play with him".

He was so infrequently passed to, and (to his immense credit) seems to use his speed to dart back and in to start any interesting shit....But basically had to start his move himself (cos no one else was going to do it for him).

And when he did have the ball, it felt difficult to get rid of (i.e. the team wanted him to fail (or were just unwilling to make the same effort) by not dashing to create a secure/productive angle.

FTR, I really rate him in theory, and Iove his style of being a busy little fucker, always darting around like he's just come on as sub (though tbf he does a lot!)...but i don't see where Guardiola described him as the best player or prospect he's ever seen eva. The France performance is, sadly, much too often classic international foden, and I'm just waiting for the day he explodes and changes a game single handidly.

Also he comes across as a whopping good egg in interviews (and the gazza tribute haircut in the Euros is instant Hall of Fame stuff), so I doubt my batshit theory has legs....But if it does come out, you heard it here first!
Synopsis for your first novel? Actually, I imagine the team do know about his indiscretion. They cornered him and imposed that haircut as a punishment.

Yeah, I'm with you about the *. Wanted England to win, but don't feel that bad about going out. If they'd got to the final, would have also wanted them to win, but hated the idea of them standing there with the trophy in front of the Qatari royals etc.

Oddly linked to my lack of giveafuck about the Euros:

Taking into consideration Englands general player quality relative to the other international teams (usually top 10, sometimes world best, sometimes can be ruined by shit managers/formations), and the required luck that winning a major trophy requires.... In my lifetime I have always had an expectation to win 1 big international football trophy. If I shuffle off this mortal coil and that single trophy is a Euro's...Honestly it will be a bit of a chip on my shoulder at the pearly gates that i didn't ever see the Big One.

And I kinda (definitely now, obvs) rank this one as a 'different' contest - an asterixed edition that I would have taken the extra gold star...But if I had a choice, Qatar wouldn't be my first I want to win (tbf, from a sporting perspective it's not had an impact on giving anyone an advantage)

Taking into consideration Englands general player quality relative to the other international teams (usually top 10, sometimes world best, sometimes can be ruined by shit managers/formations), and the required luck that winning a major trophy requires.... In my lifetime I have always had an expectation to win 1 big international football trophy. If I shuffle off this mortal coil and that single trophy is a Euro's...Honestly it will be a bit of a chip on my shoulder at the pearly gates that i didn't ever see the Big One.

And I kinda (definitely now, obvs) rank this one as a 'different' contest - an asterixed edition that I would have taken the extra gold star...But if I had a choice, Qatar wouldn't be my first I want to win (tbf, from a sporting perspective it's not had an impact on giving anyone an advantage)
At my age, 61, I'm definitely at the stage of 'well, I'll never see England win a major trophy/a Labour Government in my lifetime'.

(((Positive thinking)))

Maybe he shouldn't have taken two against his club teammate?.

He is (was :( ) probably the second most reliable penalty taker I've seen (after Shearer) (i could be talking bollocks tbh, obvs there's the data somewhere but cba). if there was a 3rd penalty in open play on Sunday, there would be no question he would take it with all his teammates backing.

Penalties are about technique and temperament, not data or information. Aside from extreme examples (i.e. penalty super-keepers), either a good 'hit' (power target) or luck will see you through - just make sure you have one of those. I don't think there was much impact of them being on the same team.

I don't think England have ever had the world's best set of players in my lifetime tbh. I'd say they've been historically let down by a lack of the sort of tactical basics that everyone else has had in favour of that focus on trying hard - all the 'passion' stuff. Where they are now they finally have that in there throughout the team and that's why they're performing more consistently. They might or might not win a trophy before the game moves on again but it's definitely more possible than it was.

I don't think England have ever had the world's best set of players in my lifetime tbh. I'd say they've been historically let down by a lack of the sort of tactical basics that everyone else has had in favour of that focus on trying hard - all the 'passion' stuff. Where they are now they finally have that in there throughout the team and that's why they're performing more consistently. They might or might not win a trophy before the game moves on again but it's definitely more possible than it was.
Yep. Proper contenders. Whoever won last night was going to be clear favourite to win the whole thing.

No disgrace in losing. Never ran out of ideas or attacking threat, which is a big change.

And lots of great young players. This is still a team on the up.

Yep. Proper contenders. Whoever won last night was going to be clear favourite to win the whole thing.

No disgrace in losing. Never ran out of ideas or attacking threat, which is a big change.

And lots of great young players. This is still a team on the up.
Yep, very different to some previous exits where they have been awful and there have been calls for root and branch reform, relearning how to kick footballs etc. From memory, I think we got a lot of that after the 2010 exit.

They don't practice penalties against each other allegedly.

"oddly instead of penalties, Lloris initiated an innovative and novel extra training regime for just them only, that took Kane outside his comfort zone and onto the Rugby pitch where Hugo had Kane practising conversions

On penalties, I was so impressed with Mesi pausing while the goalie went right and then just rolling it into the left.

However I wondered what would have happened if the goalie just stood his ground?

Matt Le Tissier was probably the most reliable English penalty taker.
Freakishly good. Only missed 1 out of about 50 in his senior career iirc. About the best ever anywhere.

Most decent takers are around 80-odd %. We're always shocked when they're missed, but it's not a gimme.

Freakishly good. Only missed 1 out of about 50 in his senior career iirc. About the best ever anywhere.

Most decent takers are around 80-odd %. We're always shocked when they're missed, but it's not a gimme.
Rickie Lambert came close to Le Tissier - he scored 34 out of 34 penalties for Southampton, 13 from 14 for Bristol Rovers, and 11 from 12 for Macclesfield and Rochdale.

Easily the best penalty taker I ever saw live.

Don't diss Dicks

best-penalty-takers-in-the-premier-league.png

for what its worth i called that he was going to miss - he looked genuinely stressed out by the moment in a way he didnt in the first pen. he doesnt give much away Kane, he's a calm character over all, but i think he got a bit dizzy

for what its worth i called that he was going to miss - he looked genuinely stressed out by the moment in a way he didnt in the first pen. he doesnt give much away Kane, he's a calm character over all, but i think he got a bit dizzy
I do wonder how the opportunity to become England's record goalscorer might have come into his thoughts. Despite what Sam Matterface said, it did remind me of Lineker missing the penalty that would have made him England's joint highest goalscorer.

Back
Top Bottom