Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v France - Saturday 10/12 - 19:00, ITV

To my surprise, the ref in the England France game didn't get cut from the shortened referee list for the semis and finals. I'd still be very surprised if he got picked to ref again in the competition though, especially the final.

On Portuguese TV for some reason they show the VAR team just before the game kicks off and read out the three names of the VAR team . There are normally six tv screens and six people watching them with someone who stands behind them . What I dont get is a) the fact that they didn’t seem to intervene in the penalty appeal first half b) that they don’t seem to have any impact on referee feedback .
Who does the referee feedback/ appraisal ?

On Portuguese TV for some reason they show the VAR team just before the game kicks off and read out the three names of the VAR team . There are normally six tv screens and six people watching them with someone who stands behind them . What I dont get is a) the fact that they didn’t seem to intervene in the penalty appeal first half b) that they don’t seem to have any impact on referee feedback .
Who does the referee feedback/ appraisal ?
I think they did review the incident that you refer to but decided it wasn’t a penalty. As they are so secretive with their decisions, we don’t know if they didn’t think it was a foul or can’t overrule the ref in such circumstances.

There are normally referee assessors. I assume that they also have VAR assessors. If they felt the performance was very bad presumably he would have been sent home already. If he gets picked for the final they obviously thought he was ok.

Be interesting to hear what Portuguese TV/media felt of the game and referee’s performance.

Commentators on ITV said it was a foul but outside the box therefore nothing.

Search brought up this

VAR review: This was a definite foul by Upamecano, who caught Kane on the back of his calf just has he was entering the area. But the VAR can only rule on the penalty and not a missed free kick. So, if the foul takes place on the line or in the area it's a penalty; if the foul takes place outside the area play continues from the point it was stopped.

This all comes down the VAR needing the weight of evidence to prove where the foul contact took place -- just like with the ball in play on Japan's winning goal against Spain. The VAR will take the moment of contact which causes the foul: where is that part of Kane's leg in relation to the line (the line belongs to the box, so it's a penalty if on it.) That Kane falls into the area, or has a foot inside it when contact is made isn't relevant.

The VAR will check every available angle (there are far more than we are shown on the television) to try to work out where this contact was, using multiple synced cameras to the same frame. The angles shown on TV really weren't conclusive, and only the camera square to the penalty area line can really give the VAR the best evidence. In this case, it was decided that contact was just outside the area, or at least there wasn't the evidence it was on the line.

But this again highlights the unacceptable level of information on VAR decisions from FIFA within games. It only shows fans what the VAR is viewing if the referee is at the monitor. Otherwise, it all goes on in the background and everyone is left to guess about the process. We all want to hear the audio from the VAR room, but at the moment FIFA (and UEFA for that matter) is reluctant to even show supporters what the team is looking at.

I think they did review the incident that you refer to but decided it wasn’t a penalty. As they are so secretive with their decisions, we don’t know if they didn’t think it was a foul or can’t overrule the ref in such circumstances.

There are normally referee assessors. I assume that they also have VAR assessors. If they felt the performance was very bad presumably he would have been sent home already. If he gets picked for the final they obviously thought he was ok.

Be interesting to hear what Portuguese TV/media felt of the game and referee’s performance.
I watched the game on TSN rather than Portuguese TV. The football daily papers were far too concerned with Portugals exit than the England game tbh , which was a minor footnote , although I remember in one report it described the game as 'very disputed'

The Portuguese Sports channels and the terrestrial ones when they have the Euros or World Cup little or none of this pundit business pre match , half time or post match , its straight to adverts or on Sports Tv the interval screen. The press hold most of the inquests.

The league generally doesn't have them either apart from the club channels like Benfica Tv or Sporting TV or Porto canal who have rights to a number of games. On those channels every throw in that didn't go the club's way is repeated to levels infinity. There are also some late night 'debates' about match results normally between Presidents/Vice President types , fans and journalists which after 20 minutes descend into a bit of shouting and chest beating .

Back
Top Bottom