Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

The most realistic chance of a win must be something like England getting a lead around 100+ and then getting Pakistan out cheaply on a deteriorating pitch to leave themselves a very small chase.

Two full days left. The pitch may very well start to go at some point. Pakistan are a team with very fragile confidence. If England can score 700+, they've got a chance. Need to keep them out there fielding for most of tomorrow, properly knacker them out.

A draw is favourite now, for sure, but not an inevitability.

Pitches in Pakistan can and do fall apart, but I can't see it on this occasion - not enough to go from probably 20 wickets in nearly 4 days to a result.

I'd love to be proved wrong though, would make for some finish.

Pakistan also have a recent history of falling apart spectacularly on the back of big first innings totals. Get enough of a lead and England will at least be able to put some pressure on their second innings which would give them some chance of forcing the result.

A lead of 300?

So England to declare with a score something over, er, 850...!

:eek:

:D

I actually don't think 800 is out of the question and I'd like to see it done. This pitch deserves it. And the psychological blow to Pakistan would be big. And England could get to 800 by just after tea tomorrow.

No stupid declarations please, this pitch is knackering*, the bowlers don't need to bowl another 100+ overs for the sake of it.

* There's a great line in the Guardian report today.

When Brook was on 75 he defended a ball from Aamir Jamal that bounced into the ground, up off his chin and from there back down and into the stumps, but by that point even the bails were too knackered to move.

I agree about no stupid declarations. England should not declare before tea tomorrow, and quite possibly they should bat on a fair bit after tea if they're still out there. Pitch may not ever break up but they need to give it maximum chance to.

Aside from only needing 120, you'd, give them 5 sessions to do it? Sorry, not making my point very clearly, that would give them a chance to build a lead and control the pace of the match.

Anyway... :oops: , I'll now move onto statements of the obvious. It will depend if England lose wickets early in the morning, as often happens after a couple of mammoth innings. If Root and Brook stay in a while, and we get something similar from Smith and maybe a few from Woakes, they'll keep on batting as long as they can as fast as they can. Their ideal scenario is probably declare at teatime. Seems a bit weird though, even with this pitch, to be talking about scores of 750 plus when just 3 more wickets could change the whole scenario.

Anyway, as Root has ice on his hamstring, I'll put some on my brain.

Pitches in Pakistan can and do fall apart, but I can't see it on this occasion - not enough to go from probably 20 wickets in nearly 4 days to a result.

I'd love to be proved wrong though, would make for some finish.
All I'll say is that people were saying exactly that at this stage in games last time England were in Pakistan.

Also, Bangladesh a few weeks ago. Pakistan have recent form for plucking defeat from a certain draw and they won't fancy it one bit if England get a lead here.

England do have a lead, 50 and still with those 7 wickets in hand.

It can't be good for Pakistan's collective mindset when these 2 resume in the morning, bat sensibly to a lead, and then start to accelerate.

Brook closing in on the 200 too, records and milestones tumbling all the time.

Next into the equation is personal milestones vs maximum time to win the match. Get both to 300 by tea and declare?

BTW, calling it now - Tendulkar's "unbreakable" record of test runs is going to go. By the end of this series Root will be at or close to 3000 runs behind, he scores 1000+ a year, and just keeps getting better and better.

Back
Top Bottom