Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric scooters

Mine is in the house and is staying there for the moment. Too many cunts trying to nick it with the police up front.

I have not been out on mine much but the police crackdown seems to have tailed off considerably so I might start taking it out again, keep to the back roads and avoid going over bridges/past stations where most of the crackdowns seem to occur.

They are all over Luton at the moment. Seen loads of people in suits and a fair few council workers alongside the yoot.

Have chatted to quite a few over the last few months and not a single one has had any police interaction.

Also today I watched a young bloke skull 4 cans of K Cider then head off in heavy traffic :facepalm:

This is from a north american perspective which means they are comparing e-scooters with cars and talking less about public transport than a european discussion should... but anyway

For 'developing world' cities, such as Jakarta, they could make total sense, and replace gridlock. I still think the problem we have in British cities is the infrastructure requires major investment to turn into into a 3 traffic system... Cars, bikes/ scooters and pedestrians.

As alluded to by others here, driving one of these is the same as driving a car in terms of driving (and it seems insurance, licencing etc). I can see a lot of people getting caught out by this - it was only because of a previous post on this thread that I knew this already - I'd have thought it a similar situation to a bicycle.

Does this mean that drinking riding on a Jump/lime bike also risks your licence? Or is it just this weird status that's been given to escooters?

For 'developing world' cities, such as Jakarta, they could make total sense, and replace gridlock. I still think the problem we have in British cities is the infrastructure requires major investment to turn into into a 3 traffic system... Cars, bikes/ scooters and pedestrians.
What is it that makes them make sense in Jakarta but not London? I don't know Jakarta but assume it doesn't have a carefully segregated 3 mode system.

They don't count as motor vehicles as the motors are under a certain limit (250W?) and are pedal assist. Some of the ebikes out there will carry this risk though because they count as mopeds.

Its the e-assist thing that counts. A moped / car / e-scooter goes under its own power, an e-assist bike goes nowhere unless you pedal it.

That seems very harsh, he must have really pissed off the judge.

He was dicking about on a quiet road and didn't really put anyone but himself at risk, even the nearly hitting the bus was no where near as dangerous as implied. No way that deserves 4 months locked up. There surely must be more to it than that?!?

He was dicking about on a quiet road and didn't really put anyone but himself at risk, even the nearly hitting the bus was no where near as dangerous as implied. No way that deserves 4 months locked up. There surely must be more to it than that?!?
Yes, seems completely disproportional to punishments that motor vehicle drivers receive for actions that put others at risk rather than themselves.

There's a mum of a kid at my daughter's school that has been flying about on one of these with her 4 or 5 year-old daughter standing on it with her. Looks so dangerous. Any type of emergency stop is going to involve flying through the air.

I've been working in Bristol a bit recently, and the hire scheme they have there for these things seems pretty good - apparently they're limited to 12mph or something like that, and they're GPS tracked to stop people using them on the pavement. As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of contraventions (at least with the hire ones - there's lots of people on their own scooters that go where they please too...)

Yes, seems completely disproportional to punishments that motor vehicle drivers receive for actions that put others at risk rather than themselves.

At the time of the offence he was serving a Detention Training Order for breaches of a Criminal Behaviour Order. These offences simply see that existing DTO extended by four months. However I’m sure people on this forum know more about his circumstances than was presented to the court, so I guess the sentence was indeed manifestly excessive.

What is it that makes them make sense in Jakarta but not London? I don't know Jakarta but assume it doesn't have a carefully segregated 3 mode system

Jakarta doesn't and currently doesn't need to as there is zero cycling culture as a means of transport, and not much of a pedestrian culture tbh. What it has currently is large multi-lane roads in pretty much permanent gridlock, so it takes hours to travel anywhere. There's also no urban transit system of note - they are just beginning to build one.

I say it makes sense because it would be very easy to convert one of the road lanes for use of escooters and there'd probably be still 3 lanes left for cars. In London for example we have a much older and congested infrastructure, and often less space, making it much more difficult to create without a massive change in road use.

Also, the climate over there lends itself to escooters..

Last edited:
I saw someone overtake moving traffic going uphill on one of these today. I don't see how he can have been doing less than 30. I had no idea they could be so powerful.

I saw someone overtake moving traffic going uphill on one of these today. I don't see how he can have been doing less than 30. I had no idea they could be so powerful.
They can reach 60 plus with two high wattage motors front and back. The average one you see will not do more than 12/15mph. No interest in going faster than that

I'da imagine a significant list of previous convictions to draw four months for that.

I reckon we must have been watching different videos, 'cos to me it looked like the bus driver had to brake pretty hard to avoid him. He was riding it like a twat, and putting other people's lives in danger. Fuck him.

Back
Top Bottom