Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric scooters

I can't help but feel people's reaction to E-Scooters is blinkered. We can't see a world outside our own. E-scooters are zipping around dozens of other European capitals no problem. As has been the case for so long our media turns a blind eye to Europe and takes the easy spoon fed news, in English, from the US.

No problem. Blind eyes...

No problem. Blind eyes...
The point I'm making is that this hasn't led to them being banned has it? As night follows day there will be death from E Scooters.

I noted this photo in one article about e-scooter safety.

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 22.52.27.jpg

Here is a photo about car safety:

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 22.54.48.jpg

Need to start looking at banning cars from any areas prone to earthquake or building collapse. They just aren't safe.

I can't help but feel people's reaction to E-Scooters is blinkered. We can't see a world outside our own. E-scooters are zipping around dozens of other European capitals no problem. As has been the case for so long our media turns a blind eye to Europe and takes the easy spoon fed news, in English, from the US.
This just isn't true. Look up Oslo.

The point I'm making is that this hasn't led to them being banned has it? As night follows day there will be death from E Scooters.

No, cars haven't been banned either. This doesn't mean they don't present numerous problems in terms of deaths, serious injuries, pollution and completely changing our urban environment.

We need to stop pretending escooters don't present any problems which need addressing. One being people currently riding them on pavements. The escooting industry themselves recognise it's in their long term interests to make them as safe a possible.

No one has said there are no problems with them. The problems appear to be the same as bikes (excluding the fast scooters which should be licenced) and considerably less than the problems cars present. There is no moral panic around bikes or cars though.

Last edited:
I am still getting one

with all this moral panic about them I’m contemplating one.

I’ve even googled tote bag that turns in to a rucksack for my morrisons scooter run

as a fat boy do I get a turbo charged one for hills?

I’ve worked in cities that have these as “Boris bike” alternatives and the biggest danger is tripping up on them
When they are just left in any old place

Last edited:
with all this moral panic about them I’m contemplating one.

I’ve even googled tote bag that turns in to a rucksack for my morrisons scooter run

as a fat boy do I get a turbo charged one for bills?

I’ve worked in cities that have these as “Boris bike” alternatives and the biggest danger is tripping up on them
When they are just left in any old place
Just buy the most powerful one you can from China, then paint it in the same livery as the legit hire jobbies.

No one has said there are no problems with them. The problems appear to be the same as bikes (excluding the fast scooters which should be licenced) and considerably less than the problems cars present. There is no moral panic around bikes or cars though.
Some did actually say there were 'no problems'... But the bigger point is that the main thrust on this thread has been to dismiss and trivialise - of which going on about "moral panic" is just one example. Another is continuously to reference cyclists and cars as if that closes the discussion on escooters.

I'd also point out that bikes and cars have also been around for 100+years, so its hardly suprising that there is some focus on escooters which is a new form of transport, and which do present new and different problems.

It's not really a radically new form of transport though.... And there don't actually seem to be many problems that are unique to e-scooters. Nearly all the problems raised are pretty much similar to problems arising from bikes - in other words they are familiar problems that we already have ways of dealing with. The differences seem more to be generated by the wierd legislation around them.

Actually of all the e-things I'm a bit surprised that scooters raise the most concern. I don't want to have a collision (as a pedestrian) with either a cyclist or s scooterist but if I had to choose one I might go for the scooterist. I'd be more worried about the increasingly heavy e-bikes that are around, which start to become something more like a motorbike in terms of kinetic energy and maneuverability. This includes the delivery bikes with trailers or with more than two wheels - much better than a car or van but arguably should not necessarily be in the same category of vehicle as a bike or scooter, for the purposes of deciding what space they have access to, and things like insurance or licencing.

Micro-mobility really is a new form - in terms of speed, acceleration, maneuverability, sound - all of which have an impact on why they're used, and the impact they have on pedestrians. Also we don't yet have a real culture around how they're used. I'd generally say that cyclists (with the exception of Deliveroo cyclists) tend to stick to roads - and anyone over 20 cycling on a pavement comes across as abit of a twat.. This isn't yet the case with escooters where you see vastly more hoping off between paements/roads - ignoring all the rules of junctions etc.
If you're abit suprised by all this then walk around a few parks or paths. I suspect the difference with e-bikes is the people using them tend to stick more to roads.

The culture is partly the result of the stupid strange rules though - here's a scooter you can buy legally but you mustn't ride it on a public road. Is it surprising that some people take that as meaning maybe-it'll-not-be-so-illegal if I go on the pavement or a path?

I walk around loads on paths and pavements and in parks all the time. I just don't feel I come into conflict with scooters any more than bikes or other vehicles. I accept it might be different in different areas though.

The culture is partly the result of the stupid strange rules though - here's a scooter you can buy legally but you mustn't ride it on a public road. Is it surprising that some people take that as meaning maybe-it'll-not-be-so-illegal if I go on the pavement or a path?

I walk around loads on paths and pavements and in parks all the time. I just don't feel I come into conflict with scooters any more than bikes or other vehicles. I accept it might be different in different areas though.
Well, I guess we'll find out when they legalise them... it doesn't explain the current hoping between pavement and road that goes on, or some of the bizarre riding that currently goes on on roads..

I had a go on the hire ones in London the other day. What utter utter shite. Firstly I tried a couple of apps, it took ages to get registered on one, you need a driving licence and to do stupid facial scans, they struggled to unlock, you have to answer stupid questions. Each of the apps had their own way of fucking things up - it was quite impressive. Eventually after much fucking around I managed to get enrolled with Lime bike.

Now my journey was from near the Royal Albert Hall to Embankment, nice simple route along the little road at the bottom of Hyde Park near the barracks > Green Park bike lane > Mall > Trafalgar Sq > Embankment. The sort of journey this was made for. Now all the pissing about with getting the app had eaten up a good 20 mins but get on the scooter and it's reasonably solid and is fast enough cross the road and enter South Carriage Drive (a wide access road) and the things just loses power and crapps out. Push it a bit and it picks up pace then drops out again - the thing weighing so much and with I guess regenerative breaking doesn't function at all as a regular scooter so it just becomes a dead weight.

Apparently there are geofenced areas where it'll just stop working (including the Royal Parks :rolleyes:) - the road bit that I was on was quiet but I sure lost any trust in it if it can chose to just cut power at will. Incredibly dangerous if that happened with a bus following. The alternative route was up Knightsbridge which just seemed way to risky with something that acts to its own will so returned it to the bay where I started this endeavour half an hour earlier and a few quid poorer.

Utter utter shite.

Just had a go on one of these bad boys

My word :eek:

Just had a go on one of these bad boys

My word :eek:

25kg for a scooter :eek:

I saw two blokes riding on one today. They were easily doing 20-25 mph as well. Must have been a powerful model.

2 nippers cruised past me on a couple of electric bmx/mountain style bikes, looked way cooler, safer and more fun

ed to add possibly legal too

This is from a north american perspective which means they are comparing e-scooters with cars and talking less about public transport than a european discussion should... but anyway

Back
Top Bottom