Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric scooters

By the way, this attempt to create equivalence between cyclists and pedestrians with respect to danger posed to others looks just as ridiculous as when the car lobbyists do it between cars and cycles.
Indeed. The only equivalence I'm drawing is that all road users travelling at speed have the potential to cause serious injury and/or damage. This applies to cars, motorbikes, cycles, scooters, etc. Bringing pedestrians into the mix is a blatant troll. It's an attempt to place cyclists into the same group as pedestrians, which they clearly aren't. I CBA doing the calculations but a cyclist travelling at 30mph has the potential to cause serious injury or death if they hit a pedestrian. I don't know of any pedestrians that walk at 30mph, so I'll refer to my initial assertion, that I believe all road users should be insured and held accountable for their actions. This isn't a cars Vs bikes thing, it's simply common sense, because there are far too many cyclists who ride like they are exempt from the rules that apply to other road users, which is ridiculous, and the same applies to electric scooter riders. If you're using a vehicle on the road, and that vehicle has the potential to cause injury/damage, you should have third party insurance, and given the cost of it for cyclists, it's extremely selfish to argue otherwise.

Should my kids riding their bikes to school have insurance?
Yes. Do you think otherwise? Do you think they should be allowed to cause potentially thousands of pounds of damage to the bodywork of a car, and the car owner should have to foot the bill? How about if they run into a child? How selfish are you if you think a tenner a year is too much to ask to cover other people and their property?

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I have public liability insurance for the model helicopters and quadcopters I fly. I don't have it because I like to pay for unnecessary things, or because the aircraft are likely to injure anyone, as I fly them in places where the chances of hitting anything or anyone are in the billions to one, but there is that slim chance, and I know I couldn't afford to pay out if I chopped someone to pieces with the blades of a helicopter, so I have insurance, because it's the right thing to do, despite the fact that my helicopters are far less likely to injure someone than a cyclist is.

Yes. Do you think otherwise? Do you think they should be allowed to cause potentially thousands of pounds of damage to the bodywork of a car, and the car owner should have to foot the bill? How about if they run into a child? How selfish are you if you think a tenner a year is too much to ask to cover other people and their property?
I think that trying to come up with a system to insure kids riding their bikes would be utterly unworkable, yes. Thankfully, the government agrees with me.

“We’re off to the park”
“OK, have you got your paperwork?”

lol

Dreadful thing to happen.

Copper being a copper though:

"I am asking this person to please come forward and speak to us because we do need to understand what happened."

Yeah, just need to understand, not bang you up or owt...

Is this why I’m seeing various Peter Hitchen types banging on on Twitter about electric scooters with the same vigour they normally save for designer drugs, rubber dinghy immigrants and anything left of Goebbels

Escooters the new frontline of the culture wars?

Is this why I’m seeing various Peter Hitchen types banging on on Twitter about electric scooters with the same vigour they normally save for designer drugs, rubber dinghy immigrants and anything left of Goebbels

That would be a massive distraction, and avoids the real problem.

As far as pavements go, I suspect it is mainly people pissed off with having a new danger on pavements - and when you've got people getting seriously injured walking through parks I don't think you can just dismiss it as a culture war.

I leave it to the car drivers/cyclists to discuss what what goes on on roads.. I don't drive.

It'll be mostly the same people who think all cyclists should have numberplates/licenses/insurance etc.

Because there are some people who exhibit bad behaviour on bikes/scooters, everyone else should be denied the use of them. The same logic never seems to apply to cars.

It'll be mostly the same people who think all cyclists should have numberplates/licenses/insurance etc.

Because there are some people who exhibit bad behaviour on bikes/scooters, everyone else should be denied the use of them. The same logic never seems to apply to cars.
If you read your own threads you will find that the same logic does apply to irresponsible driving and bad behaviour exhibited by car drivers.

Watched this yesterday and thought it was a good video. The guy is a driving instructor and spends most of his time in cars, but here he checks out what it's like to be a scooter user. Fairly unsurprisingly, it's quite similar to being a cyclist using the roads.

If you read your own threads you will find that the same logic does apply to irresponsible driving and bad behaviour exhibited by car drivers.
No it doesn't - I just need to step outside my front door for a few minutes to see multiple drivers speeding and driving dangerously. In the same time I might see zero or one scooter pass on the roadway, let alone on the pavement. But the number of people banging on about cyclists and scooters completely outweighs those of us trying to do something about drivers.

No it doesn't - I just need to step outside my front door for a few minutes to see multiple drivers speeding and driving dangerously. In the same time I might see zero or one scooter pass on the roadway, let alone on the pavement. But the number of people banging on about cyclists and scooters completely outweighs those of us trying to do something about drivers.
That's because pedestrians generally don't see drivers as a problem, because drivers tend not to race along pavements. Cyclists and scooter riders, on the other hand...

I can't help but feel people's reaction to E-Scooters is blinkered. We can't see a world outside our own. E-scooters are zipping around dozens of other European capitals no problem. As has been the case for so long our media turns a blind eye to Europe and takes the easy spoon fed news, in English, from the US.

I can't help but feel people's reaction to E-Scooters is blinkered. We can't see a world outside our own. E-scooters are zipping around dozens of other European capitals no problem. As has been the case for so long our media turns a blind eye to Europe and takes the easy spoon fed news, in English, from the US.

It is a moral panic. One of the few things we are good at is having moral panics.

What those Europeans cities have of course, is better “not cars” infrastructure, as well as social attitudes that are about 30 years ahead of this tragic little island.

Back
Top Bottom