Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

EDL watch

Im in Nuneaton, but didnt venture out. For a while in the early afternoon I could hear the EDL chants from my house, as the wind was blowing in the right direction. There were a couple of bangs around the same time but I obviously cant confirm what they were. The police helicopter went up shortly later and remained in the area for quite some time.

It sounds like the EDL were allowed to march here. I was under the impression that they were supposed to be penned in at this location which is conveniently overshadowed by the local police station/court building, maybe that happened later after thy had finished marching. I am thinking that much of the trouble happened when the EDL marched past where the counter-demonstrators were penned in.

216500608.jpg

The 2nd half of this video features the flashpoint in Nuneaton today, not terribly dramatic.

And here is quite a good look at the EDL as they march towards their enclosure:

footage from preston today. you can see missiles, fireworks etc being thrown into the crowd where the filming was taking place, these were onlookers, not the counter protest.

Well the police helicopter is no stranger to my part of Nuneaton, or Nuneaton in general. Im in the main muslim area just outside the town centre, which the EDL got very close to the first time they came here. The polcie never let them get anywhere near here during subsequent EDL protests. But all the same there were sirens & the helicopter very close to my house this afternoon so I presume they were trying to deal with possible small breakaway groups in this area.

Either way according to Warwickshire police there have been 5 arrests today so not exactly trouble on a large scale, think there were more arrests at previous EDL events here although todays looked to be the most heavily attended (previous events here were centred around military parades rather than the EDL having their own big march).

Preston can do without this at Xmas Time, if they don't do well in the shops then, they are stuck

You're telling me. The police don't need to cost of policing a march like this either, especially on the same day they have to police the PNE vs Milwall match in Deepdale, and the centre of town was VERY heavily policed today. Reports from twitter (although no idea if true or not) that after being loaded back onto their coaches they moved on to Chorley and Manchester to cause trouble there.

its all quite frightening , anyone who felt the EDL could be a broad based group and give marginalised people a voice(however misguided) has left dissolusioned, this may be our very own S.A

Yep been reading that all day. The reports from Preston don't match the twitter feeds, reports from people there, local paper, police etc. I know the police under-report any shit that goes down but that guy has been posting about both Preston and Nuneaton all day but hasn't stated where he actually was...

An old Australian themed gag:

What's your favourite pastime sport. :D

I have more you'll be saddened to hear.

Tom Nairn, considered one of the key thinkers of the (British) New Left. From 1962, with Perry Anderson in New Left Review. Nairn in his published work:The Enchanted Glass (1988), a serious modern investigations into the British Monarchy, made reference to the state using reactionary forces to be brought into view to be used as a threat, conveniently built up as potential attack dogs to counter the growth and influence of progressive movements, usually of the left in times of crisis. Used as part of the states resources of checks and balances.

The EDL appear to be the reactionary force being used in a similar fashion at present. It's no surprise then to see, increasingly so, these reactionary forces turning up at meetings organised by left groups, using intimidatory tactics, including disruption, threats oif and actual violence.

Expect more of the same and also be prepared for a possible escalation in this tactic, as the current crisis deepens. It could get ugly, so security needs to be stepped up as a priority. Some are so lax on this it borders on amateur night at the wheel tappers and shunters club open mic night, with Orville the duck appointed cheif steward.

The whole scheme could also back-fire on those in control, losing the leash to be let loose completely are there other forces able to pick it up? I doubt it. Letting the attack dogs roam off the leash is a dangerous option and not one favoured by anyone least of all the authorities. The consequences have the potential to be dire and that would not be allowed to happen.

In a recent meeting, with Peter Hain in attendance, people attending this meeting were instructed to remove the batteries from all the mobile phones that people had bought with them into the meeting. Some may find it extraordinary that an ex minister and presently an elected representative, an MP and a member of the opposition, felt it necessarily for this to happen, believing that there was a possibilty that the meeting itself was being monitored by certain forces.

Could these forces be the "secret state" David Shayler, the ex MI5 officer, who was imprisoned, referred to in the book he co-wrote with his ex partner, Annie Machon, another former intelligence officer.

Even the Queen herself has in the past mentioned "dark forces" operating in this country. These forces are reportedly accountable to no one and appear to act with impunity, who are above the law, using any means necessary, including killing people, even those who are innocent bystanders have been victims with some being killed during operations (Libya is mentioned where innocent lives were lost) and referred to as "collateral damage".

Democracy my arse seems an appropriate term with this knowledge uppermost, of a serious, systemic fault, appearing beneficial to anti-democratic forces built into the system. This in stark contrast to how the niave believe it to be, that is, fair and benign, serving the interests of the population as a whole. Something likened to Disneyland, but in reality can be easily become like the Village, with the character of prisoner, but lacking any quaint facade and definately no one with the Number 6.badge pinned to a well tailored blazer. This is no series with a walk on part. Not even I'm afraid a well known actor in cameo.

Room 101 on the other hand is more likely, updated with the latest implements of horror nightmares are made off.

Or do people think this to be a load of old bollocks?

Consider carefully before replying to this particular question, as I recognise it's open to be ridiculed, or abused for comedy effect.

I do expect some agreement to the load of old bollocks comment I've posted, that can be replied to if you are in agreement with this, but do try to restrain yourself from being a complete arse when considering the question. I expect some will view this as a fun option and there is a real possibility for some to take an opportunity to act like blithering idiots after reading the question. This is Urban75 afterall, with a fair share of comedians in residence. No offence meant. :D

The very first thing that strikes me is their incoherence in practice . Making the correct argument (that they and others should have listened to 18 months ago) in the paper that the EDL and fundies feed off each other, whilst in reality and at the same time doing exactly what the edl want - bigging them up with hysterical bollocks all day yesterday turning them into exactly the bogeyman the fundies want and need to bolster themselves.

its all quite frightening , anyone who felt the EDL could be a broad based group and give marginalised people a voice(however misguided) has left dissolusioned, this may be our very own S.A

Promoting fear leads to a paralysis that the forces of reaction can only gain from. A contribution you appear to came out with at times when what is required is less hysterical in tone and involves a tactic that isn't an over reaction to such events, with some level headed, response, involving thought, before engaging gob.

Nigel Copsey has recently authored a report for Faith Matters on the EDL arguing no counterdemos , 'inter faith' activities targeted towards white working class youth and a potential ban on Facebook for the EDL if it contravenes their acceptable use policy.

Reasonable summary of the EDL in that it consludes whilst containing far right white nationalists it is not the BNP's boot boys but thin otherwise.

http://faith-matters.org/images/stories/fm-reports/english-defense-league-report.pdf

Kent EDL are planning to hold a meeting tomorrow December 1st at O' Connells bar in Chatham,Kent.
O' Connells is located at 13 Ordnance Terrace Chatham Kent ME4 6PS.Start time is 8pm
You can ring them and POLITELY ask why they are holding an EDL meeting on 01634 842 138. Remember, they may not be aware of the nature of the meeting so be nice...

Back
Top Bottom