Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Looks like a stronger Ryman Premier this season with some decent sides. Have seen highlights of Maidstone's games and they look a very tidy side; would also expect Lowestoft to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season (apparently they had an "off-day" at Champion Hill). Also think Margate might do a bit better this year.

Do Hamlet have the squad to maintain their good start, do you think?

If Maidstone are up there I don't see any reason Dulwich wouldn't be seeing as they finished ahead of Maidstone last season. Who knows about the squad though - I'd guess no teams at this level have too much quality back up so there's bound to be an element of luck. If Oztumer particularly got injured they might struggle a bit.

Decided to go late but arrive at station to find no trains. Another 40 mins by bus. :mad: Will keep checking Twitter for the score.

Match report from the mighty Dulwich Hamlet's 3-1 victory yesterday

dulwich-hamlet-carshalton-athletic-24.jpg

dulwich-hamlet-carshalton-athletic-09.jpg

dulwich-hamlet-carshalton-athletic-10.jpg

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2013/08/...1-in-a-south-london-monsoon-24th-august-2013/

0-0 away to Grays in the desolate wastelands of Essex. They were our toughest opponents thus far, so we should be happy with a point, but there were chances to win it. We missed Harry Ottaway a lot, I reckon.

Some of the Grays fans were quite vocal, but we rose to the challenge and dominated them with our big mouths and an even bigger songbook (30-ish already this season, I worked out one very bored night at work).

Erhun was class and came closest to scoring for us, and Phil made a couple of great saves.

The start we've had this season is amazing - I don't know if anyone could have expected us to do this well so far. But we're a decent side and we play good possesion/passing football, and the wind is in our sails.

Great result on Saturday, despite the conditions. The mad rail deluge reminded me of the half time hailstorm back in April v Burgess Hill. I was totally soaked, but it was fun. Unfortunately I lost my Brixton Cycles hat after the game, during the run for the bus. If anyone found it.... :)

492 on Saturday was a decent attendance. We were regulary getting 300-350 a couple of years ago, and now it's usually 500+ regularly, even on a Tuesday night, when we used to get 90 odd. The local excitement is growing. A couple of 1000+ attendances last season v Maidstone and Burgess Hill Town, and 1500 (i think) against Crystal Palace in the pre-season friendly.

The record Dulwich attendance in the new stadium is 1835 (v Southport in 1998/99) - reckon we might beat that this season....?

The record Dulwich attendance in the new stadium is 1835 (v Southport in 1998/99) - reckon we might beat that this season....?

That's the, er, official attendance. In reality it was closer to 2,500 but the dodgy owners at the time didn't want to share all the gate (as, gasp!, still happens in the social democratic hangover that is the FA Cup). Do I think we'll beat it? Probably not as most football fans are mugs who sadly don't know what's good for them. But as you say, they're heading in an upward trajectory. One of the lifelong Rabble told me four or five seasons ago it was always under 200, with a minute's silence every match. A bit like a Tory conference. They were worried about the club's future.

And in other news... Paul Vines, who was quite frankly terrible yesterday, exhibiting the pace and turning circle of a distressed oil tanker, may possibly have quit/been pushed out. With Ottaway's broken leg I reckon we might make the tactical hipsters cream their pants by adopting an austerity strikerless system. Apparently Gavin Rose experimented with it when he was boss at Beckenham Town way back in 2005! You failed to mention that in Inverting The Pyramid, Jonathan Wilson. Irrational rationalist.

tumblr_msbcwmbIdL1sn4d9xo1_500.png

(By the way, to late for this one, but if anyone's got access to free colour printing and wouldn't mind printing up a few posters give us a shout - the last slave got caught at work, alas, so they are currently environmentally friendly digital posters...)

Back
Top Bottom