Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

I still think Hamlet should come on to this soundtrack. And have the bloke in the photo booth too. That would unsettle the opposition, for sure.

Due to being away for 10 days, I've missed the three league games so far this season. Who's up for tomorrow night?

Pants Man magneze editor

Table is looking pretty good for us already....great to have some momentum so early in the season!

2ww2JY7.png

Not going to make this. Saturday possibly.

Decent game - 4-0 - and we totally outclassed Cray Wanderers :)

BSLOcJJCYAE9VXe.jpg:large

Dulwich Hamlet 4 - 0 Cray Wanderers

Green (15)
Oztumer (44)
Ottaway (60)
Oztumer (65)

Another warm summer evening at Champion Hill where the only thing more savage than the insects biting my ankles was Dulwich's attacking prowess. Ellis Green and Nyren Clunis terrorised Cray down the left flank and some superb goals left the Hamlet worthy winners. A good crowd were entertained by some decent pre-match music, despite the Prodigy's 'Mindfields" track forcing the PA into some strange farting bass sounds.

Cray looked competent at best and barely threatened aside from a few 5 min spells. In the second minute Green crossed from the left for Dean Lodge who headed over the bar from a difficult angle 5 yards out. It was Green again in the 15th minute who picked up the ball on the left and drifted across the Cray defence, which opened up invitingly, causing the Hamlet faithful to scream 'SHOOT!" Ellis obliged and cracked it into the net from outside the box, fantastic goal.

Hamlet plugged away with some decent attacking stuff, whereas a fairly agricultural Cray side seemed determined to crunch as many ankles as possible. Just before half time, Oztumer picked up the ball on the edge of the box from a corner and delivered another cracking finish past the Cray keeper, who was being subjected to the usual banter from the Hamlet faithful. A comfortable 2-0 at half time.

15 mins into the second half and another speedy run down the left from Oztumer produced the goal of the game. His deep cross found Harry Ottaway who controlled it first time with his chest, took a touch and blasted it past the keeper from inside the box, cue madness from those of us behind the goal (hope someone got that on film!)

Ellis Green had switched to the right hand side when another crunching tackle on the edge of the Cray box put him out of the game. He was carried off on a stretcher and it didn't look good. Ellis had been fantastic as usual - I hope it's not too serious and he's back in the team soon. Almost everything decent we did came down the left and he'll be missed if he's out for a while. But his replacement, Nyren Clunis, picked up the baton down the left 5 mins later and delivered another deep cross, which our little hero Oztumer powered home with head from 8 yards. 4-0.

Oztumer then went off immediately for Karl Beckford, who had an ok stint. We lacked a bit of creativity after that though, and Cray managed to actually get in our half a few times and create some chances, but to no avail. Relegation candidates I reckon.

The only other incident of note was Cray's beast of a number 5, Danny Young, getting sent off in the 85th minute for a second yellow. Outpaced by Ottaway, he attacked our Harry from behind and deservedly got sent off - cheerio!

Reasonable crowd - about 500+ I reckon. [edited to add: it was 479.] Lots of friendly faces. Good performance from the Hamlet - we've taken to this division well. We should fear no one. We have the momentum. On we go!

Is there anything more fun than going to see the Hamlet at the moment?!!

My man of the match: Ellis Green (get well soon fella.)

Can you bring a pushbike into the ground with you? I think you can...
Yes, they're more than happy for you to take your bike in through the turnstiles - I do it most weeks now. Just lock it up to the wheelie bins or the random abandoned gym equipment behind the goal!

I reckon we had a few more of those metaphorical gears if we needed them. Cray Wanderers, the 3rd oldest club in the world, just weren't up to it, their game plan of being big and strong severely tested by them not really being big and strong. An odd thing about games like these is the more Dulwich rack up goals, the more we celebrate, and the more enraged we get at the defence's crumbling semblance of resistance. Bloodlust, perhaps. There's presumably a point, seven or eight perhaps, where we'll be demanding human sacrifice in the centre circle.

Looks like a stronger Ryman Premier this season with some decent sides. Have seen highlights of Maidstone's games and they look a very tidy side; would also expect Lowestoft to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season (apparently they had an "off-day" at Champion Hill). Also think Margate might do a bit better this year.

Do Hamlet have the squad to maintain their good start, do you think?

Back
Top Bottom