Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

One nil to Dulwich at half time. Hamlet struggling early against a bunch of big lower league goons, including an early penalty miss, but gradually getting on top and could be more than one up. Slightly odd goal - a huge penalty appeal and after everyone stopped to look at the ref for a bit Ellis Green decided he might as well tap it in.

Two nil full time. Oztumer penalty after Green was sent off. Hamlet were great seeing as Lowestoft are apparently favourites for the league. They're going to have to deal with a load if big dirty fuckers but they were streets ahead for skill today.

That was great. The season starts with enough creation myth for two civilisations. First, the sense of getting-away-with-it luck from the early penalty save and generally being under the big tough Lowestoft cosh for the opening twenty minutes. Second, the indignant rage of being cheated when Ellis Green got a red card for retaliation. In-between, it was Green himself who opened the scoring with a post-penalty-box-foul-confusion-ref-eventually-waves-play-on tap in and jump into the fans behind the goal. Lovely. That shook the Rabble out of its nervous new season pretending-to-be-asleep, after which we were pretty pumped up. A disallowed Dean Lodge goal just before half-time led to wide-scale mocking of the lino, but it was the sending off of Green in the second-half that truly enraged us. For a while the numerical difference was painfully obvious and an equaliser seemed inevitable, but Hamlet got themselves together and started to play again. A breakaway led to a penalty, squeezed in by Erhun Oztumer, sparking something close to delirium amongst the Rabble. Singing and dancing and my friend Joe screaming "communism's inevitable!!" in my face. It was as if the summer had never happened, we've picked up from where we finished last season both on the pitch and on the terrace. I get the terrible feeling we're giving the kids there the entirely inaccurate impression that football fandom is about having fun and expressing yourself.

As people wake up and recover from hangovers they'll start emailing me photos for the Brixton Buzz, hopefully have some good ones.

5npxfc.jpg

Thanks for the pics and match reports folks! As soon as I can start to function correctly after three days of madness at Boomtown Festival, I'll post then up.

I actually walked a fair distance around the site on Saturday just to find a spot where I could get a signal to check out the score :)

Thanks for the pics and match reports folks! As soon as I can start to function correctly after three days of madness at Boomtown Festival, I'll post then up.

I actually walked a fair distance around the site on Saturday just to find a spot where I could get a signal to check out the score :)

Feel free to use any of mine I post up. Had a great old time on Saturday. My second visit. Shall be going a lot more this season

1-2 away to Hendon in deepest, darkest, englandshirtest North London. About 70 away fans. A 37 year old Michael Duberry played for the home side and later tweeted "we got a footballing lesson in the first half by a very good @DulwichHamletFC team." We're looking good. Had to race off to my nightshift at the final whistle and was buzzing all night (and constantly giggling as I remembered some of the strange fan behaviour).
A quick observation: I really hate that Pitchhero site. It's shit. It takes ages to find anything.

Yeah, it's bollocks. Sometimes almost refreshingly bollocks, a two fingered salutation to the contemporary world, but often just frustrating and I doubt it helps newbies visit us. But remember, it's all done by volunteers who struggled maintaining the original site.

Yeah, it's bollocks. Sometimes almost refreshingly bollocks, a two fingered salutation to the contemporary world, but often just frustrating and I doubt it helps newbies visit us. But remember, it's all done by volunteers who struggled maintaining the original site.
I really appreciate their efforts, and I'm not blaming them - I'm blaming the horrible pitchhero format!

I really appreciate their efforts, and I'm not blaming them - I'm blaming the horrible pitchhero format!

Oh yeah, wasn't accusing you of accusing them etc. Perhaps the worst thing about Pitchhero is the autoplaying Premier League news video things, Robin van Persie's little finger strain means he'll have a late fitness test before picking his nose kinda thing. I support Dulwich Hamlet, I have risen above notions of sporting hierarchy, why the hell would I care?

Oooh, I forgot perhaps the most important detail from Monday night. After Harry Ottaway's first goal we sang 'Ottaway' to the tune of Holiday by Madonna, and after his second, in what was perhaps the greatest act of football chanting ever, 'Ottaway in Hendonia' to the tune of Holiday In Cambodia by the Dead Kennedys.

Oh, and if anyone's going to the game on Saturday, please take pics and post your reports here too, if you can!

BRzi3ZcCcAEMjQS.png:large
Oh, and if anyone's going to the game on Saturday, please take pics and post your reports here too, if you can!

Will ask around. The ones I took on my phone were awful, but I was able to whip others into action.

0-0. A strange late-Ballardian Little England citadel, a gated community of a football stadium. A shell of a club, to be quite frank. No longer a works team. But what exactly are they? No cops, no fans, no atmosphere. We 'out did' them almost by default. Some of us did have a long debate about whether we should do something protest-ish there, but reasoned it would probably go unseen, and we were proven right. All Met Police FC have is a relatively large amount of money (from a police lottery funding scheme, apparently) and good facilities, which makes them significantly more competitive than they ought to be. Think Chelsea and Man City are financially doped? Proportionately, they've got nothing on this moribund training complex of a club.

Still, it was another good Dulwich away day. We sang all game, screamed abuse... 'Noisy and jovial', said the Non-League Paper... Oh yes, jovially screaming "filth" and "pig" until I lost my voice.... All that was missing was that penetrative euphoria of The Goal. I was quite wound up, ready to explode, and just didn't get the glorious release. Alas. Tuesday it will have to be. Must say, for what was essentially a rather turgid goalless draw we fans had a great time, further convincing me of the liberating subjectivity of football. Football is not about football, comrades. The fan is the superstar!

And speaking of Tuesday and my auteur theory of fandom...

tumblr_mrptuv6whN1sn4d9xo1_500.png

Due to being away for 10 days, I've missed the three league games so far this season. Who's up for tomorrow night?

Pants Man magneze editor

Table is looking pretty good for us already....great to have some momentum so early in the season!

2ww2JY7.png

Back
Top Bottom