Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

We're gonna put some posters up - but where?

Ideas please people!

Copies will be limited but I was thinking:
- Ferndale Road 5 a side pitches (people who *play* football locally will hopefully be motivated enough to go and *watch* some locally)
- The Rec
- Those new poster cabinets around Brockwell Park
- Somewhere around the train station in Herne Hill
- Various pubs, if they'll let us
- Anywhere else....?

We're gonna put some posters up - but where?

Ideas please people!

Copies will be limited but I was thinking:
- Ferndale Road 5 a side pitches (people who *play* football locally will hopefully be motivated enough to go and *watch* some locally)
- The Rec
- Those new poster cabinets around Brockwell Park
- Somewhere around the train station in Herne Hill
- Various pubs, if they'll let us
- Anywhere else....?

Stamford Bridge? The Emirates?;)

Who's up for Shoreham in the cup on Saturday then?
First there's the small matter of the should-and-must win match away at Thamesmead Town tomorrow. The combination of the BBC weather report and Mishi's groundhopping blog post on their, ahem, stadium make this a mouthwatering prospect.

And FA Cup, yep, definitely, I'll be there. I hear their number 5 is "scum".

Last edited:
A lot of non-league clubs get really screwed over by having lots of postponed games in the winter, i.e. fixture congestion at the end of the season, loss of revenue from bars etc. If 3G grass helps them stay in business then I'm all for it. Not everyone can afford undersoil heating and a team of expert groundsmen.

Yes, the case made there is quite convincing tbh. Not just that part but the fact that it's getting regular use beyond the first team and bringing in regular income in a way a grass pitch can't stand up to.

A lot of non-league clubs get really screwed over by having lots of postponed games in the winter, i.e. fixture congestion at the end of the season, loss of revenue from bars etc. If 3G grass helps them stay in business then I'm all for it. Not everyone can afford undersoil heating and a team of expert groundsmen.
http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1160...united-s-successful-use-of-artificial-pitches
Fully understand and appreciate the business model, but fully hate the notion of fake grass. The weather is as much a part of football as anything else, and clubs have managed to get by on real grass for an awfully long time.

I really don't care what surface football is played on. Grass, astro, concrete, wood, clay, and even the bizarre springy uneven tarmac stuff in my junior school. But I think I'd rather see non-league football switched to summer, say March to November, with just evening games during the hottest months.

I'd prefer football to be played on grass, but I'm not against the new 3G pitches - they make sense, especially for lower/non-league clubs. The new 3G is so much better than the old 'plastic' pitches and looks realistic too. It's good to play on as well - and even some of the rubber/alternative surfaces are pretty good to play on now. Certainly preferable to some of the tarmac / redgras / hockey surfaces I used to play on, which would rip your knees to shreds.

Being a Luton fan, I've been through all this before. When we had the plastic pitch (1985 - 91) it really helped us financially (this was before the era of big money in the top flight) and we used to host boxing matches and bollywood film nights, as well as football (it enabled us to sell our training pitch at the time.) Even though ours wasn't as bad as QPRs, we got a lot of grief for it, despite football being played on a surface like this:

luton595.jpg

....being infinitely preferable (imo) to this:

article-2295492-18C4313F000005DC-667_964x642.jpg

The mud is fun though (until you lose because of it.)

But have no fear - cos the ancient old cunts at the FA won't be letting league clubs have artificial pitches anytime soon I reckon.

Just been pointed out to me that I can't spell "assoiciation".

Being a Luton fan, I've been through all this before. When we had the plastic pitch (1985 - 91) it really helped us financially (this was before the era of big money in the top flight) and we used to host boxing matches and bollywood film nights, as well as football (it enabled us to sell our training pitch at the time.)
Just watched some old footage of Luton in the 1980s. To be honest the thing that strikes me as the most bizarre is goalkeepers picking up backpasses, which I think tells us something about our ability to accept change.

Last edited:
Just been pointed out to me that I can't spell "assoiciation".
Yeah I did notice that - but I gave you the benefit of the doubt in case it was deliberate!

Just watched some old footage of Luton in the 1980s. To be honest the thing that strikes me as the most bizarre is goalkeepers picking up backpasses, which I think tells us something about our ability to accept change.
Yes, that is strange seeing goalies pick the ball up.

I remember a really windy day at Kenilworth Road on the plastic pitch v Liverpool, the game was televised, and Bruce Grobbelaar was trying to place the ball for a goal kick. The pitch was so smooth that every time he placed it and went to take his run up, the wind blew the ball away and he had to re-spot it. This happened about 6 times in a row. Massive pisstaking ensued!

Back
Top Bottom