Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

I'm early to catch the palace game. Shoreham have kid mascots. Nippy and drizzly but pitch, as usual,looks flawless.

Some words and pics from earlier. REALLY enjoyed the afternoon, catching up with some old faces and some fantastic football. Hope to be back soon.

6.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

To anyone baffled (as I was) as to the meaning behind this song:
"Tuscany, Tuscany! We're the famous Dulwich Hamlet, and we look like Tuscany!"
Here's the reason:
It brought back memories of the victorious grassroots campaign at the end of the eighties when local Dulwich Hamlet supporters successfully battled for a new Champion Hill Stadium, with the ever-popular Sainsburys' store on Dog Kennel Hill.

The main NIMBY, anti-Football Club protagonist John Beasley, stood up at public meetings comparing the hill, with its then corrigated iron surrounded adventure playground on one side, and run down, inter-war East Dulwich council flats on the other, to Tuscany!

East Dulwich may have its plus points -the local Football Club being one of them -but Tuscany it is not! To this day Hamlet fans bemuse opposition fans with one of their repertoire of songs: "Tuscany, Tuscany! We're the famous Dulwich Hamlet, and we look like Tuscany!".
http://www.southwarknews.co.uk/00,news,10720,5264,00.htm

It might be an idea to post up some of the chants here so new arrivals can swiftly get up to speed. Anyone fancy doing the honours?

Lovely tweet in response to my Dulwich photo report:
Jonathan Todd @Jonathan_Todd
@MonicaMonica1 Pictorial record of first match attended by our son brixtonbuzz.com/2013/09/fa-cup… via @Jason_Cobb @brixtonbuzz @DulwichHamletFC

I'll incrementally add some.

To the tune of Yellow Submarine...

Number one is Ellis Green!
Number two is Ellis Green!
Number three is Ellis Green!
Number four is Ellis Green!
He's Ellis Green! He's Ellis Green! He's Ellis Green! He's Ellis Green!
We all dream of a team of Ellis Greens,
A team of Ellis Greens,
A team of Ellis Greens!

(This once reached beyond "Number one-hundred is Ellis Green"... Over the course we went through just about every aspect of the human condition, including frenzied blood sacrifice ritual dancing.)

I'll incrementally add some.

To the tune of Yellow Submarine...

Number one is Ellis Green!
Number two is Ellis Green!
Number three is Ellis Green!
Number four is Ellis Green!
He's Ellis Green! He's Ellis Green! He's Ellis Green! He's Ellis Green!
We all dream of a team of Ellis Greens,
A team of Ellis Greens,
A team of Ellis Greens!

(This once reached beyond "Number one-hundred is Ellis Green"... Over the course we went through just about every aspect of the human condition, including frenzied blood sacrifice ritual dancing.)

Erhan Oztumer's Song:
I heard a rumour,
About Oztumer,
He came from Turkey,
To bring us joy.
He's 5 foot 2,
He's pink & blue
Please don't take my Erhan away

Song when ever he does something amazing, which is generally every game!

♫ L-l-l-l-l-l-L-loooyyy, DULWICH HAMLET!!! ♫ (repeated, mercilessly)

(This one comes from Erhun Oztumer's extended family/friends, who for the big games last season turned up en mass with hand drums and would chant about DHFC to Turkish tunes. This one was the simplest and best, and we began to adopt it during the title run-in. At our last away game of the season at Herne Bay, with maybe 200 of us there, winning 1-0, we sang this whilst jumping & dancing for about ten minutes solid when Erhun curled a free-kick in. Cue euphoric pandemonium, a recovering alcoholic producing plastic cups and bottles of vodka & coke for everyone else, and even tears of pure joy. Possibly my best moment in football.)

To the tune of Duchess by The Stranglers...

Vidal of Dulwich,
He's going up.
They said he never will.
Sits in the midfield,
Sprays around passes,
Says he's got attacks to kill,
Attacks to kill.
And the Rabble are warming up!
Warming up!
And Adeniyi will lift the cup!
Lift the cup!
Vidal! Vidal!
Vidal! Vidal!

(One of the masterworks by Burty. Even after his likely move to professional football this one will probably remain a favourite as Xavier scored the goal which won the championship last year. One nice touch about this was the day it was premiered he excitedly tweeted post-match, "I got a song!!!")

There's also, "Xavier VI-DAAAAA-AAAA-AAALLL, Xavier Vidal, Vidal!" to the tune of Ring My Bell.

Is anyone going to this 'Isthmian Shield' Mickey Mouse affair tonight? Likely to be lots of rested players. I might sneak in for free at half-time (at a charity game, what a cunt). Couldn't even be arsed to do a proper poster for this one...

1186183_10153238087835453_341752795_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom