Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

I've got a tech launch party in trendy Shoreditch involving vats of free beer so I hope Hamlet will forgive me for not making this one tonight.

Well... that was a meaningless game, a pre-season friendly foolishly placed during the actual season, a true example of shallow play... but we still made more noise than most fans at this level, even those of us who snuck in at halftime (and it was still preferable to watching the Champions League of television).

Is anyone going to this 'Isthmian Shield' Mickey Mouse affair tonight? Likely to be lots of rested players. I might sneak in for free at half-time (at a charity game, what a cunt). Couldn't even be arsed to do a proper poster for this one...

1186183_10153238087835453_341752795_n.jpg
Great work again on the poster :D

Our players looked a little underwhelmed when lifting the shield (certainly compared to the title win) but fucking hell, look at the size of that trophy. I reckon Turvey must have chosen it in order to demonstrate his magnificent importance to football at this level.

BUZIgg_IIAAWa-y.jpg

editor I might be tempted by Margate away...

Some people on twitter were very upset indeed about Jonathan Wilson's inclusion. Like they couldn't (a) understand that a few of the 'enemies' were a tad whimsical, and (b) realise that, perhaps, in the 7th tier of regionalised football we're slightly less fetishistic about tactical analysis cos we're too busy getting drunk and chanting.

Some people on twitter were very upset indeed about Jonathan Wilson's inclusion. Like they couldn't (a) understand that a few of the 'enemies' were a tad whimsical, and (b) realise that, perhaps, in the 7th tier of regionalised football we're slightly less fetishistic about tactical analysis cos we're too busy getting drunk and chanting.
what did Terry Eagleton do?

I think a leftist anti-football argument could be made, particularly about aspects of the atomised televisual and banterific forms of consumption, but Eagleton doesn't know anywhere near enough about the game to make it. His concentration on nationalism is three or four decades out-of-date and he just sounds like someone who is distrustful of autonomous grassroots collective identity. Shame, as he's usually very good.

More DHFC chants...

No tune, just belted out:

FIG! FIG! FIG! FIG!

(The origin of this one is very hazy. It's been going since the 80s. I've heard several different explanations, my favourite being that there was once a linesman with an ill-fitting toupée* so the Dulwich fans, quite predictably, gave him hell for this, chanting "wig!!" continuously which then evolved into "fig". When enough people join in it can be almost spine-tingling, especially at certain away grounds where the acoustics are just right - it echos off decrepit tin roofs rather splendidly.

* = What kind of masochist decides [a] to be a non-league lino, and to do so wearing an obvious toupée?!?! Staggering.)

To the tune of some old song, I don't know which, maybe a hymn:

Edgar Kail in my heart, keep me Dulwich,
Edgar Kail in my heart, I pray.
Edgar Kail in my heart, keep me Dulwich,
Keep me Dulwich till my dying day.
No Surrender!
No Surrender!
No surrender to the Tooting scum!

(Edgar Kail, the last player from an amateur club to play for England, is DHFC's all-time leading goalscorer and still regarded as a hero. As for the "no surrender" line, don't worry, I'm reliably informed it was adopted way back as a deliberate pisstake of the far right. A couple of West Belfast Catholics have told me they've really enjoyed the chance to finally chant it for once. In the words of my wife, "It's really catchy, no wonder the prods can't stop singing it.")

To the tune of the famous Millwall chant:

We are Dulwich.
We are Dulwich.
Super Dulwich!
From the Hill!
We are Dulwich.
Super Dulwich!
We are Dulwich,
From the Hill!
No-one knows us,
No-one knows us!
No-one knows us,
We don't care!
We are Dulwich.
Super Dulwich!
We are Dulwich,
From the Hill!
HHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

(This one apparently really pisses off Millwall fans, eager to protect The Project's brand no doubt...)

I'm not around tomorrow but I would love it if some kind folks could take a few snaps and maybe jot down a few words so I can make a post on BrixtonBuzz.

so, whose up for it tomorrow? i'm bringing a buddy to try and convert him to non-league football.
Definitely, I reckon this could be the last good weathered saturday kick-off of the year so let's go out and have some fun. Let's cheer winning throw-ins!
To anyone baffled (as I was) as to the meaning behind this song:
"Tuscany, Tuscany! We're the famous Dulwich Hamlet, and we look like Tuscany!"
I'm hearing rumours that a fan has acquired a Tuscan regional flag to further baffle people.

Going to Open House at the sally army college tomorrow lunchtime, which coincidentally is just down the road from the ground. And the wife's out all day. Might just be there :)

My first Hamlet game: 1-0 and deserved. Lots of hoofing it in the first half, but the 2nd much more tightly contested. I've got no idea who was who, but I saw some very nice footwork from the hamlet forwards.
Entertaining stuff. I think the Ellis Green song got up to number 72 or so.
Man of the match Phil Wilson without a doubt. A series of stunning saves.

I went in the pound shop on the way and looked for pink and blue. Bought 2 strings of tinsel. Went down well.

I went in the pound shop on the way and looked for pink and blue. Bought 2 strings of tinsel. Went down well.
Loved it. Tinsel all round, I say.

And oh my days, Phil Wilson in the last 20 or so minutes! I reckon it was the finest goalkeeping display I've ever seen. Preposterously great stuff from Phil, like a big cat protecting its sickly young from a pack of depraved Essex hyenas. Indeed, we were having kittens just watching it. Time to open a sanctuary. The fact we were hanging on 1-0 just made it even better. Glorious, glorious, glorious. Two points off 1st place now. It's compacted at the top, like someone heavily constipated with football entertainment. Woooo! SUPER DULWICH HAMLET

Back
Top Bottom