Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

I don't think it would piss me off so much were it not for the fact that singing that song seems to me part of an attempt to impose some sort of collective political identity on a group of fans who have been going to Dulwich for, let's face it, far longer than the majority of people in this thread (obviously including myself) have.
I get your point,but I think you're getting a bit carried away there. It was only a relatively small amount of people singing that song and that was only because they were playing the Met Police.

If they sang it at every game, then you'd have a point.

Erm, sorry to disrupt your narrative, but an old-school fan started the Harry Roberts song off. And anyway, unfortunately we're already associated with murderers by playing in the same league as the Met...

Edit: Thinking about this a bit more, hang on a minute. (1) Met Police FC get this sorta thing every game (according to the manager). (2) We dish out ridiculous regional insults to most teams we play (and I've heard people be taken aback by it). So, it seems to me that as long as it's foundless banter it's okay, but when the usual pantomime stuff might actually refer to a real world discourse then suddenly it becomes 'political' and bad. That's totally hilarious! If anything this is an attempt to impose a collective apathetic identity.

Anyway, I'm quite excited about Saturday as my ex's 14 year old son should be holidaying in South London and will hopefully be coming to the game. Looking forward to him seeing and hearing what goes on at Champion Hill.

Though I do think we need to up our pink & blue game...

OsakaFans.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm aware of it being an old-school fan who would have started the song, and sorry for the generalisation. As I said in my first post, it's less the specific instance that's getting on my nerves than what I see as a fairly accelerated attempt to start representing Dulwich as the English St Pauli at every turn. While that might come true over time (and, obviously, I'd probably quite enjoy that myself) I do think there's something a bit forced about it at the moment. Maybe it's just where my head's at.

Also - as if I have a problem linking football and politics in general. It's just that I think that the negotiations around how groups of fans behave themselves have an inherently, and complicatedly, political dimension.

I think it's one thing dishing out regional banter and quite another glorifying the man who killed three innocent people.

Exactly!! I could not care one little bit a bit about politics or political views just singing that song or similar is in pretty poor taste, whoever started it!!

I get your point,but I think you're getting a bit carried away there. It was only a relatively small amount of people singing that song and that was only because they were playing the Met Police.

If they sang it at every game, then you'd have a point.

i'll remember that sort of handy rationalisation next time millwall are dragged through the mud when a few of our more moronic fans bring turkey flags to leeds games. "it only happens when we play leeds, guv"

I wasn't there last night but to hear that the Harry Roberts song was sung isn't a great thing to hear!!

People can sing what they like of course but personally I would be embarrassed to hear that sung by the "rabble" that is not what I thought we was about?!?

If you substitute Harry Roberts for any of these people:
and "he killed coppers" to " Killed by coppers" you can change a dodgy 70's hooly chant into anti police brutalty chant..... just a thought.

just my two pence :)

Yeah, I'm aware of it being an old-school fan who would have started the song, and sorry for the generalisation. As I said in my first post, it's less the specific instance that's getting on my nerves than what I see as a fairly accelerated attempt to start representing Dulwich as the English St Pauli at every turn. While that might come true over time (and, obviously, I'd probably quite enjoy that myself) I do think there's something a bit forced about it at the moment. Maybe it's just where my head's at.

Also - as if I have a problem linking football and politics in general. It's just that I think that the negotiations around how groups of fans behave themselves have an inherently, and complicatedly, political dimension.

I think this season its seemed far less political when I first came up - less che guevara posters and political flags about than there was....

I dont think anyone is trying to make Dulwich the English St Pauli and I'm sure the Altona fans wouldnt be to happy about that :) I think it has naturally evolved to something that you can have comparisons with St Pauli.....small club in a big city with passionate fans who want to have a party no matter what...but that's a good thing right? And is what makes us different and fun to support... rather than a political force of south london.....

sport and politcs are always going be linked but I just want have a beer and a fag and singsong with like-minded folks... away from the modern game

Exactly!! I could not care one little bit a bit about politics or political views just singing that song or similar is in pretty poor taste, whoever started it!!

If people found the song in poor taste then it’s fair to say so and to be fair not have it sung in the future as we should be a unit and not squabbling.....whichever way you see it.... However I think we need to be careful here because 3 50yr + men shouting you blonde dirty essex cunt at an innocent 20 year old keeper is pretty harsh and bullying but that’s accepted as banter…. This wasn’t racist homophobic or sexist abuse……

i'll remember that sort of handy rationalisation next time millwall are dragged through the mud when a few of our more moronic fans bring turkey flags to leeds games. "it only happens when we play leeds, guv"

I think that's actually slightly different these guys playing aren't police.....and have no fans.... and probably aren't family friends of the policemen killed..... and so the song wasnt sung to directly (even if it has inadvertently) hurt people like your "moronic" fans were doing...

and "he killed coppers" to " Killed by coppers" you can change a dodgy 70's hooly chant into anti police brutalty chant..... just a thought.

I like this idea buy isnt that making it even more political than singing a song about dead coppers........ and RIP Seni went to uni with him and was a nice chap...feel bad for his family.... so people check out the link...

anyway I'm a 5 minute clueless cunt....

Edit "I just want have a beer and a fag and singsong " I actually prefer cider...

Last edited:
To be honest I think the Met Police thing is a load of nothing. As Scutta says none of them are coppers and no-one goes to watch them - they're barely linked to the Met any more. So I don't really care if people sing offensive songs but equally I don't really buy that doing it is a meaningful poltical point.

The point about trying to impose a particular identity on the club/fans is more interesting. What's happening at Dulwich is brilliant but I can see there's a danger of a load of new people turning up and trying to take over a bit.

Good post, mate. It isn't fans being political I have a problem with in any case - I generally think it's a good thing - it's the weird sense I've got recently that people (and I have heard/ seen this) saying 'Dulwich fans/ The Rabble ARE left-wing/ anticapitalist/ whatever'. It potentially rubs people up the wrong way.

Also, I'm pretty squarely of the mindset that singing songs about 'killing coppers' is about as political as when we were thirteen and used to scratch anarchy symbols onto the desks at school. It hardly does anything to redress any of the multiple injustices the Met have been involved in this decade/ year/ month/ week.

As we've argued consistently on Deep Play, there is already something implicitly political about choosing to go and support your local team rather than one of the PL behemoths. It's inextricably linked to community and relies on collective effort/ unity (even solidarity). The problem comes when people try and project their politics onto a whole group, which can be alienating.

Good post, mate. It isn't fans being political I have a problem with in any case - I generally think it's a good thing - it's the weird sense I've got recently that people (and I have heard/ seen this) saying 'Dulwich fans/ The Rabble ARE left-wing/ anticapitalist/ whatever'. It potentially rubs people up the wrong way.

Also, I'm pretty squarely of the mindset that singing songs about 'killing coppers' is about as political as when we were thirteen and used to scratch anarchy symbols onto the desks at school. It hardly does anything to redress any of the multiple injustices the Met have been involved in this decade/ year/ month/ week.

but you can see where people might get that idea when everyone's shouting about communism and there is the communist anti fascist flags and banners being hung up occasionally :D

haha exactly but Im sure if you asked most people us being political or not they would look at us and say we are there singing shouting running around and acting like thirteen year olds anyway..... and i love it :D

Last edited:
I don't think this needs to turn into an existential debate on the general nature of Hamlet fans. In terms of the specifics - I didn't sing about Harry Roberts as I didn't know who he was until I internet searched him later on that evening. It seems if we wanted to make it more relevant to the modern era, his name could be replaced with Dale Cregan's. Now, I tend not to advocate the killing of anyone in a literal sense. I can't think of anyone who I actually wish were dead regardless of how odious their actions or opinions may be. The Wikipedia entry for Harry Roberts makes him sound like a right cunt, and I certainly don't think that he is in any way a valid cause celebre for highlighting police brutality.

On the other hand, as mentioned above, those affected by his actions are very few and the likelyhood of anyone at the game being relatives or friends of the victims is absolutely minute and it would be very unfortunate indeed if they were at the game on Tuesday. The comparison with Millwall fans waving Turkish flags is, I think, very different, as it was most likely that there were friends or family of the those who were killed in Istanbul were at the game. It can only be construed as a deliberate attempt to provoke those at the game. The Met Police team is not represented by real policemen and the songs were an attack on what the club's roots rather than an attempt to incite violence or to provoke.

When the word "kill" is used, I'm sure none of us mean it literally - Australian cricket fans have been famous for advocating that their players "kill" the opposition players but I don't think that any of them are actually asking for touring teams to be murdered, they just want to see yet another Australian victory. I am aware that they are also notorious for having a sizeable vocal racist contingent - that is obviously not defensible. The only thing that I would be massively concerned about is some of the kids picking up on some of the things said and thinking that it is OK to have some quite unpleasant views. Children don't always get the nuances of adult humour and may not understand why things are being said. I remember hearing one of our younger fans (I will not name them as I don't think it's fair) saying some questionable things to an opposition goalie once, and have been somewhat careful to tailor my message when they are in earshot sometimes.

The point that I am trying to make is that we need to self-regulate and we can't let things get out of hand. For some people the point at which things go too far is a lot earlier than others. We all love to vent at the football and some people have more reason to dislike the police than others. It's good that we're having this chat though.

Or alternatively we could just concentrate on gettng behind our own team and reinforcing Gavin Rose's recent comment that we have the best supporters in the league who always give encouragement even when we've just lost.

Any sort of chant slagging off the opposition is really just empty noise - e.g really bland stuff like "Is that all you take away" etc. (Especially as many of the people singing that at games probably don't go to away games themselves.)

If people found the song in poor taste then it’s fair to say so and to be fair not have it sung in the future as we should be a unit and not squabbling.....whichever way you see it.... However I think we need to be careful here because 3 50yr + men shouting you blonde dirty essex cunt at an innocent 20 year old keeper is pretty harsh and bullying but that’s accepted as banter…. This wasn’t racist homophobic or sexist abuse……...

Not sure which game this was or who was responsible, but certainly not "banter" in my book. Embarrassing, dimwitted and crass at the least.

I'm reminded as to why I don't like this forum...it makes you think too much! ;-)
Anyway, here's my input to the 'old bill' debate on here.
Yes, I did start the Harry Roberts song. A song that has been sung at football grounds up and the country in the past, and will continue to do so. It has been sung in the past at Hamlet matches too, now and again. The reason I sing it IS to rile the police. Nothing more nothing less. I know very little about Harry Roberts, apart from the fact he killed two coppers before I was born.
But I do know that all through my adult life, and as a 'juvenile' as a teenager, I have experienced the police go well beyond their remit in bullying, beatings, and totally breaking the law, at both football and on demo's, knowing they are almost certainly beyond reproach, with their word being taken over that of ordinary people who happen to be a different colour, working class, a football fan, or a trade unionist....for example, or a combination of those. I do not like the police and never will! Sometimes people ask me who I would call if my house was burgled. Yes, of course it would be the police. We DO need a police force, but we need an accountable one, & I do not believe that will ever happen. as far as I am concerned: the police are a neccessary evil...I do not have to like them1
Of course, I know a few serving officers, or ex-police. Without a doubt they are nice people, and I would be upset if anything happened to them, but that is only because I know them as individuals, and to be honest, I am always careful what I might say in front of them, in case something slips out in conversation which might 'interest them'. The bottom line is there is no such thing as an off-duty copper, and they are always on the listen for snippets, no matter how friendly. I do not trust them at all. I have no confidence in them, even when they 'do their job'.
Going back to Harry Roberts, if it riles the opposition then that's good enough for me, because of the very establishment institution they represent. As people have said he almost certainly was a nasty bastard, but he also now a very old man, who is only now still incarcerated because he is a 'political prisoner', and not because of his crime. He is simply going to rot in jail because he is Harry Roberts, and not because of his actual crime. He should have been released on licence a long time ago. I don't think, if he was ever released, he would be thinking of shooting anyone, whether it be coppers, or you or me.
Also going back to the chants on Tuesday...the only reason I started the Harry Roberts one, was because some of the others were singing some (my words) 'stupid wanky non football' All Coppers Are Bastards ditty, that i both never knew, and in my 'old school' head sounded fucking stupid for a football match, so I let rip with an old fashioned one. I'm certainly not going to apologise for that. As for the 'Kill The Bill' chant...that came spontaneously from me when there was a mass outbreak of handbags between the two teams on the pitch, and no worse than at other games, when the same thing might happen and individuals might shout 'do the Essex cunts!' or something similar.
Someone mentioned singing the 'Harry Roberts' song is not what the 'Rabble' is about. Well it's not what's sung at every game, and it was simply because of the opposition. If that was the case then i would be a bit more concerned. Personally I get more offended and embarrassed when some people sing the 'tits, fanny and Dulwich' chant. Each to their own. Or scream at an opposition player, or referee, calling them a cunt. So some things are acceptable, but some not?
The other week I was one of a dozen fans who made the trip to Leiston, on a Tuesday night. It was depressing...and not just because the performance on the pitch was below what we've grown used to. There was no singing, very little getting behind the team, but lots of negative, loud '"Oh come on Dulwich..this is rubbish" "shit" type of comments, which I found so depressing. It was like watch Dulwich six years ago, when there was very few fans going to away games, home crowds were in the very low hundreds, and I went to games out of habit, not something to look forward to, enjoy and be excited about. I was feeling down that night...because I had seen the past and don't want to go back.
For that, I can certainly cope with some of the 'new breed' of fan, whether their trying to create some sort of 'leftie enclave' or not. I don't think they're trying to 'convert' people to their cause, and don't think that's possible...but the spirit and fun these sort of fans are bringing to games is without a doubt encouraging more to come to games...and matchdays would be a lot duller without them. Their attitude is also helped is that my political outlook is generally extremely and broadly on the left.
I agree that courtesy works both ways...I think I have embraced the newer fans and love it, but I also know there are some that think you (& therefore by association me) are a pain in the arse. But across the board, I think the majority are behind us all, as it does increase the atmosphere and the total buzz about the Club, and portrays the Club, overall, in a very good light. And there are a few in the minoirty, who wil never be happy, no matter what.
With regard to Millwall in the Seventies and running off the National Front, well, I shal ltake the posters word for that...but I do know for a fact that at the start of the eighties the same National Front were active, in what numbers I do not know, outside the Cold Blow Lane end. So they may have been 'run' before that, but certainly came back and r-established themselves for a time. How do I know that? I was at school in Peckham at the time, and Millwall supporting mates always brought copies of the NF youth paper 'Bulldog' into school, and I saw it on sale when I went down The Den with them, even sometimes buying a copy myself, Personally I would have no problem with any group on the left leafleting at a Hamlet game..you may not agree with their views, but they do not discrimate against our players or fans, as the far right do.
With regard to becoming the 'English St Pauli'...well that's CLEARLY not going to happen. But I see nothing wrong with a group of lefties/anarchists/whoevers enjoying and leading the atmosphere at Champion Hill, which then spirals by attracting 'more of the same sort'. To be honest, Joe, your podcasts are helping to build that 'monster' that you are starting to dislike, and you can't have it both ways.
I can see the point comparing 'Harry Roberts' to Millwall fans with Turkey flags when they play Leeds...but there IS a huge subtle difference...Firstly, the Leeds thing is done deliberately to provoke opposition fans not the team. It is clear incitement to cause trouble. That could not happen at our games with the Met Police football team, as they have no fans. Secondly, Leeds United are not a state institution that many people dislike for a variety of football reasons. They are just a football team. Rightly or wrongly, the Met football team are seen as part of a state instution...well you know the politics, depends where your own views are really. Wouldn't mind us being an English altona though! ;-)
Agreed...a lot of their players are not coppers anymore, but AT LEAST half of their First Team squad are! And all of their officials (like our committee) are. And they are funded by serving and ex-police. Contrary to 'popular urban footballing myth' they are not dunded by our taxes, but through a Metropolitan Police internal lottery type thing, with big prizes. All of the funds raised are divvied up between the various police sports sections. The football section, as in the club we play, supply all of the players for the National Police Cup competition, and they are usually in the semi's or the final, and you MUST be a serving officer to play in that. They are VERY MUCH a police side, just one that allows a percentage of 'outsiders'.
With regard to what the 'Rabble' are...well as someone who has been part of 'The Rabble' since the phrase was first coined and adopted in the late eighties at the old ground...'The Rabble' is simple the group of fans who stand and sing behind the goal at home games. It is a very generalised name, and has no leaders, or political beliefs. It's just a group of fans who like singing and having a laugh....long may that continue. If individuals are leftie/anti-capitalist/middle class tossers/ whatever...then so be it. But 'The Rabble' has always just been a collective name for the loyal fans who go home and away. Nothing more, nothing less. And long may that continue...
As for people waffling on about communism, or whatever, it's inevitable that people chat about what they like. We'vw had the likes of Hutty waffling on for years, long before the new lot came along, and nobody ever shut him up! ;-) as for a wide range of flags...well if they don't discriminate against anyone then I have no problem with them. If you want 'less' of them then bring your own 'non-political' ones, and the 'political' ones will be in the minority.
To finish, with the mention of some abuse hurled at the Canvey keeper, it's the same abuse that could have, and has been in similar circumstances, by one or two on here, who criticise the Harry Roberts chant so strongly.
Proves we will never agree...and some things are always 'excused' by 'being drunk' eh?
Been great to have this discussion, and for people offering various views...now can we all get back to doing what we do best...supporting Dulwich Hamlet for ninety minutes and more!
"EDGAR KAIL IN MY HEART KEEP ME DULWICH!..."

Last edited:
fairly accelerated attempt to start representing Dulwich as the English St Pauli at every turn.
Okay, where is this happening? I think this is nonsense, not least when you've got a genuine example of another non-league club over the Thames literally doing it. A handful of (relatively) young fans who need a shave and happen to be left wing does not make an "accelerated attempt to start representing Dulwich as the English St Pauli". And besides, we don't sell toasters. Perhaps this group have become more visible by singing more (predominantly the old songs) and jumping around etc. but really, come on, shall we avoid that lest anyone from afar thinks we're German communists?

You could more accurately say me (with the Voodoo Stick) and G-Man (with the hat) are forcing an eccentric attention-seeking identity on the fan base, which we probably are, but should we be stopped?

I'm too busy trying to recreate Cardiff City circa 1993.

Howsabout just Dulwich Hamlet 1893 - for future football....................(WHICH I THINK IS MORE PRESSING WITH THE STATE OF THE CLUB ATM) oops sorry caps :)

Also, you know what, I'm sick of everything being boiled down to St. Fucking Pauli. At times it seems like anything other than just standing there completely still is open to accusations of trying to be St. Bastard Pauli. I don't care.

haha trying to be!!! I think we're better we've certainly already won the moral victory

That's me told.

Actually, since I've jibbed some marking to respond to this (check out my dedicated professionalism), maybe I should. First of all, I think football and politics are always intertwined, whether you consider yourself to be a 'political' person or not. It's unavoidable. And I think that it's fucking great that at Dulwich - which was very much not the case at my former club - racism is considered completely intolerable, there's no room for homophobia, female fans are/ seem to be treated exactly the same as male fans and so on. So far, so good.

Vornstyle, I can see why you'd get sick of the St Pauli thing. It's a facile comparison. But that's exactly what I was trying to point out: we've spoken, at length, before about a certain club where we think new fans are simply trying to transplant a kind of engagement - a European ultra culture - into an environment with no respect to what's already, organically there. What I, and I think you, like about going to Dulwich is that people tend to bond, and that there certainly has been no real opportunity for people to set up some kind of hipster enclave. In a spirit of properly Marxist self-criticism (because I know, Mishi, that I'm part of the monster-creation project you refer to above), what I'm doing is trying to ask a question about the politics/ ethics of making an equation between a group of supporters who have traditionally been a pretty disparate lot and a particular political outlook. I'm not trying to do anyone down individually by any means: I'd consider everyone I know on here a mate; hopefully they'd reciprocate!

Feeling utterly defensive now so will probably mutter something about my leftist credentials - massive pay deductions for striking, plenty of published leftist writing and so on - and then slink off to, as we say in Co Durham, give my head a shake. I personally think it's better to have discussions like this than not. Oh, and Mishi - I agree that the worst thing about being a supporter is relentless negativity. It's yet another reason whey I barely bother with Darlo any longer - amazed at how few times I've heard people at Dulwich yell 'that was shite' after a chance is missed or something like that. Whatever else can be said about our fans, they get behind the team better, or at least as well as, any group of supporters I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom