Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

So had a chat with my mate……

Re lowestoft bans….. the two they banned were nowhere near the manager when the alleged incident happened….they collected witness statements from Lowestoft and Carshalton fans that confirmed this. The chairman alledgedly would not show any statements from people who apparently saw it and just banned these two and then decided to ban 4 others at the same time (who had previous bans and were just sent that letter out of the blue). The chairman alledgedly even rang one of the fans work place (a local college) and asked them to sack him because he had been banned from the club (wtf)….. The chairman alledgedly also hasn’t been to a game in fourteen months….

Re the kit and badge he changed it without consulting anyone and apparently it wasn’t to an old badge or colours….

Apparently the fan base has dropped dramatically because of this there is no singing as all the people are banned stopped going or afraid to sing as they may get banned…..sounds like a sorry state of affairs really…..

I think solidarity needs to be shown…thinking of a subtle banner something like “fans against bans….”

updated this on the other thread too..
http://fansagainstcriminalisation.blogspot.co.uk/

meh, sometimes we lose. losing in canvey must be a bummer but ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

hope you lot who went had a good time despite the scoreline.

Shit performance really. Unlike the Canvey Islanders, we just couldn't get used to the wind. Mass brawl broke out which resulted in Gavin getting sent to the stands. He looked fucking miserable.

But football isn't only about football. My main memory of today will be the glorious chanting and banging on the train back to Fenchurch Street and walking towards Tower Hill. A splendid racket. We're great. Don't get me wrong, I desperately want Dulwich to win every game, and get really indignant when we don't, but you can still have a lot of fun in spite of losing. We certainly looked like we had a better day than the home fans.

Last edited:
there were lot of confused tourists on tower bridge especially when everyone was shouting at them to turn around as it wasnt worth going to north london!

And i feel sorry for the poor git we accosted for having a jack wills bag he didn't have a clue :D

jack-wills-carrier-bag-profile.jpg

So who's going on Tuesday then? Wonder what kind of side Gav will put out as we continue on the road to whatever-ground-the-county-fa-choose-to-host-the-final-at.

Hasn't got quite the same ring as 'Wembley' has it?

Many moons ago, back in my drinking days, we had a First Team game away to Kingstonian, it was probably '92, as there was a delay with the new ground opening, so reserve fixtures were all over the place. The Reserves had an early Saturday night game at Croydon Athletic, so a frw of us doubled up with that. Ended up in a pub opposite Streatham station and a bloke asked me what rugby shirt I was wearing. Now I'd had 'a few', this was back in my drinking prime, and I responded something like : "Fucking rugby shirt? You wanna come outside for a scrum you cunt?'...he declined. I think I have a vague recollection of this, but not entirely sure if I think I can recall from those who were present regaling me with the tale...

So who's going on Tuesday then? Wonder what kind of side Gav will put out as we continue on the road to whatever-ground-the-county-fa-choose-to-host-the-final-at.

Hasn't got quite the same ring as 'Wembley' has it?

I'll be there! cant wait.... dont mind what team to be honest as long as they are in pink and blue! I imagine he will rest Erhun but its good to see how the team copes without him anyway.

What's the news on Gavin after his sending off will he be suspended from the dugout for this or the next league game?

editor I took a few crap photographs which are on facebook, you're welcome to use for a brixton buzz although they aren't that good! I imagine someone has better... Joel was at the game so he has quite a few good ones!

There was a report on Sky Sports News last night about Maidstone and their 3G pitch; I know this was the subject of discussion a few pages back.

Anyway, the Maidstone chairman (I think) was pretty bullish about their chances of winning a legal challenge to allow them to continue to play on the surface if they got promoted.

There was a report on Sky Sports News last night about Maidstone and their 3G pitch; I know this was the subject of discussion a few pages back.

Anyway, the Maidstone chairman (I think) was pretty bullish about their chances of winning a legal challenge to allow them to continue to play on the surface if they got promoted.
Hmm, outside of the pros and cons arguments, it doesn't seem fair that one team gets to play on a surface that others aren't so familiar with.

editor I took a few crap photographs which are on facebook, you're welcome to use for a brixton buzz although they aren't that good! I imagine someone has better... Joel was at the game so he has quite a few good ones!
I'll take a look later - any match reports from anyone?

Hmm, outside of the pros and cons arguments, it doesn't seem fair that one team gets to play on a surface that others aren't so familiar with.
The report seemed sympathetic and the point was made that more clubs could/should install similar services as it generated income and meant that seasons weren't disrupted by waterlogged pitches.

The counter argument is that all the teams in the division will only have to play on the 3G pitch once per season, whereas Maidstone will have to continually shift between grass and 3G each week, having to adjust their playing style each time.

I'm not saying which is right or wrong…. (there's a thread for that...)

To be honest, when Luton had an artificial pitch in the 80s, the thing I hated most about it was that it made everyone else in football totally hate us (on top of the away fans ban and having a Tory cunt mate of Thatcher's as a Chairman) and belittle our success as one of the best footballing sides in the country at the time.

The counter argument is that all the teams in the division will only have to play on the 3G pitch once per season, whereas Maidstone will have to continually shift between grass and 3G each week, having to adjust their playing style each time.
Except they'll be playing on it 50% of the time, whereas all the other teams will be only playing on it for a fraction of that time - hence advantage Maidstone.

Statement has gone up from the supporters trust:
After months of uncertainty and speculation, it is now clear that the freehold of Dulwich Hamlet’s football ground at Champion Hill has been (or shortly will be) acquired by the Hadley Property Group.

One of the Supporters’ Trust’s key objectives since its creation has been to ensure that the Football Club has a secure, long term future at a ground at its traditional home and to this end the Trust secured designation of the current ground as ‘Other Open Space’ in 2007 and listing as an Asset of Community Value in 2013. This overall objective remains unchanged.

It is clear that the Football Club is entering a time of potentially unprecedented change in four fundamental and inter-related areas:
- who owns and runs the Football Club, what structure that takes and what involvement the supporters have in this;
- where the Football Club plays, what associated facilities and businesses it has, and how much it pays for a lease;
- how the Football Club becomes financially viable, self sustaining and transparent – spending no more than it receives in income;
- what facilities are available to the wider local community and role the Football Club plays within it.

These are huge questions and the Trust welcomes the fact that the Football Club has called an open public meeting at 5.15pm after the game on Saturday 22nd February to start to communicate its position. We urge all supporters to attend to hear for themselves what their thinking is.

Finally, with the forthcoming months promising such fundamental change (perhaps for the better, but unfortunately perhaps not), the Supporters’ Trust itself needs to develop and grow to meet the challenge. The Trust is a voluntary organisation and the current Board members all have day jobs – if the Trust is to serve and represent its growing membership and the wider supporter base properly in through the changes that lie ahead it really does need, and will warmly welcome, fresh blood and additional pairs of hands.

So if you care about the future of the club and want to play a part in helping to shape it on behalf of the supporters, don’t just sit back and let others do it – please come and see us at the club shop at home games or send an email to info@dhst.org.uk and GET INVOLVED!

http://dhst.org.uk/trust-statement-on-latest-developments/

I know it's a bit late in the season, but I've just remembered me and Scutta were talking about sponsoring a player - is anyone up for it?

We get our name in the programme every week and we get the player's shirt at the end of the season. I think it's 60 quid - anyone fancy chipping in? If a few of us do it, it would make it affordable at something like 5 or 10 quid each and we could draw lots for the shirt.

From the programme it looks like players still available are Dean Lodge, Mathieu Boyer, Ian Daly, Ahmed Deen, Jerome Walker, Abdul Mansaray and a few others.

Anyone interested? :)

Last edited:
Statement has gone up from the supporters trust:

To be honest I am extremely disappointed with this statement, whic as far as I am concerned, offers nothing. Tony Blairs spin doctors would have been proud of it!
I just read it from the link on the unofficial forum, and posted this reply on there:

To be honest I'd more like to see an actual statement on what the Trust would like to see, rather than 'waffle' that simply acts as a membership drive.
I'm a bit perplexed by this comment in the statement:
"Finally, with the forthcoming months promising such fundamental change (perhaps for the better, but unfortunately perhaps not)..."
It's the 'unfortunately perhaps not'.
Can the person who wrote this please explain it, because that makes no sense to me....
Bills were NOT being paid...without gas and electric (& who knows whatever other outstanding bills were due) the ground would have been closed, and the Club SUSPENDED. This would then have led to the Club being booted out of the Isthmian League! Now these bills have been paid, I understand, as I am sure the Trust are aware. So how could things 'perhaps not' be worse???

To be honest I am extremely disappointed with this statement, whic as far as I am concerned, offers nothing. Tony Blairs spin doctors would have been proud of it!
I'm going to post it up on BrixtonBuzz tomorrow and link back to this thread - hopefully that will (a) help advertise the event (b) get more people down and (c) give people a fuller background to what's going on.

I'll take a look later - any match reports from anyone?
Joel Virgo took a set of photos at Canvey, I'm sure if you ask him he'll let you use some again.

A quick attempt at a match report.

Dulwich Hamlet failed to add to this season's fine collection of late away wins on a windswept Canvey Island.

The Hamlet dominated the first twenty minutes, Erhun Oztumer unlucky to hit the post when through on goal before Xavier Vidal fired a low free-kick home to make it 1-0. But whilst the travelling support sang and jumped and bashed their way towards half-time the South London side lost their way.

The Canvey Islanders' more rudimentary football seemed better suited to the howling estuary atmosphere. Jay Curran equalized in the 33rd minute and just before half-time Harrison Chatting hit a slightly confusing second.

The Rabble entered the second 45 confident in their side's ability to comeback, but it wasn't to be. An uneventful half, the main 'highlight' being a huge scrap by the dug-outs which saw Hamlet boss Gavin Rose sent to the stands for a crime as yet unspecified.

Canvey's number 5 got sent off with a few minutes to go and there was a flurry of pressure, but it was too little, too late.

The Rabble stayed behind the goal singing after the match (to the visible confusion of the home fans), a vociferousness that was continued on the way home, the train to Fenchurch Street a scene of yet more singing and dancing and bashing. There were also reports of Hamlet fans marauding over Tower Bridge abusing people for heading north and attacking tourists carrying Jack Wills bags. Shocking scenes, Brian.

1891162_10153821405815453_2078163490_n.jpg

(my own photo.. Caption: Mournful DHFC fans travel home in contemplative silence after a disappointing away defeat.)

Edit: Just found these two write-ups of the Thamesmead match. "Hamlet were backed by their vocal following behind the goal, known as 'The Rabble' with their banners and original football songs... It was really encouraging to seeing lots of fans less than thirty years of age, of all colours, creeds and salaries" and "The most individual of London clubs, though, is Dulwich Hamlet – whilst they are still housed just yards from East Dulwich station, their distinctively clashing pink and blue colours, unique name and diverse fanbase means that Dulwich are a little bit more than your average non-league team."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom