Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Oh dear...where to start????
no wonder this forum is entitled "chat, rumours, reports"

As it stands, from what has been posted, the Supporters' Trust appear to be the ones to save the Club. and how exactly will they do that. The various debts under the mismanagement of Nick McCormack are rumoured to be around eighty to a hundred thousand pounds! Any ideas how that will be cleared by The Trust? If we wait for them to swing into action then the club will already be shut down!

I'm certainly no advocate of property developers, but if they are as hard-nosed as people on here believe (& yes, they probably are, to an extent, as that's what their job ebtails) they would not lift a finger to help the Club and simply let it die. but it appears they are not doing that and are keen to help the Club out. right now we need a Club to support! First and foremost...that is the most important for me.

I understand they will be holding a public meeting at the ground in the near future, and while it will have a Trust presence I also understand it's not a Trust meeting, but an open one for everyone at the Football Club, be that the trust, The Football Club itself, and many, many individual supporters who are not members of the Trust, and who do not want them to be their mouthpiece.

With regard to Greendale....well people are very keen on quoting elected representatives from the Council...who they might not have the time of day for, or turst, on any other matter. It's well known that politicians can say one thin publically, while having totally opposite private views.

Greendales IS Metropolitan Open Land, and yes that is protected by law. But...it can be de-designated and built on, on built on sensitively. I have no idea what plans might be, but for example...the old all-weather pitch behind the ground, which we lease from the Council is in effect already built on that open space. The rest of it is a crap bit of scrubland. Nobody is suggesting building housing on there, merely modern sports facilities for the 21st century for our Club. I am sure there will be land around it that can be used for other community uses, that can benefit the area too.

With regard to our current ground being 'adequate'...no it's certainly not! It might look ok, but it is an extremely poorly designed building, on three levels, which is very expensive to maintain. And we have NO SECURITY OF TENURE. If we have a new ground built, it can be all on the one level, easier to maintain, and we can get a long term lease, which would secure the long-term future of our Club. With a long lease we can apply for grants from various football & non-footballing bodies for lot of projects too.

I, for one, tentatively back the new ground owners, and their willingness to work with us as a Club. Instead of going on about where we might or might not play just as important is who will run the Club. This is the perfect opportunity to force McCormack OUT & to push for a community run club that will ensure that our Club survives for the next hundred years.

So what if the ground is 'next door'? The current stadium holds no emotional attachments, for watching football it's a half-decent ONE SIDED GROUND. Give me a similar, or more basic one, next door with a long-term lease, with a bit of cover behind the goals anyday.

To suggest our Trust will be saviours, is i'm sorry, totally pie in the sky. They don't even have any representatives on the current Football Club committee, which tries to run the football side of things, on a day to day basis.

With regard to other locations in the area, Southwark Sports ground/Peckham Town FC; Pynners Close/wherever...these venues are VERY BASIC and would as hard to build up and to develop, if not harder, to the standard we need to stage Ryman League football, than it would to build on Greendales. Greendales IS our best option. The new ground owners will be happy, and the Football Club will have a long term future.

If we need to stay where we are I will only consider that as a 'fall-back' option, if plans to build on our current site fall through. And it IS somewhere where we have played before, as Greendales was a previous Champion Hill ground for us from 1912 until 1931, & we had huge crowds there, in the high thousands, even reaching five figure gates, on the rare occasion, according to contemporary match reports.

There is no 'spirit' of the Club at the current ground...the 'Spirit' is in the current ground, the old one on the same site, and the previous one which I have just mentioned. As far as I am concerned a ground on Greendales will STILL be Champion Hill...BUT for the first time we have a chance for supporters to have democratic control of our Club through it being run as a community club. Posh houses will be built left, right and centre anyway. Like it or not, no matter how unpalatible that might be, that is modern London in the 21st Century. i can cope with that, if it ensures the future of our Football Club.

It might not sit with one or two of you out there...but you seem happy to have our shirts adorned with Winkworths estate agents, who themselves fuel the private property gentrification of East Dulwich, Peckham & Brixton. So how 'principled' are you really?

With regard to a more 'militant' DHST...well i personally think one of ours must be one of the most poorly led ones in the country, but they seem keen to sign up lots of new members in this 'sudden' time of crisis. There's no need for an alternative one...if you are a member that contact them & call for an extraordinary meeting of members to discuss things, not just one with the developers. An organisation is only as strong as its members, so if you want change within that body and want it to be more pro-active...then push for it from within!

Personally speaking, if people lobby their local MP/councillors/vicars about all this I sincerely hope that it's in favour of a new ground first & foremost which ensures the future of our Club, with community (Ie: fan) ownership. Anything else will be opposed by many other Hamlet fans and split our fans irrevocably, and in my opinion, will lead to the demise of the Club.

But that's just my opinion, what do I know eh? Perhaps we should stop the 'rumours' and wait until we can hear and challenge whatever the Hadley property people put on the table.

What they are referring to is of the ground moving from the administrators selling the ground, to Hadley. I'm not sure of the correct legal term, but maybe this isn't classed as a 'sale'.

I understand the gas has now been re-connected, so we will be able to play at home on Saturday....but have not had that confirmed officially...I also understand a lot more is being paid too...read into that what you will, but it's not from the Trust 'war chest'...

Dulwich Mishi i'm not sure that anyone has suggested that the DHST will save us. i think i was the only one who mentioned them and i did so only because i don't know if they have a strategy or not.

Surely their strategy needs to be to work towards taking the club into fan ownership?

Yeah, I think the vibe regarding the Supporters Trust has been quite critical over these pages.

Glad the gas is back on.
well people are very keen on quoting elected representatives from the Council...who they might not have the time of day for, or turst, on any other matter. It's well known that politicians can say one thin publically, while having totally opposite private views.
I was asking as neutral a question as possible to see what their public position is, which is very important to know. Would be bizarre to not find out. And yeah, not trusting them etc. when Peter John replied I wondered whether he could remember the last time I tweeted him regarding my suggestion he clear up some fox shit in the Heygate with his mouth.

Last edited:
110% agree with Mishi. Hadleys are the only ones with the financial Muscle needed to save us from oblivion - and it is without a shadow of a doubt, oblivion that we are facing at the moment. They might screw us over, who knows, but if they do, the result will be no worse than the result that looms very ominously at present.

Dulwich Mishi i'm not sure that anyone has suggested that the DHST will save us. i think i was the only one who mentioned them and i did so only because i don't know if they have a strategy or not.

Surely their strategy needs to be to work towards taking the club into fan ownership?

I don't think it HAS to be. As an ideal fan ownership is great. In practice I think it's difficult to pull off and it's not the only option.

Another one. This time Barrie Hargrove from the neighbouring Peckham Ward:

Edit: ooooh, embedded tweets!

But why?! It's literally scrubland. I'd have thought they'd be happy to let someone sort it out and put it to use. Why are they keen on protecting shitheap?

so the concensus is that we negotiatie with Hadley's?

what's our bargaining position going to be? they;ve got our ground, the money, the lawyers. we can probably get the weight of public opinion on our side, but what's that worth in the corpocracy that we live in.

that reads as being quite combative, it's not meant to be, it's a genuine question rather than an attempt to argue with anyone.

But why?! It's literally scrubland. I'd have thought they'd be happy to let someone sort it out and put it to use. Why are they keen on protecting shitheap?
Agree it's hardly the garden of Eden. Feel free to wade in on there. I'm gonna maintain my 'neutrality' a wee while to get as many responses from them as possible.

what's our bargaining position going to be? they;ve got our ground, the money, the lawyers. we can probably get the weight of public opinion on our side, but what's that worth in the corpocracy that we live in.

that reads as being quite combative, it's not meant to be, it's a genuine question rather than an attempt to argue with anyone.

The Club ARE dealing with Hadley! Hadley are going through the books of the Limited Company to sort out the mess of debts, and-whether it is for their own needs or not- are appearing to be extremely Football Club positive.

All I can tell you at the moment is that without their current support there would be no Dulwich Hamlet game on Saturday!

Give them a chance....we need everyone to hear what they have to say, before anything happens...the matter's not helped, in my opionion, by the lack of news being put out. Sadly, this is beyond my control, and will hopefully be rectified. Transparency is a wonderful word, but it needs the people who use such a word to mean & understand it, which is why I am pushing, along with others, for the Football Club to be TRANSPARENT and make some information public!

The bargaining position is simple....we work with them to get ourselves a new ground which we can manage, on a peppercorn long term lease, and build for a community run club which will ensure our future. They are clearly committed to this otherwise they would not be helping the club now.

What do they gain? They gain our supporters supporting their proposals, for which we benefit by having a long term future. If the plans fall through, I do not believe they will cut us adrift, but would have other plans up their sleeve, such as previous suggested building around the ground (not by them, I add, but through McCormack & his cronies) to erect property on our car park, and where our 'white elephant' squash courts are.

They actually need us, even if we need them more. The sooner everything is out in the open & they speak to the fans the better, and that is what I will be pushing for at tomorrow night's Football Committee meeting.

The bargaining position is simple....we work with them to get ourselves a new ground which we can manage, on a peppercorn long term lease, and build for a community run club which will ensure our future. They are clearly committed to this otherwise they would not be helping the club now.

What do they gain? They gain our supporters supporting their proposals, for which we benefit by having a long term future. If the plans fall through, I do not believe they will cut us adrift, but would have other plans up their sleeve, such as previous suggested building around the ground (not by them, I add, but through McCormack & his cronies) to erect property on our car park, and where our 'white elephant' squash courts are.

They actually need us, even if we need them more. The sooner everything is out in the open & they speak to the fans the better, and that is what I will be pushing for at tomorrow night's Football Committee meeting.

I've a lot of sympathy for this overall view Mishi but getting into bed with developers very rarely ends well. You've got to make sure you get what you want before they get what they want because you'll find them dropping you like a stone once they've got what they came for. You say "If the plans fall through, I do not believe they will cut us adrift, but would have other plans up their sleeve ..." I'd say that was 99% NOT the case, we'd be screwed.

is there any precedent for the developers providing a new ground in situations like this? that would reassure me a fair bit.

Running up to an election in May no councillor or potential councillor will say build on Greendale
one persons S..t heap is another person eco system - its politics

The Council can play an important role in liaising and saying what is or what is not possible legally - that said it will finally end up on Eric pickles desk

With regard to Hadleys, they are property developers, so by all means talk to them (we need to talk to everyone and keep as many onside as possible)

But people know how these companies operate and what the bottom line is

if by helping DHFC they get to their goal of building houses quicker of course they will sign up to helping the club, but then again if Greendale is off dont count your cards

We need to be equidistant from everyone

But publicity is our best weapon - its started so we need to move forward

photo op Saturday ?? - for Southwark news etc........

We have the Gas now for the victory

Until we have clear news (as stated before hopefully there will be a public meeting soon). I dont think we cant make too much of a speculative strategy without possibly risking alienating people or groups who may come in handy later on...be that fans, politicians, developers or residents..

But publicity is our best weapon - its started so we need to move forward

photo op Saturday ?? - for Southwark news etc........

We have the Gas now for the victory

THIS.

Surely more publicity we get in media about how positive we are....the football, the fans and the plight of the club the better......will also add to our bargaining position if more people are aware and get behind the club.....whether that be fans, politicians, developers or residents..

possibly maybe?! :confused:

I have mentioned elsewhere that trusting a property developer is a very difficult thing to do, but Hadley's need to be given a chance to prove themselves to us, because if it's true that the Gas is back on because of them and they have contributed to the current playing budget as we will get no more money from McCormack!!

Mishi is right that in an ideal world the best solution for us would be to be relocated to Greendales in a ground more suited to is and cheaper to run and Hadley's doing what they want on the present site!

I think Mishi talks a lot of sense. Cool dispassionate heads are needed. Such is the value of property now, I wonder whether a limited development (eg car park, squash courts) with an enhanced ground on a long lease on its present site would be the compromise deal which could work for everyone.

Out of adversity and all that.

Their fans bought the club out of administration I think. Problem with that as far as Dulwich go (aside from them not being in administration) is that it wouldn't sort out the ground issue.

Correct. About 2300 fans paid £1000 each to be a member of the Trust. We have 53% share. Plus 9 fan Presidents who have normal shares of at least £50000 investment each. Also did a deal with property developer to build a Tescos in exchange for securing ground. Sigh. Plus loan from council that has already been repaid.

Dunc

As an open forum seems to be looming, I thought I'd jot down my burning questions. Perhaps we could all add to this and collate beforehand? Some Qs here can no doubt be answered among ourselves and we can trim so we look in good shape for said meeting and can give them (Hadley) advance notice of what we want to know. Apologies if any of these are old news / well-known Qs.

--Do Hadley have any intention to keep the current pitch / ground as is and build property on Greendales instead?
--The council is determined to rebuff any plans to build a new ground on the protected Greendale site. Why should we think this can be over-turned? And how?
--How much is the current ‘peppercorn’ rent from the FC to the administrators?
--What does the rent pay for – eg, use of pitch and facilities on matchdays only? Cost of hiring bar staff? All costs of running ground day-in-week-out?
--How much are the energy bills per month on average?
--What is the main source(s) of Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Limited’s losses?
--Can one or more parties purchase Nick’s 293k shares at the publically valued price of £1 each? If so, what’s the process?
--What are Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Limited’s assets, P&L for the last 5 years, and current creditors and debtors?
--What was sold and to whom in 2012 to reduce the liabilities (and shareholders’ funds) by £200k?
--Why were there 67 registered employees on an average of £30k pa salaries two years ago? (Compared to 10 people at £19k average the yr before and 2 at £11k the yr before that). Who are they? What is that cost line now?
--What rights do the 57 shareholders (in addition to Nick M) have?

My opinion is that we have two options. A) Be nice, get close to Hadley and work with them to find a resolution - but prep them for the eventuality we will go native if they don't sort us out; B) Be nice, get close to local gov and work with them to find a resolution - but prep them for the eventuality we will go native if they don't sort us out. I very much favour plan B. Can't see prop devvers doing anything for anybody but themselves. They'll string us along and hang us with the rope. Hate to say it, but I think our best (fighting) chance is to go native, big time and ugly, in the hope we garner nationwide outrage. Sooner the better. I say all this knowing I'm not party to the full details, of course. Big caveat. But without knowing the full details, that's how my gut takes me right now. More info would be gooooooood!

Ultimately, can't Hadley just evict us and let the ground lie derelict for a few years if they don't get their way with development plans? Our's seems to be a fairly weak bargaining position unless the council can be embarrassed into action over the Greendale site.

--Do Hadley have any intention to keep the current pitch / ground as is and build property on Greendales instead?
I would very much doubt it. Greendales is Metropolitan Open Land, not owned by them, it is currently Southwark Council land, leased to Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Limited. Having as sports facility on there is much more feasible, despite it being MOL. And there is already a football pitch on there, albeit without the surrounding facilities for spectators.

--The council is determined to rebuff any plans to build a new ground on the protected Greendale site. Why should we think this can be over-turned? And how?
This depends what you term as 'the council'. Current elected representatives are currently speaking out against it, but there are Council elections coming up in May. Politicianc can easily change their mind, and they are influenced by the advice of planning officers. With the failed Homebase scheme planning officers reccomended that the develelopment be accepted. Their is no reason, why Councillors may not actually accept their advice this time.

--How much is the current ‘peppercorn’ rent from the FC to the administrators?
'peppercorn' stands for what in means legally...in effect we are rent free, and were so under DHPD Ltd.

--What does the rent pay for – eg, use of pitch and facilities on matchdays only? Cost of hiring bar staff? All costs of running ground day-in-week-out?
Sorry, I don't follow the question. We do not get any rent money. The rent that we pay, or not, the 'peppercorn rent' means Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Limited (that is Nick McCormack) run & manage everything. That means the Health Club facilities, the ground, the all-weather pitch, car boot sale rent & the car wash rent; the lot. the Limited Company are responsible for all bills, including running costs, utilities & staff wages.

--How much are the energy bills per month on average?
I have no idea. the Football Club committee have never been told this, unless they are due to be cut off, in the case of the electricity. Nobody from the football Company were told anything about the gas bill, until it had been disconnected.

--What is the main source(s) of Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Limited’s losses?
Nobody knows...bills not paid! At the moment only McCormack can answer that.

--Can one or more parties purchase Nick’s 293k shares at the publically valued price of £1 each? If so, what’s the process?
I have no idea. as I understand it shares were finally offered from him to the Dulwich Hamlet Supporters Trust last year at one pound each. Clearly they are only worth a fraction of that, so they declined. Though I also understand that they did not put the offer to the membership, nor did they put in an offer at a reduced price. Which I think is quite shocking really.

--What are Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Limited’s assets, P&L for the last 5 years, and current creditors and debtors?
Ditto, only McCormack can answer that.

--What was sold and to whom in 2012 to reduce the liabilities (and shareholders’ funds) by £200k?
I am not sure, but my guess is that this were loans from Sami Muduroglu to the Club, I have no idea if they would have been in his name or another company. And these loans were written off, therefore disappearing from the balance book. But I am not a business person, so do not know the technical terms.

--Why were there 67 registered employees on an average of £30k pa salaries two years ago? (Compared to 10 people at £19k average the yr before and 2 at £11k the yr before that). Who are they? What is that cost line now?
Ditto, again! Only McCormack can answer that.

--What rights do the 57 shareholders (in addition to Nick M) have?
Basic voting rights, at the Annual shareholders meeting, and the right to speak at it. But they are not held.

For anyone who reads this, my answers do NOT represent anything official from the Football Club, they are my own answers and personal opinions.

Ultimately, can't Hadley just evict us and let the ground lie derelict for a few years if they don't get their way with development plans? Our's seems to be a fairly weak bargaining position unless the council can be embarrassed into action over the Greendale site.
They could...but I do not believe they will. Someone has already stated that they made a financial contibution to the team wage budget last week. I personally believe that they want to work with the Football Club, to get their preferred option of building us a ground next door, and helping to secure the future of the Club.
As it stands, the Club WILL die. even if it goes pear-shaped later if they renege on what I am hearing, we will at least make the end of the season. Things are still being sorted, I understand. I realise this is a bit vague, but there should be public official statements soon.
Be patient, and wait to hear what they say, that's what I suggest, believe me...if the times comes to turn on anyone then I will when the time comes. At the moment I am tentatively optimistic for the short-term future.

Back
Top Bottom